Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

PM Press Conference. Anyone else feeling despair?

(167 Posts)
annie61 Tue 30-Nov-21 18:01:53

Just that, really. Government going all out to get every adult 'boosted' ASAP. Fair enough - but it does feel to me like this will go on and on for years.

Masks everywhere, more variants to probe and study, more boosters, more and more restrictions. Maybe I'm just a little low, but I honestly felt utter depair after that conference this evening.

mumofmadboys Thu 02-Dec-21 15:50:31

Unfortunately covid is not always like a common cold songstress.

maddyone Thu 02-Dec-21 17:42:05

MayBee70

Anyone who stands too close to me at the moment will definitely have their civil liberties eroded……

gringringrin

growstuff Fri 03-Dec-21 01:19:09

songstress60

I am sick of these rules. I am vaccined so I will NOT adhere to social distancing. If we are all vaccinated let's get back to normal, and restore the economy, because that is the most important thing now. We can't have people out of work and starving. This variant is not even serious, and as for lockdown I will NOT obey it, because I am visiting family in February as it is my birthday. Spent it on my own this year, spent Christmas alone. All this social distancing and lockdowns are a form of social control. Our civil liberties are being eroded. We have a virus. Let's live with it like the common cold otherwise we will all suffer mentally

1 No, we are not all vaccinated. Children aren't, nor are some other groups of people who can't be vaccinated. Their civil liberties are being stolen by people who won't respect social distancing.

2 No, I don't believe the "economy" is ever the most important thing.

3 Nobody knows whether the latest variant is more or less serious than other known variants - and we won't know for some more weeks. Hopefully, it will result in less severe outcomes, but until that's known, only a fool would ignore it.

4 Many people can carry on working without being in close contact with others and they should, so that transport and other services are safer for those wo do have to work outside the home.

5 If you're in the UK, there isn't any new lockdown. Even if there were, your birthday is no reason to break it.

6 The common cold is nowhere near so severe as Covid. We won't all suffer mentally - most people behave like sensible adults and naturally have low periods, but can work round them. Most people won't be gaslighted by silly comments about all suffering mentally.

growstuff Fri 03-Dec-21 01:19:33

songstress60

I am sick of these rules. I am vaccined so I will NOT adhere to social distancing. If we are all vaccinated let's get back to normal, and restore the economy, because that is the most important thing now. We can't have people out of work and starving. This variant is not even serious, and as for lockdown I will NOT obey it, because I am visiting family in February as it is my birthday. Spent it on my own this year, spent Christmas alone. All this social distancing and lockdowns are a form of social control. Our civil liberties are being eroded. We have a virus. Let's live with it like the common cold otherwise we will all suffer mentally

1 No, we are not all vaccinated. Children aren't, nor are some other groups of people who can't be vaccinated. Their civil liberties are being stolen by people who won't respect social distancing.

2 No, I don't believe the "economy" is ever the most important thing.

3 Nobody knows whether the latest variant is more or less serious than other known variants - and we won't know for some more weeks. Hopefully, it will result in less severe outcomes, but until that's known, only a fool would ignore it.

4 Many people can carry on working without being in close contact with others and they should, so that transport and other services are safer for those wo do have to work outside the home.

5 If you're in the UK, there isn't any new lockdown. Even if there were, your birthday is no reason to break it.

6 The common cold is nowhere near so severe as Covid. We won't all suffer mentally - most people behave like sensible adults and naturally have low periods, but can work round them. Most people won't be gaslighted by silly comments about all suffering mentally.

coastalgran Fri 03-Dec-21 12:32:31

I think it will become like the flu jab was 20 odd years ago, now most people get their flu jab without giving it a second thought and it keeps us relatively safe from a killer virus in certain sectors of society. I must admit I quite like a mask in busy places it stops everyone coughing and sneezing over each other and passing on their germs. Go back 2 years to this time of year in busy shops and everyone sniffling and coughing in the food aisles. Every cloud as they say.

varian Fri 03-Dec-21 17:05:52

It does not hurt the economy for people to wear masks in shops, public places and on public transport.

I belong to a club which meets in a very well run village hall. This week new rules were issued regarding opening windows and mask wearing. I and a minority of others obeyed the rules.

Now it is probably true that as we are all over sixty, we have all been jabbed two or three times and therefore have a certain degree of immunity.

However vaccinated people can still catch covid and infect others, even if they are asymptopmatic.

Amongst our club members there are several who are immunocompromised, including some currently undergoing chemotherapy. I would be appalled if I were responsible for infecting anyone.

It is noticeable that the "I'm not wearing a mask" brigade all seem to be politically right wing. Are they encouraged to ignore rules because Johnson and his friends get away with ignoring the rules?

Iam64 Sat 04-Dec-21 08:35:21

Thanks varian for mask wearing in your community group. I was the only mask wearer out of 12 in our community hall on Wednesday. Heaters on, no ventilation as someone closed the door to keep the draft out.
A woman Ive seen but never spoken with previously, asked me about an hour in to our class ‘are you feeling vulnerable’. I was surprised at her question and tone.

Nannapat1 Sun 05-Dec-21 09:34:34

Hmm growstuff, Edith Eger, who survived concentration camps, herself said that there is no hierarchy of suffering. If someone is deeply depressed, then that has to be respected and pointing out the worse situations of others will not make them 'snap out of it'
As to the OP, yes definitely covid weary and sincerely hoping that like the Spanish Flu, it does soon disappear, or at least be just another mostly mild seasonal virus.

Josianne Sun 05-Dec-21 10:15:48

That is true Nannapat1, and there is no hierarchy of what sort of things cause suffering either. I have read the diary of Anne Frank so many times and what strikes me is her simple lines that she misses riding her bike or listening to bird song. All this when far more traumatic things were happening in the world. So who is to belittle her feelings?

varian Sun 05-Dec-21 18:08:48

No hierarchy of suffering. But some suffering could be avoided if our politicians made the right decisions at the right time.

Nannapat1 Sun 05-Dec-21 21:44:16

Thank you Josianne for your response. Judging others is not helpful x

Nannapat1 Sun 05-Dec-21 21:45:34

Varian I think you have missed the point of this debate.

Norah Mon 06-Dec-21 14:41:47

No despair. Continue masking, distancing, get jabbed, cancel Christmas and carry on.

rosie1959 Mon 06-Dec-21 16:45:15

Norah

No despair. Continue masking, distancing, get jabbed, cancel Christmas and carry on.

Christmas will still happen Covid or not

growstuff Mon 06-Dec-21 17:55:00

Nannapat1

Hmm growstuff, Edith Eger, who survived concentration camps, herself said that there is no hierarchy of suffering. If someone is deeply depressed, then that has to be respected and pointing out the worse situations of others will not make them 'snap out of it'
As to the OP, yes definitely covid weary and sincerely hoping that like the Spanish Flu, it does soon disappear, or at least be just another mostly mild seasonal virus.

You've missed my point, but never mind.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 06-Dec-21 18:55:15

Songstress I am also sick of, sick of people thinking that the economy is more important than people dying and that they are not going to follow the rules., Wearing a mask and keeping your distance will not harm either the economy or s person. I just hope you don’t get covid despite being jabbed and having to tell a medic that they are wasting their time wearing a mask.