Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Perhaps our situation with covid is looking up

(159 Posts)
FarNorth Thu 30-Dec-21 19:53:51

Dr John Campbell, with stats showing that the outlook may not be as bad as feared.

youtu.be/OM2VgBm9pTI .

Barmeyoldbat Thu 30-Dec-21 20:54:14

We will see

lemsip Thu 30-Dec-21 21:20:43

well I've just read this on NHS England.

NHS plans new Nightingale facilities in response to Omicron
30 December 2021
Coronavirus
The NHS is setting up new Nightingale surge hubs at hospitals across the country as part of preparations for a potential wave of Omicron admissions.

Temporary structures capable of housing around 100 patients will be erected in the grounds of eight hospitals across the country, with work starting as early as this week.

vegansrock Thu 30-Dec-21 21:40:42

Hospital admissions the highest since February plus record numbers of cases.

Grannybags Thu 30-Dec-21 21:47:32

Deaths rates are increasing

LadyWee Thu 30-Dec-21 21:47:38

It is all Political game play now. The NHS and it’s staff have been abandoned by the government and their leaders to fend for themselves.

Alegrias1 Thu 30-Dec-21 21:59:21

We'll have no optimism here Farnorth, what are you thinking?

P.s. death rates are not increasing.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 30-Dec-21 22:07:34

Yes they are, think it was on the news. What a mess this bunch in government have got us into, Johnson can’t even be bothered to attend COBRA meetings, instead spending his time on photo shoots. We haven’t even got enough testing kits.

Hetty58 Thu 30-Dec-21 22:11:00

Where will the staff for the Nightingale hubs come from? Let's just hope and pray that we don't need them.

Alegrias1 Thu 30-Dec-21 22:11:42

No, they most certainly are not.

Lincslass Thu 30-Dec-21 22:16:53

Grannybags

Deaths are falling coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

rosie1959 Thu 30-Dec-21 22:26:39

Perhaps if they sorted out the hospital admissions because of Covid from the admissions that just happen to be positive for Covid it would give a true picture

Urmstongran Thu 30-Dec-21 22:30:15

I think (and have high hopes) we are turning a corner now. I’m optimistic by nature.

JenniferEccles Thu 30-Dec-21 22:37:03

Oh let’s not spoil the fun of the eternal doomsayers.
The building of the Nightingale is possibly, to quote a phrase, an abundance of caution.

All the signs point to us having turned a corner, despite the rise in cases.

Have faith folks!

Urmstongran Thu 30-Dec-21 22:39:28

Covid spreading at steadier rate as exponential growth stops, study suggests
ZOE Covid Study says trend has emerged despite daily new symptomatic cases being more than double those at this time last year.

Heartening news surely?

growstuff Thu 30-Dec-21 22:40:10

rosie1959

Perhaps if they sorted out the hospital admissions because of Covid from the admissions that just happen to be positive for Covid it would give a true picture

Those figures are available rosie1959. Those who are asymptomatic and those who catch Covid in hospital are still in the minority. It's a red herring.

Nevertheless, they all cause problems for the NHS. Those who are asymptomatic, but don't need urgent treatment, can be sent home. Those who catch Covid in hospital still need special care with extra controls in place. The fact that they're catching Covid in hospital is an indication of high community transmission. Infected patients could be more difficult to treat, whatever the source of transmission.

rosie1959 Thu 30-Dec-21 22:44:08

I wasn't really thinking of those cases Growstuff if I am admitted because I have appendicitis or a broken leg and I happen to test positive for Covid I am included in the Covid figures when actually Covid has nothing to do with the reason for my admission to hospital

Casdon Thu 30-Dec-21 22:50:08

You’d still be in hospital taking up a bed rosie1959, and therein is the nub of the problem. The NHS is struggling to cope with the backlog of non Covid cases as well as increasing Covid admissions, and if a patient admitted for another reason tests positive whilst in hospital, whether incidentally or not, they require separation from non infected patients, many of whom are vulnerable because they are immune compromised. It’s a logistical nightmare.

Grannybags Thu 30-Dec-21 22:54:12

Lincslass

Grannybags

Just quoting what I saw on the BBC tonight. They reported 332 deaths and said it was an increase

rosie1959 Thu 30-Dec-21 22:54:13

Yes I would Casdon but what I am pointing out is that people see the covid hospital admissions data and may think the admissions are all down to people being rushed to hospital with Covid
Not everybody studies and research the figures given infact I suspect most don't

Alegrias1 Thu 30-Dec-21 22:56:29

Grannybags

Lincslass

Grannybags

Just quoting what I saw on the BBC tonight. They reported 332 deaths and said it was an increase

An increase from cases reported yesterday. And it included the backlog of unreported deaths from over the Xmas period.

JaneJudge Thu 30-Dec-21 22:58:17

they are setting up a Nightingale at my nearest hospital sad

Grannybags Thu 30-Dec-21 23:10:46

Alegrias1 ?

Rosie51 Thu 30-Dec-21 23:23:09

Why is it some people just hate a bit of optimism emerging? So far Omicron is infecting way more people but hospital admissions for complications arising from Omicron are not following the same trajectory. ICU admissions and deaths so far are also not the same proportions as the Delta wave. This might change but the indications are that it won't. I've been accused (in real life) of being a bit of a Pollyanna at times, but honestly why not enjoy a bit of positivity, we've lived with the negative for almost two years.

Teacheranne Thu 30-Dec-21 23:32:25

Barmeyoldbat

Yes they are, think it was on the news. What a mess this bunch in government have got us into, Johnson can’t even be bothered to attend COBRA meetings, instead spending his time on photo shoots. We haven’t even got enough testing kits.

Rev the testing kits, I went on the gvt website two days ago and ordered a test pack despite newspapers saying none were available and showing photos of messages.

It appears that more packs become available throughout the day so you just have to try again a few times. Both my brother and sister have managed to get packs this week as well.

I really find the negativity in the newspapers and on social media tiresome at the moment.