Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Am I being too cautious about covid?

(178 Posts)
NittWitt Mon 16-May-22 19:55:20

I am still going almost nowhere and meeting no-one except sometimes seeing a friend for a walk and going to the supermarket at quiet times & sometimes the post office etc if needed. I still wear a mask to the shops.
As an older person, 68, with a relative living with me who has health problems, not CEV tho, am I being too cautious?

Is anyone else still being as cautious as this?

FarNorth Mon 23-May-22 12:06:58

yellowcanary Don't rush into doing too much - that can lead to long covid.
Take time to recover.

M0nica Mon 23-May-22 19:06:18

Life is full of risks - and always has been. Almost any illness can kill if the wrong person gets it at the wrong time.

But nothing kills as much as fear does, when we retreat into a life where we are too afraid to go out to mix and be social. Older people deprived of social contacts die, on average at a younger age than those who see and speak to people face to face.

My DH had heart surgery during the first year of COVID, which went very well. Unfortunately he developed a hospital acquired infection, not COVID that was antibiotic resistant and it was touch and go for a few days. He now has a damaged lung and cannot wear a mask. However, he has returned to normal life, on the basis that he is alive and otherwise well, he wants to get back to normal and not live under a pall of fear.

MayBee70 Mon 23-May-22 19:39:57

I haven’t started going back into shops yet and I’m not sure that I will because I’d want to wear a mask and I think I’d feel how I did at the start of the pandemic where I felt I was being laughed at for doing so.

Marydoll Mon 23-May-22 19:45:27

Lots of people here still wear masks in the supermarket.
However, I have noticed more and more elderly people, who aren't wearing them anymore.
What really annoyed me on Sunday were a maskless couple, who had squeezed into a seat at church and proceeded to cough vociferously over everyone, without covering their mouth, throughout the whole service. ?
It seems to be more middle aged and younger people, who are still wearing masks here.

M0nica Mon 23-May-22 19:53:34

What does it matter what other people think? At the start of the pandemic, when the NHS were saying masks were useless. I made and wore my own and I wore gloves. I do not know what people thought of me and wasn't interested in looking round and finding out.

I stopped wearing gloves when it became clear that COVID was infectious, not contagious and masks as soon as it was possible, although I did wear them on public transport, especially the tube for longer.

Now I carry one round in case anyone asks me to wear one, but otherwise do not bother.

Farzanah Mon 23-May-22 20:59:38

I haven’t yet had Covid but I do take reasonable precautions such as wearing a PP2 mask in shops and crowded indoor spaces and am fully vaccinated.
I am not anxious, I have not let fear inhibit my life and go out and about normally.
It’s really good news with regard to hospital admissions and deaths but I remain mindful of the situation which is, according to the latest ONS Infection Survey, that it is estimated 1 in 55 in England have Covid. 1 in 40 in Wales. 1 in 60 in NI and 1 in 45 in Scotland.
The mortality figures necessarily lag because of the delay between a death within 28 days of infection and reporting. However deaths with Covid on death certificate were 690 week 6th May. Most of those dying are over 65.
I, and some medic friends think it’s too early to be completely complacent just yet, and there are many vulnerable people to consider and protect.

M0nica Tue 24-May-22 16:01:10

Figures published by the Office for National Statistics show that COVID deaths this winter were comparable with the number of flu deaths in the years immediately preceding the pandemic. www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/overview

growstuff Tue 24-May-22 21:26:09

That's not true MOnica.

The link you posted states:

"In Winter 2021/22, deaths due to Covid have fallen to similar levels as those due to flu and pneumonia in Winters 2001/02 to 2019/20"

Covid deaths were similar to deaths due to flu and pneumonia combined in previous years.

growstuff Tue 24-May-22 21:30:15

MayBee70

I haven’t started going back into shops yet and I’m not sure that I will because I’d want to wear a mask and I think I’d feel how I did at the start of the pandemic where I felt I was being laughed at for doing so.

I still wear a mask when shopping or in other public enclosed spaces, as do quite a few other people. Nobody has ever laughed at me, nor have I felt uncomfortable. I've spent far too much time in hospital over the last couple of weeks and everybody wears a mask. Wearing a mask is the right thing for me to do and I shall carry on wearing one until there is virtually no risk of being infected.

growstuff Tue 24-May-22 21:31:25

But nothing kills as much as fear does

I honestly think that's a ridiculous statement.

NittWitt Wed 25-May-22 00:20:44

Putting my mask on before entering the supermarket, recently, I thought I'd probably be the only one doing it.
But, no, there were others there with masks on.
Not that I'd let it bother me, anyway.

