Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid - remind me again...

(68 Posts)
JackyB Mon 30-Oct-23 09:03:47

Yesterday afternoon (Sunday) my DS1 and family came for the afternoon. He wasn't feeling great as he'd been out very late on Saturday night at a gig where a reasonably successful band were playing, which consisted of many ex school friends. Smoking was allowed so he felt dreadful when he got home and attributed his malaise to that.

Today he texted that he has just tested positive for Covid.

Can anyone remember what the incubation period is for COVID? Could he have picked it up on the Saturday night and been so ill already on the Sunday lunch time?

And, if he did pass it on to us, how long should we wait before testing. Tests are not free any more, so I don't want to waste one, testing too early and then living under the delusion that I'm clear.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 30-Oct-23 09:08:43

When MrOops caught it, the chap he caught it from said he felt unwell on the Friday (that he met MrOops) and tested positive on the Sunday. MrOops tested positive on the Wednesday and me on the Friday.
I can’t see a pattern here though so maybe it depends on how close you get to the person? We only had a very mild dose though thanks to the jabs.
We tested after we began to feel better, I tested negative after 6 days.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 30-Oct-23 09:10:09

PS because we were told that MrOops mate had Covid. We tested as soon as we got symptoms.

Sago Mon 30-Oct-23 09:16:54

I’m surprised at smoking being allowed!
It’s not legal to smoke indoors in a public place.
I think it’s too soon for him to have contracted it at the gig.

Marydoll Mon 30-Oct-23 09:32:54

Transmissibility, incubation period, and infectivity varies depending on the virus variants and the individual immunity. The incubation period of COVID-19 ranges from two to 14 days, with an average of five to six days for earlier strains.

Marydoll Mon 30-Oct-23 09:34:43

My son was at a work's night out on a Saturday evening and tested positive on the Wednesday morning, but he hadn't been feeling great for a few days prior to the positive result.
He works from home, so that is the only place he could have caught it.

JackyB Mon 30-Oct-23 09:40:25

Smoking is allowed in lots of places in Germany. Restaurants and bars can get special licences to allow it. It also depends on which State, as the laws vary.

Grammaretto Mon 30-Oct-23 09:46:34

I thought these vaccinations were to prevent us catching the virus. If not what are they for?
I was not well just before my birthday party in the summer. I bought test kits and tested negative so the party went ahead.
I gave the extra kits to a friend who'd just returned from USA feeling ill. She tested negative, her DH positive.
They isolated themselves for a few days.

Later I discovered that the event I had attended the week before the birthday had people dropping like flies with covid
I still have catarrh 3 months later from my non covid. I've had the booster Jag.
Don't know what to believe.

henetha Mon 30-Oct-23 09:47:32

It's mysterious. Back in September, four of us went out for a meal on my birthday. Three of us developed a really severe cold in the days which followed. One of us tested positive for covid, strangely. ( I tested three times, each time it was negative.)
We were really puzzled that only one of us had covid and two of us had severe colds, and one didn't have anything.
I'm not sure what the incubation period is.

Quokka Mon 30-Oct-23 09:47:51

I’d get a kit in anyway. They’re not expensive and usually have 5 tests in them. Then wait to see if you develop symptoms.

henetha Mon 30-Oct-23 09:49:30

PS. I think the point of the vaccination is that if we do catch Covid the symptoms are much less severe than they would be if we didn't have the jabs.

Quokka Mon 30-Oct-23 09:49:34

henetha

It's mysterious. Back in September, four of us went out for a meal on my birthday. Three of us developed a really severe cold in the days which followed. One of us tested positive for covid, strangely. ( I tested three times, each time it was negative.)
We were really puzzled that only one of us had covid and two of us had severe colds, and one didn't have anything.
I'm not sure what the incubation period is.

We had a very similar experience. I’m convinced I’ve just had Covid again but tested -ve three times.

henetha Mon 30-Oct-23 09:50:54

Yes, it is strange. I felt pretty bad and was convinced I must have covid, and yet had three negative tests.

Katyj Mon 30-Oct-23 10:26:03

I started feeling ill with covid whilst on holiday with friends. They tested positive five days later after having symptoms for two days. Hope you don’t get it.

rosie1959 Mon 30-Oct-23 12:09:25

A family member only got a positive result by using the throat and nose swab. The nose only swabs stayed negative.

midgey Mon 30-Oct-23 12:20:15

I understood that the tests do not necessarily pick up every variant.

Theexwife Mon 30-Oct-23 12:21:48

I would wait and see if you were unwell before deciding to test, Is there a reason that you would need to know if you had covid?

M0nica Mon 30-Oct-23 16:23:19

Grammaretto No vaccine is 100% effective. One of my children had measles and both had whoopinbg cough despite vaccinations but if you are vaccinated and you still catch the illness you can expect to have it far more lightly than being without the vaccination. I had measles before vaccinations and was really unwell for several weeks. DS was a bitunder the weather for 2 days.

So have the vaccine, you may still get COVID but not as badly as you would get it without the vaccine.

Baggs Mon 30-Oct-23 16:33:04

I still have catarrh 3 months later from my non covid. I've had the booster Jag. Don't know what to believe.

Perhaps that there are a gazillion other similar viral respiratory infections buzzing around, as usual, and it could be any one of those.
Hope it clears up soon, Gramm.

Blinko Mon 30-Oct-23 16:35:29

I thought these vaccinations were to prevent us catching the virus. If not what are they for?

They are to prevent you dying from it...

Farmor15 Mon 30-Oct-23 16:47:57

My own experience was that incubation was only 2 days. I knew I had caught it from granddaughter on Thursday lunchtime (just arrived at her house). Started having mild symptoms Saturday and had weak positive test that afternoon. Tested again next day - strong positive.

Second time I got it, similar incubation time. But can take longer to develop for some people.

JackieB - it's unlikely that your son caught Covid Saturday night if he was feeling quite unwell on Sunday. Probably caught a day or 2 earlier - seems to be a lot of it about.

dayvidg Mon 30-Oct-23 16:48:59

We have not had any jabs. We both tested positive last summer, after developing a very mild cold. September, this year , my wife tested positive with a very mild cold - I tested negative four times over a ten day period. (December 2019 I was extremely ill, with most of the covid symptoms and my breathing has been compromised ever since - diagnosed as a chest infection).

FoghornLeghorn Mon 30-Oct-23 18:20:40

Grammaretto

I was not well just before my birthday party in the summer. I bought test kits and tested negative so the party went ahead.
I gave the extra kits to a friend who'd just returned from USA feeling ill. She tested negative, her DH positive.
They isolated themselves for a few days.

Later I discovered that the event I had attended the week before the birthday had people dropping like flies with covid
I still have catarrh 3 months later from my non covid. I've had the booster Jag.
Don't know what to believe.

It was never claimed that vaccines would prevent us getting the virus, but rather to minimise the severity of Covid if caught.

M0nica Tue 31-Oct-23 21:41:31

dayvidg Do you regret not having the vaccinations? Are you having them now?

Grammaretto Tue 31-Oct-23 21:56:06

Thanks everyone for the explanations.
I have had covid, last year, but it wasn't very bad so the vaccine will have helped.
I hope you avoid it Jacky