Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Antivaxxers

(103 Posts)
varian Mon 22-Nov-21 19:40:30

People who voted for Brexit are less enthusiastic about having a coronavirus vaccine, new research suggested yesterday.

A survey by YouGov for Oxford University showed Remainers are nearly 7 percentage points more likely to have the jab than people who voted Leave in the 2016 referendum, 93.8 per cent compared to 87.1 per cent.

inews.co.uk/news/politics/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-linked-brexit-voting-patterns-886803

Jillyjosie Mon 22-Nov-21 19:57:00

Interesting. I've always thought that people who voted for Brexit on Little Englander grounds were insular in approach and less likely to favour mutual support or actions to benefit the majority.
Conversely, mainland Europeans and those who favour unification plus Remainers are more likely to be communal in inclination and to support action to benefit all. That is how society broadly functions in, say, France and Germany.
Doubtless I will be shot down in flames but I do remember comparing the French public notice warning people to beware which featured three people with their arms around each other in a huddle to which the caption was 'look after each other'. The British version was the dreadful 'see it, say it, done it' combined I think with stranger danger artwork.
Look out for each other or be suspicious and turn them over to the authorities (and retreat behind your front door). Says it all, tin hat in place!

Jillyjosie Mon 22-Nov-21 19:57:53

P. S. Those were notices relating to terrorism.

M0nica Mon 22-Nov-21 20:04:48

I think it is because they are more conservative with a smallc in their views and on average, and I know this does not apply to all brexiteers, less well educated, so may well not have the knowledge to evaluate the reliability and scientific respectability of some of what they read online.

lemongrove Mon 22-Nov-21 20:14:19

‘Ere we go, ‘ere we go.
Another attempt to smear anyone who voted to leave the EU.
Well, I’m a very enthusiastic Brexit supporter and ditto for the vaccinations.
There are anti vaxxers in all EU countries and the US and anywhere else you care to mention which has sod all to do with Brexit.

Galaxy Mon 22-Nov-21 20:19:35

I voted remain I find the way people talk about those who voted Brexit abhorrent, and more worrying in many ways than the fact of leaving the EU.

M0nica Mon 22-Nov-21 20:20:20

You will note that I said ^ and I know this does not apply to all brexiteers, less well educated,^
Here is the research to support my statement blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/educational-attainment-brexit/

I was reporting research carried out by a reputable University College - The London School of Economics.

Peasblossom Mon 22-Nov-21 20:23:47

I can’t access the link.

What made then decide to conflate the two. Were there a lot of areas where comparison was made or just those two initially unconnected areas.

Statistically to link things that don’t necessarily connect without controls can be faulty.

Like did you vote Brexit. What colour is your hair. Conclusion more blonde people are likely to have voted Brexit.

I’d need to see how the research was conducted before drawing any conclusions.

Galaxy Mon 22-Nov-21 20:25:32

To be honest I dont see being less educated as being the slur that some people seem it to be.

Allsorts Mon 22-Nov-21 20:27:57

Interesting that for some they are still using every opportunity to mention Brexit. It’s happened for goodness sake.
I don’t accept such a report, everyone I know voted leave, young and old, all been vaccinated, we would rather trust the scientific view.

BlueBelle Mon 22-Nov-21 20:29:49

Funny no one said every Brexiteer did they ?

lemongrove Mon 22-Nov-21 20:33:27

They would have done BlueBelle if they felt they could get away with it.

Alegrias1 Mon 22-Nov-21 20:43:40

Usually what happens is that we have instant dismissal of surveys as not being worth the paper they're written on, all fixed etc. But tonight we jump straight to the "They're all picking on the Brexiters" type post.

Apart from Peasblossom, who did cast some doubt on the survey without accessing it.

Incidentally it's from 9 months ago. Shall we all settle down?

growstuff Mon 22-Nov-21 21:09:24

Hmm! I just Googled an article about this.

Apparently, Green Party voters reported that they were least likely to be vaccinated.

I wonder if the OP had been different, would people have been so keen to rubbish the poll? Or would they have come out with comments about muesli-munching, anarchic eco-warriors?

GillT57 Mon 22-Nov-21 21:56:13

Maybe this is one time when Brexit supporters decided to listen to the experts?

welbeck Tue 23-Nov-21 00:09:53

there are lots of people in and around london, and probably other large cities, who i doubt voted leave, if they voted at all, and who are rabid anti-vaxxers.
just heard some of them ringing james whale on talkradio;
he said they were frigging annoying him.
found that rather nostalgic, a word heard in my childhood, rarely now.
when i first heard of certain naval ships, i thought people were swearing.
anyway, of course i don't know how if those people voted, but just saying it's quite complex, the devotees of the cult of anti-vaxxers.

maddyone Tue 23-Nov-21 00:38:39

I think it’s irrelevant. It doesn’t matter whether Brexiteers are more likely to be unvaccinated. What matters is why do we have so many people who have refused the vaccination and is it possible to remedy this?

