Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

First omicron death

(59 Posts)
maddyone Fri 17-Dec-21 10:39:27

Do you think the public should be informed of the vaccination status of the first omicron patient who died? I entirely agree that the patient and his/her family have the right to privacy, but do the public need to know the vaccination status and age of the patient in order to make informed decisions about their actions during this difficult time. By disclosing these details, the family maintain their privacy, but the public would find it easier to assess risk. We don’t yet know how dangerous, or not, the omicron variant is, but surely if the first death was a fully vaccinated 45 year old, it’s very different from an unvaccinated 75 year old. What are your thoughts?

M0nica Sat 18-Dec-21 23:02:34

GrannyLaine, I am not obese but members of my family are and I know at least one who avoids going to the doctor because he is fed up with his (not excessive) overweight coming up in every consultation.

You cannot read what doctors are constantly saying in public not to understand why any obese person visiting them just assumes that the doctor is mentally condemning them for their overweight.

25Avalon Sat 18-Dec-21 10:00:06

Dh always says take what newspapers say with caution. If they are recording an event you have been involved in personally you will see for yourself that it is not the full or even entirely truthful story. If that’s true of something you were involved in then it will be true of everything you read.

ayse Sat 18-Dec-21 09:24:30

25Avalon

Hmmmm! It was the DM reporting what a caller had claimed on LBC. I didn’t read the headline with the claimed bit properly only the rest of the article. Supposed to be an anti vax conspirator theorist. Who knows? As Mark Twin said “ if you don’t read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed.”

And that’s the problem. So many rumours abound.

The newspapers are generally sensationalist and do the best they can to sell their product. What they say, may or may not be a version of a truth. I’d agree with Alegrias1 in and early post where fear is being used to try to gain compliance.

Unfortunately, misleading information only makes some even more suspicious and incorrect figures given by government only muddies the situation further.

The same applies to government advice. The now wishy washy advice has lead to ‘sensible’ people cancelling parties etc. and others who are carrying on as normal, ignoring the measures in place. It’s all so inconsistent.

Failure to have forensic public discussions just adds to the confusion and suspicion. It’s all about opinion.

GrannyLaine Sat 18-Dec-21 09:22:40

@M0nica
Professional Medics are always saying how exasperated by people who are ill because they are overweight/smoke/drink etc etc.
I don't think this is true. This may be their personal view, to which they are entitled. But to declare on national news that one doesn't have much sympathy for those they are caring for is another thing entirely. No one is "getting all up tight" as you put it, but merely observing that it is at odds with the code of professional conduct.

Alegrias1 Sat 18-Dec-21 09:12:02

Oh, he's a conspiracy theorist now is he?

That's convenient.

In answer to maddyone's OP - this is why we don't need to know.

25Avalon Sat 18-Dec-21 09:10:57

Mark Twain

25Avalon Sat 18-Dec-21 09:10:18

Hmmmm! It was the DM reporting what a caller had claimed on LBC. I didn’t read the headline with the claimed bit properly only the rest of the article. Supposed to be an anti vax conspirator theorist. Who knows? As Mark Twin said “ if you don’t read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed.”

Alegrias1 Sat 18-Dec-21 09:07:08

Somebody rang into a phone in yesterday and claimed to know all about the person. Many of the news sites have run with it. It could be completely made up. Now we are speculating if he caught it at the Post Office.

Tell me again how no-one falls for false news and how what's on the news could never be propaganda?

MissAdventure Sat 18-Dec-21 09:05:27

I don't know where I read about his details being held back, either.
It's all a jumble online!
The details may well be out now.

25Avalon Sat 18-Dec-21 09:02:41

I read it somewhere MissA but don’t ask me where. I look at several online news sites. One of them was bound to dig it out.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Dec-21 09:00:17

I understood that no details have been released concerning any of those details?

25Avalon Sat 18-Dec-21 08:53:18

I read he was just turned 70, wasn’t vaccinated, and seemed in good health. Apparently he never went out or met anyone a relative said. He did go to the Post Office, however, and must have fetched or had deliveries of groceries. One can only assume he contracted Covid on trips to the post office. To say he never went out or met anyone as some media reported was not true and feeds people’s fears.

Marydoll Sat 18-Dec-21 08:45:15

Although agreeing it is not professional, I can understand why medical staff, pushed to the brink would do this. So many people in hospital unnecessarily, who may have had a fighting chance if they had been vaccinated.

Also, I can understand people may not be able to have the vaccine for medical reasons, but you must still take responsibility for trying to keep as safe as you can.
My clinicians were reluctant to give me a second dose after a severe reaction to the first, but I insisted, despite a history of bad reactions. I am CEV and I want to do do everything possible to avoid being seriously ill.

