Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So worried about my DD and DGD

(28 Posts)
sazz1 Sun 19-Dec-21 12:27:40

I'm so worried about my DD. She has tested positive for Covid and lives alone, no partner, with 7 yr old DGC. She rang to say she was really ill yesterday morning. I rang back at lunchtime and DGC answered the phone saying mummy is really ill she's on the floor. She took the call and said she had fainted in the kitchen. She rang 111 as she was very dizzy. They wanted to send an ambulance. I sent DIL who is local to check on her while OH drove there. We live 2 hrs away. DIL said she hadn't been drinking enough so perhaps that caused it. She stopped feeling dizzy after cups of tea and squash.
OH can't go in the house only the garden as she doesn't want him to catch it. She cancelled the ambulance as she didn't feel faint and dizzy anymore. I don't know what to do. Should I offer to bring them here, or move in there? Is that breaking covid rules? It's so worrying. Thanks for reading.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 19-Dec-21 12:44:56

I’d be there like a shot and probably bring them back to my home if she’s well enough to travel. I know she should be isolating but she’s too ill to look after herself or her child. Take sensible precautions like wearing a mask as much as you can and washing your hands obviously. You may decide she shouldn’t have cancelled the ambulance. Please don’t delay any further, you should be looking after your daughter not asking what we think.

sazz1 Sun 19-Dec-21 12:53:15

OH is there atm, but she won't let him in the house incase he catches it. He's doing shopping and talking to the child in the garden. If she faints again he will go in and ring ambulance. Its so difficult as I'm clinically vulnerable and home looking after the 2 dogs.

MerylStreep Sun 19-Dec-21 12:54:17

If that had been one of my girls they would be with me now
No ifs, buts, as to what’s right or wrong.

25Avalon Sun 19-Dec-21 12:55:36

Likely she won’t come to yours as she doesn’t want your OH to get it. Provided she does a lateral test that is negative DGC can come and stay with you without breaking any rules. Otherwise surely if dd self isolates in one room of the house then you could go and look after her and dgc.

lavenderzen Sun 19-Dec-21 12:59:08

What an awful situation for you.
You must weigh up the situation and do what is best for you all, however difficult that may be.
Obviously you want to be with her and the little one. I would bring them back to you and take it from there. At least you will see how she is and can look after your grandchild. Don't hesitate to ring for medical help if you feel it is necessary.
I hope you can manage to get this sorted out and your daughter starts to improve.

25Avalon Sun 19-Dec-21 13:00:42

Sazzl if you are clinically vulnerable then it is not a good idea for you to go there or dd to come to you and she knows it. Insisting will only make her feel worse.

Josianne Sun 19-Dec-21 13:00:50

The welfare of your 7 year old DGD is paramount sazzl. Can she be taken in by the local DiL? If not, I would bring her back to yours.

Hetty58 Sun 19-Dec-21 13:06:18

sazz1, as you're clinically vulnerable, you need to stay well clear! You can be in touch, on the phone, of course. Your DD sounds sensible enough to keep DH in the garden - as she should.

ElaineI Sun 19-Dec-21 13:36:58

If you are clinically vulnerable, is there a chance your DH could stay with them if DD isolates in her bedroom then at least DGD has an adult there and if your DD gets worse your DH can phone the ambulance? It's a difficult situation. Other than that she could isolate at your house? DH could have in back of car with windows open?

EllanVannin Sun 19-Dec-21 14:08:25

Poor things, but what a predicament too. I'm thinking that I'd have DD and DGD with yourselves and if possible put DD in a spare room, if available, which is well ventilated.
I couldn't live with the thought that both would alone , but that's the chance/ risk that I'd take rather than worrying over the Christmas break.

MayBee70 Sun 19-Dec-21 14:12:45

Bringing someone back in a car is probably far more dangerous than being in a house with them and isolating. A neighbour who has a friend who’s on SAGE told him cars are the most dangerous places to be with an infected person. Nightmare for you.

Chestnut Sun 19-Dec-21 16:21:47

Wherever she ends up make sure she has a pulse oximeter with her and uses it regularly as that will indicate if her blood oxygen level is low. If her blood oxygen level drops then get her to hospital immediately as that is the warning sign. It's very small and easy to use. Just put your finger in and read the number.