Teacheranne Tue 23-Nov-21 01:19:52

Galaxy

I voted remain I find the way people talk about those who voted Brexit abhorrent, and more worrying in many ways than the fact of leaving the EU.

I agree and I wish people would stop, especially on here!

FarNorth Tue 23-Nov-21 02:15:38

This is a link to a bbc radio programme about thinking and why human brains do not always come to logical conclusions.
On BBC Sounds - 28 mins

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011lsz

freedomfromthepast Tue 23-Nov-21 02:52:07

Thank you for posting this thread. As an American, I like learning about what is going on in other countries. Though I am not at all qualified to discuss Brexit, nor would I attempt to.

Research in the US shows that it is the more conservative and less educated that refuse THIS vaccine. I think that follows in line with the research posted in this thread.

What is funny is that it is typically the most progressive and most orthodox in the US who lean towards being anti-vaxxers. In fact, it has been in the most progressive cities that we have had measles outbreaks in the last 5 years. Many of the conservatives who are refusing this vaccine are, and have children, who are fully vaccinated otherwise.

I was not keen on getting the vaccine at first because it was so "new". Then I got sick of being locked down and was willing for them to put just about anything in there so we could co-mingle again. I did my research and learned the science started in 1990 and, for the Moderna vaccine, research has been happening for 11 years.

I just got my booster shot on Saturday. I am not going to discuss the politics of that, only to say that our government has the doses and recommends all adults get boosters in my state. The hospitals in my state are almost at capacity again. They are estimating that we will be at capacity on December 24th, IF adults get boosters. It is something like 88% of those hospitalized are unvaccinated. The rest are immunocompromised.

I can tell you, this one knocked me down. About 102 f fever for a day and a half, then I took a 4 hour nap today after sleeping all night. Now I am fine.

I am thankful that my immune system is working so well. Am also thankful that I did not get Covid. Based on my vaccine reaction, I think I would have been pretty sick.

M0nica Tue 23-Nov-21 06:36:28

People do read an awful lot into single words or phrases. No one on this thread has said anything opprobrious or derogatory about those who have a low level of educational attainment. All that has been said is that analysis of the Brexit vote shows that those who voted for Brexit, and those least likely to have the vaccine tend to have lower eductional achievements. These are facts not judgments. The judgments are the readers.

Galaxy Tue 23-Nov-21 07:05:03

Do you think I havent seen that technique tried before but nice try.

Lincslass Tue 23-Nov-21 07:36:32

lemongrove

‘Ere we go, ‘ere we go.
Another attempt to smear anyone who voted to leave the EU.
Well, I’m a very enthusiastic Brexit supporter and ditto for the vaccinations.
There are anti vaxxers in all EU countries and the US and anywhere else you care to mention which has sod all to do with Brexit.

Precisely lemongrove. These sneering pro Europeans, who really haven’t got much of a clue about real people .I am the same as you, wholeheartedly agree with the vaccination programme, and disagree totally with Johnson not mandating mask wearing. Now my sister, living in Germany, telling me yesterday about her co worker, and other German friends, who are totally against the vaccine. One because it will stop her having children, now who is uninformed. The fact that many walk in vaccine centres have closed, the fact that she can’t have her booster early, because so many have not had their first vaccine.The huge demonstrations, not covered , or only briefly, in main news. You Gov poll from Oxford University, possibly biased as majority I feel were for remaining in the EU.

Peasblossom Tue 23-Nov-21 09:11:44

Peasblossom

I can’t access the link.

What made then decide to conflate the two. Were there a lot of areas where comparison was made or just those two initially unconnected areas.

Statistically to link things that don’t necessarily connect without controls can be faulty.

Like did you vote Brexit. What colour is your hair. Conclusion more blonde people are likely to have voted Brexit.

I’d need to see how the research was conducted before drawing any conclusions.

I should have made it clear I was
a) asking a question
b) wondering if varian would repost the link or give me an alternative.

Very poor posting on my part.

Just to be clear, I voted Remain. (And got all my vaccines)

Im always wary of any statistic till I’ve seen how the research has been conducted.

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Nov-21 09:17:30

We don't like facts, do we? They're worse than experts.

Nobody's sneering at anybody; a survey of 2,000 people found that there was a correlation between Brexit voters and anti-vaxxers.

You can make of that what you will. It is what it is. Maybe there's a correlation between redheads and antivaxxers too, but its not nearly so interesting is it?

Now you can all come on here and tell us that YOU voted Brexit and YOU'VE had your jags so obviously its just those nasty Remainers making things up again. Or we could actually try to understand the statistics.