Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid & Shingles is there a link?

(137 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 07-Oct-22 10:30:24

My DH who had the booster last week and this week has developed shingles. I have had a quick look at the web and there has been some research in the US and some studies indicate a 15% increased risk of developing shingles following Covid itself and other studies have looked at the possible link with the vaccine although it does not seem to be conclusive. I'm thinking that most people would not report it? Wondered if anyone else had experienced something similar?

Chardy Fri 07-Oct-22 10:45:05

Now I'm 70, it was recommended I have a Shingles jab. (For the first time I've noticed Shingles ads on TV!) So that was last week's trip to surgery.
Covid & flu jabs next week.

kittylester Fri 07-Oct-22 10:48:43

Presumably you DH went to the gp to get antivirals for his shingles. Wouldn't the gp have spotted the coincidence/connection? Xx

Daisymae Fri 07-Oct-22 11:01:28

kittylester

Presumably you DH went to the gp to get antivirals for his shingles. Wouldn't the gp have spotted the coincidence/connection? Xx

Go to the GP? Noooo, it was a telephone appointment followed by a photo and then discuss with a nurse.

kittylester Fri 07-Oct-22 11:02:31

But, it would be logged as would the covid jab.

Caleo Fri 07-Oct-22 11:19:55

Shingles and covid are each caused by virus. Not the same virus though.

Different viruses/different diseases/ different symptoms,

nanna8 Fri 07-Oct-22 11:23:38

Interesting thought because they have really been pushing the shingles vaccine here over the last few months. Perhaps the Covid vaccine weakens immunity to the chicken pox virus ? Not that they would tell anyone…

Daisymae Fri 07-Oct-22 12:20:46

Caleo

Shingles and covid are each caused by virus. Not the same virus though.

Different viruses/different diseases/ different symptoms,

Not caused by the vaccine but some sort of immune response or immune suppression that allows the virus to be reactivated. There have been studies as I said.

Namsnanny Fri 07-Oct-22 12:44:21

nanna8

Interesting thought because they have really been pushing the shingles vaccine here over the last few months. Perhaps the Covid vaccine weakens immunity to the chicken pox virus ? Not that they would tell anyone…

Good point

Jaxjacky Fri 07-Oct-22 12:46:10

Can you link the studies please Daisymae?

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 12:47:53

Perhaps the Covid vaccine weakens immunity to the chicken pox virus ?

Come on now. And how would that work then? Any ideas?

Some days I really try to be nice then something like this comes up. This is how fake news starts.

Mapleleaf Fri 07-Oct-22 12:51:39

Absolutely agree, volver.

MayBee70 Fri 07-Oct-22 12:51:59

nanna8

That was my first thought. The immune system is so complicated. I hope it doesn’t put anyone off having the shingles vaccine. I, thankfully, have never had shingles but I know people that have and it’s a horrible thing to suffer from. My mum and one of my dearest friends never really got over it. I can only stress what others have said: if you think you may have shingles get aciclovir asap.

Namsnanny Fri 07-Oct-22 12:54:07

volver

^Perhaps the Covid vaccine weakens immunity to the chicken pox virus ?^

Come on now. And how would that work then? Any ideas?

Some days I really try to be nice then something like this comes up. This is how fake news starts.

You should look up and read some of the studies from Austrailia, Italy, Israel.

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 12:56:50

Thanks Mapleleaf

My husband had shingles a few months ago. No anti virals, nothing. Under doctor's orders. He got better.

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 12:58:09

You should look up and read some of the studies from Australia, Italy, Israel.

I will. Got any links? Do they say that the COVID vaccine weakens immunity to the chicken pox virus?

Namsnanny Fri 07-Oct-22 13:13:14

Weakens immunity all round.

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 13:16:17

The vaccine weakens immunity?

Really?

MayBee70 Fri 07-Oct-22 13:24:48

volver

Thanks Mapleleaf

My husband had shingles a few months ago. No anti virals, nothing. Under doctor's orders. He got better.

My mum died soon afterwards. My friend developed Alzheimer’s*And died within 2 years.
*and research has shown a link between shingles and Alzheimer’s albeit a small one. I didn’t want to actually say that because I didn’t want to scare people. But after what happened to my friend I made sure I had a shingles vaccine. At the doctors we kept aciclovir on the shelf at all times even though it was very expensive so our patients could start the course immediately.

Namsnanny Fri 07-Oct-22 13:26:21

I'm not being rude volver when I say I wont be answering you. Your welcome to put your opinions to me in a pm and I will answer you.
But I dont want to derail this thread or any other with a tit for tat spat
(I'm a poet and I didnt know itgrin)

Namsnanny Fri 07-Oct-22 13:27:36

Your = you're

Farmor15 Fri 07-Oct-22 13:28:19

You only get shingles if you've previously had chickenpox. Virus lies dormant for years but can be reactivated by eg stress. Getting Covid, or even a vaccine is a type of stress to the body so in some people could be a trigger for shingles.

No direct connection and certainly not a reason to avoid being vaccinated against Covid. However, if shingles vaccine is offered- take it!

MayBee70 Fri 07-Oct-22 13:29:06

volver. Can I just say I think it’s irresponsible of you to try to stop people taking shingles seriously.

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 13:36:36

Namsnanny

I'm not being rude volver when I say I wont be answering you. Your welcome to put your opinions to me in a pm and I will answer you.
But I dont want to derail this thread or any other with a tit for tat spat
(I'm a poet and I didnt know itgrin)

Fair enough.

If we are having a thread about how Covid may impact shingles, and someone says that the Covid vaccine might make weaken immunity to the chicken pox virus, then I expect some kind of proof of that claim or hypothesis based on tests. Because someone might see that claim and decide on the strength of that, not to have the Covid vaccine.

But you are, of course, entirely entitled not to give any scientific proof on a Social Media site. Then we'll just have to think it's based entirely on conjecture.

I don't generally do PMs when public health is being discussed.

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 13:37:33

MayBee70

volver. Can I just say I think it’s irresponsible of you to try to stop people taking shingles seriously.

Can I say it's irresponsible to tell people to take a medicine that they might to be suited to?