Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How long are you contagious after covid

(36 Posts)
M0nica Tue 01-Nov-22 16:14:21

The symptoms of COVID seem to encompass anything and everything. When DH, DD and I returned from a short cruise feeling just a bit under the weather, COVID never even occurred to us. Between us we didn't have a single one of the symptoms listed on the government site, just felt under the weather.

It was only because DD went on the cruise line site to see what other people were saying about our very enjoyable holiday and found quite a number saying they had come home with COVID, that she tested, but not expecting a negative test because none of us had a COVID symptom, but she was positive and so were we.

I think it is always best to keep away from other people if you are clearly unwell. Other people do not want your bad colds, viral infections, flu or COVID. I know this is less easy for those who work, but working from home has made that easier for many.

I will continue to act as I do now.

rosie1959 Tue 01-Nov-22 15:42:19

Fleurpepper

Which is utterly shameful, and dangerous.

But is it ? we have mostly all been vaccinated the Covid infection which in most ranges from flu like symptoms to very mild cold like symptoms. We do not report these illnesses.
There had to come a point where free testing finished I don’t think we are any different from other countries in this
What is the point of reporting it anymore who would benefit.
Trends are still being tracked by the ONS

Fleurpepper Tue 01-Nov-22 15:27:48

Which is utterly shameful, and dangerous.

rosie1959 Tue 01-Nov-22 15:24:33

Fleurpepper

Yes, testing is the only way. I do wish people would test, isolate and report.

As far as I know there is nowhere to report to anymore

Fleurpepper Tue 01-Nov-22 15:16:31

Yes, testing is the only way. I do wish people would test, isolate and report.

rosie1959 Tue 01-Nov-22 15:05:45

I think the only way to confirm Covid is to test obviously. Both my infections were very minor something I would have taken no notice of before
I have just ordered a batch of tests from Boots but pretty sure many will be carrying on as normal now untested as it does seem to produce common cold symptoms.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 01-Nov-22 14:59:03

Maybee maybe do a test? I had the same symptoms last weekend as I had when I had Covid, but this time I tested negative each day, so probably just a cold.

MayBee70 Tue 01-Nov-22 14:55:21

I looked after my grandchildren last week for a couple of days: only the second time I’ve done so since the start of the pandemic. Youngest one had a cough which he’s had for ages and I now have a bad cold: sore throat, sneezing. No temperature or muscle aches. I can only have caught it from my grandson as I don’t go anywhere. Is it possible that it’s not a cold but covid? I don’t feel particularly ill.

M0nica Tue 01-Nov-22 14:47:55

Yes, I returned from holiday feeling under the weather and then tested for COVID. I had it for over a fortnight.

I worked on the assumption that I was infectious while there was still a faint line on the test. When it goes on - and on, like mine did - and yours is, it feels endless, as if you will never be free of it, but you will, and for the sake of everyone round you, it is always bestnto be cautious. DH got it at the same time and only had it for 4 days, which was infuriating!

rosie1959 Tue 01-Nov-22 14:47:01

I had Covid last week was only positive for three days but it was a very minor illness
Even in the days when isolation was in forced that was for a maximum of 10 days. If I remember correctly I had the virus back in January again no real symptoms but I was positive for 12 days but came out of isolation day 10
You are highly unlikely to still be contagious

DaisyRose50 Tue 01-Nov-22 14:27:22

Hi folks. We went on holiday early October. Wore masks on flight and return journey but got covid symptoms two days after returning. Mostly temperature, aches and pains, sneezing, mild cough. Tested positive. Symptoms have disappeared apart from lack of appetite and unpleasant taste in the mouth. I have a post nasal drip anyway so that continues. On day 13 now and still showing a faint line on the lateral flow. My query is am I contagious, have isolated the whole time and now starting to get anxiety symptoms. Looked on the internet but no definite answers - lots of ‘experts’ disagreeing. Anyone else tested positive for this long. Many thanks for any help you can give. Daisy