Luckygirl3 Sun 19-Dec-21 16:29:55

If you are clinically vulnerable your DD would never forgive herself if you brought her to your house and then you caught it and became very ill. She won't even let your OH in, so I can't see her agreeing to travel in a car with him for 2 hours and come to your home. Could your OH get a hotel room nearby and be in constant contact with her? You could Whatsapp and facetime her constantly to monitor how she is. It sounds as though her DD has her head screwed on and could be instructed what to do if Mum gets any worse.

And your OH could buy an oximeter for her, so she could monitor herself oxygen-wise.

What a pickle to be in - but remember she is young and is unlikely to become seriously ill, especially if she has been vaccinated.

I am sure you just want to scoop her up and look after her; but these are not normal times and some sort of compromise needs to be found. Sorry you are faced with this.

AGAA4 Sun 19-Dec-21 16:34:43

It sounds to me as though your DD would have been better going into hospital where she can be cared for.
You can then sort out arrangements for looking after the 7 year old.
At the moment neither is getting the care they need and you are in an awful dilemma.

sazz1 Sun 19-Dec-21 19:42:32

Thank you for all your kind messages. She became extremely dizzy with room spinning again today. GP has prescribed some tablets to help and they are working. Not completely, but she can stand up now.
OH is staying in a friend's flat and taking takeaway meals for them with fruit from a shop. Not a brilliant diet but ok in the short term. The child takes it in the house for them. They are happier now granddad is around even though he's not inside.
She still has headache fever and coughing. Just hoping it doesn't last long

AGAA4 Sun 19-Dec-21 19:49:52

I hope your DD feels better very soon. Glad the GP could help ?

Smileless2012 Sun 19-Dec-21 19:51:51

Oh dear sazzl what a worry for you. I hope she begins to feel better soonflowers.

Calistemon Sun 19-Dec-21 19:52:07

sazz1z. How worrying and for your little DGD too, who must be frightened, especially at night. Can your DGD stay with DIL nearby? It's an enormous responsibility for a 7 year old.

I hope your OH has been fully vaccinated; can he not stay there but DD keep isolated in her own room?

Ali23 Sun 19-Dec-21 19:53:52

That sounds like a great plan to me, Sazzl. My OH is clinically vulnerable and I know my ACn wouldn’t let him near them either.

silverlining48 Sun 19-Dec-21 22:53:13

The dizziness could be labrynthitis a condition which can be helped with special medication but is very debilitating,
It’s probably helpful for someone to be around. Does her daughter know how to dial for help if necessary.
Try not to worry, if your dh is there and other family nearby, and things will get better.

crazyH Sun 19-Dec-21 23:03:20

Oh dear, what an awful situation. Your DH is there, and I’m sure will deal well with the situation. Your d.I.l. Is near as well. Try not to worry too much. Easy for me to say but I do hope things improve soon for your daughter. I’m not a doctor but it could be an inner ear infection.

Shelflife Sun 19-Dec-21 23:13:46

You must protect yourself. Your DH is close by and monitoring the situation, that will give your DD some reassurance. Is there anyone else who can take care of your GC? If she deteriorates an ambulance must be called. I am so sorry this is happening , it is very distressing for a 7 year old child and I think he would be better in the care of someone else if that is possible?

sazz1 Mon 20-Dec-21 00:56:27

Apparently the dizzyness is often a symptom of covid according to the GP. The pills are helping a lot but she still has temperature and severe headache like migraine.
I really wish the government would stop saying its a mild illness as quite often it isn't. They don't list all the possible symptoms either.
Her brother has loaned her his oxymeter (he's asthmatic) and its a normal reading atm tg.
We are all double vaccinated and had boosters except DD didn't have the booster yet.
Really appreciate all your support it's so hard when family are a long way away and are ill.
It happened so fast in the morning she rang to say she had a cold and bit of a cough. Took LF which was positive then went for PCR for herself and child in the afternoon at 2pm. By 4 o'clock she had fainted on the floor, high temperature, coughing badly and very dizzy.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

MayBee70 Mon 20-Dec-21 01:55:50

I do sympathise. My SIL caught covid on a business trip to America and it was awful thinking of him being ill and so far away from home. We were planning to go away for a few weeks but with covid rates going up I wanted to stay close to my family. Not in case I caught it ( unlikely as I don’t go out) but so I could be close to them. I hope your daughter picks up soon. What a worry for you. It makes me even more angry with people that say covid is just like having a bad cold, though.