A friend of mine died, after becoming infected with Covid at a pre op assessment and her carers became seriously ill, despite all the precautions they took.
Some people are stuck between a rock and a hard place. It is the most awful disease.

However, if you refuse vaccination because you are a conspiracy theorist and it is your right to refuse, will you refuse hospital intervention if you do catch Covid, because you made that choice? I doubt it.

Alegrias1 Sat 18-Dec-21 08:10:37

I'm sure medics feel frustrated about people doing things that endanger their health. I'm sure lots of them have a moan at their mums. I just don't expect them to go on national tv to tell us about it.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Dec-21 08:09:16

I would think it's fairly obvious that health staff, along with others who work with complex needs people, come across some who beggar belief.

Its bad form to be openly complaining though.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 18-Dec-21 08:02:05

The ‘secret surgeon’ wrote in the Guardian recently about his covid ward which was full of unvaccinated patients. He admitted that it made him/her cross that these people were taking beds from those with serious non-covid illnesses. My daughter who works in a hospital in South London, was having a bit of a moan to me the other day, where she blamed the unvaccinated for covid still being so prevalent.

I have one friend who is unvaccinated. She won’t give a reason just that it is her personal decision. At a small, well ventilated do the other evening, she appeared without a mask. I told her straight away to put her mask on! ‘Oh’, she said, ‘do we still have to wear them indoors?’

Galaxy Sat 18-Dec-21 07:41:50

I agree, I work with families with a range of issues, I wouldnt dream of going on TV and discussing how frustrated I was about a particular behaviour. I would be sacked for one thing. It makes me really concerned.

Calendargirl Sat 18-Dec-21 07:33:07

GrannyLaine

Alegrias1

And...

I don't think its professional for professional medics to tell us that there is a segment of the population that they are frustrated with. I don't think its professional at all. How would it look if a doctor came on TV and told us that they were fed up looking after people who let themselves get fat? They might feel that, but I do not expect them to say it on national TV.

Absolutely this!
I was shocked to hear this on yesterdays news. Imagine being a relative with a loved one in intensive care and hearing on TV that the nursing & medical staff don't have sympathy for the desperately ill patients they are caring for. Very unprofessional.

If I was one of their relatives, and they were very ill with Covid after refusing the vaccination, I would feel that sadly the nursing staff were quite justified in their views. No one is saying they aren’t being looked after to the best of their ability.

I get fed up seeing people begging others to get the vaccine after having nearly died, but they were too busy, didn’t know enough about it, hadn’t been told where to go ……

M0nica Sat 18-Dec-21 07:24:59

Professional Medics are always saying how exasperated by people who are ill because they are overweight/smoke/drink etc etc.

Why should we get all up tight when they express the same frustration about the unvaccinated in hospital with COVID?

GrannyLaine Fri 17-Dec-21 21:22:03

Alegrias1

And...

I don't think its professional for professional medics to tell us that there is a segment of the population that they are frustrated with. I don't think its professional at all. How would it look if a doctor came on TV and told us that they were fed up looking after people who let themselves get fat? They might feel that, but I do not expect them to say it on national TV.

Absolutely this!
I was shocked to hear this on yesterdays news. Imagine being a relative with a loved one in intensive care and hearing on TV that the nursing & medical staff don't have sympathy for the desperately ill patients they are caring for. Very unprofessional.

M0nica Fri 17-Dec-21 21:10:01

This may well be true, but with out proper verification, we can only treat it as speculation.

grannyrebel7 Fri 17-Dec-21 20:35:31

Someone called LBC this morning purporting to be the stepson of the deceased Omicron patient. He said that he was in his seventies and unjabbed.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Dec-21 20:31:00

And...

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Dec-21 20:17:51

They are professionals expressing professional opinions. I cannot think that people of such integrity would be acting for the integrity-free-zone that is Boris Johnson.

I don't for minute suggest that the medics are acting for Johnson or the government. I don't for a minute doubt the truth of what they are saying. But it is sensationalising their situation.

Sorry.

M0nica Fri 17-Dec-21 20:15:39

We do not know whether they died with omicron or of it. They may have already been in hospital being treated for something that they were dying of - cancer for example and that was the main cause of death, not the omicron that they tested positive for.

We know nothing but that one person has died. The deep signifcance is despite being highly infectious and having been around for some weeks, so far only one person has died with the disease.

It could be that the disease is mild, it could be because most people are vaccinated, it could be because the drug treatment they now use is so effective, but it could be the one swallow, that does not necessarily betoken summer, but often can.