Aveline Wed 25-May-22 08:04:55

I did a talk last night to a local heritage group. There were about 60 people there. No masks. Mostly older people but all so happy to be out and chatting to each other. It was lovely to see.

growstuff Wed 25-May-22 08:37:48

As I'm due to have an op soon, I've been asked to avoid situations where I could be infected from now and to self-isolate completely for three days when we have a confirmed date. I really don't want to run the risk of a delay by testing positive.

Sparklefizz Wed 25-May-22 08:38:09

I am surrounded at the moment by people who have caught Covid, many who have contracted it on holiday, others through general mingling, some for the 2nd or 3rd time like my hairdresser. As I am juggling 9 different conditions including 32 years of ME, I weigh up each risk and act accordingly.

Witzend Wed 25-May-22 08:47:24

Dh and I are early/mid 70s, triple vaxxed and both had COVID very mildly just after Christmas.

We are virtually back to normal now. I do usually still have a face mask in my bag, but hardly ever wear it any more.

M0nica Wed 25-May-22 08:55:07

Sparklefizz with that many medical problems, surely you would be weighing up each risk and act accordingly, whether COVID was around or not.

If I had reason to know that I was especially vulnerable, I would be being very careful where I went and how many people were there, regardless of the pandemic, because COVID would be just one of many infectious illnesses I would need to avoid.

The same with growstuff. Even before the pandemic, I had a friend advised to go into purdah for several days before a major operation because of the risk of picking up an infection that could delay it.

In any situation there will be special cases. My DH was among those who could't wear a mask when they were compulsory because he has respiratory problems.

Sparklefizz Wed 25-May-22 09:23:20

Sparklefizz with that many medical problems, surely you would be weighing up each risk and act accordingly, whether COVID was around or not.

Of course, but even more so now!

growstuff Wed 25-May-22 10:51:57

In the past, it was considerably less likely that anybody would pick up an infection which could delay an operation. I've never been given such advice before and I don't know of anybody who has.

Marydoll Wed 25-May-22 11:04:04

I have had a fair number of procedures done in the past, but despite being CEV, have never been asked to self isolate. I did however, have to be tested for MRSA, prior to having any op.

growstuff Wed 25-May-22 11:17:20

The OP asked whether she was being too cautious. I don't think she is. She's being very sensible, given her circumstances, and nobody has the right to say she's wrong or make her feel guilty or foolish. If other people want to take more risks, knowing full well what the outcome could be, that's up to them. I am doing what is sensible for me and I respect the hospital for not wanting me to be on the premises if there is a chance I could have Covid. Other people are taking their own circumstances into account. Since free testing was stopped, it's difficult to know how many people are currently infected, but the ONS still estimates that it's about 1 in 55.

growstuff Wed 25-May-22 11:18:53

Marydoll

I have had a fair number of procedures done in the past, but despite being CEV, have never been asked to self isolate. I did however, have to be tested for MRSA, prior to having any op.

I think being tested for MRSA is standard practice. I've already been swabbed for it. People are given special washes to use, if they prove positive.

M0nica Wed 25-May-22 14:41:52

MRSA testing is standard practice, and has been for a long time. DD had it regularly about 8-10 years ago, when she had multiple operations after a road accident.

Baggs Wed 25-May-22 15:04:38

If the Queen can go to the Chelsea Flower Show without a mask, then I suspect you are being too cautious, but it's up to you.

Marydoll Wed 25-May-22 15:16:25

Sparklefizz

^Sparklefizz with that many medical problems, surely you would be weighing up each risk and act accordingly, whether COVID was around or not.^

Of course, but even more so now!

That's a fair comment, but I was CEV, long before Covid and had no alternative, but go to work in a school of four hundred primary pupils, where it would be very difficult to avoid close contact with staff , pupils, the viruses and infections circulating.
At no time, prior to the pandemic, did any of my clinicians suggest I give up work.
It was the knowledge of how Covid itself would seriously affect me, that changed their advice and caused them to advise me to shield.

Farzanah Wed 25-May-22 18:34:43

Outside you are very unlikely to catch Covid (even at Chelsea) but indoors I weigh up the situation. In my area there will be approx 1 in 55 people who have covid, I therefore wear a PP2 mask if I go into a crowded place because there’s probably at least one person there who has covid, symptomatic or not.

I have not had covid and not fearful but I think it is best avoided if possible. I also do not want to put at risk others for whom the outcome of infection may be serious.