Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

More fines for covid rule breaking - are these getting collected?

(19 Posts)
Franbern Thu 21-Jan-21 18:17:59

See there is now a £800 fine for attending house party of 15 or more. So many rules in place - all with fines if people break them.

Have not seen anywhere any figures as to how many of these are being collected.

Do wonder about those ten grand fines levied a few weeks ago against students, and similar amount levied against those who organised the anti-lockdown rallies. along with the smaller amount for travelling to far for exercise, etc. etc.

Just be interesting to know if these are getting paid, and what happens to those who either cannot, have not or have refused to pay these.

EllanVannin Thu 21-Jan-21 18:26:09

I doubt it.

blondenana Thu 21-Jan-21 23:24:33

Why are the house parties allowed to have 15 people there it doesn't make sense, when you can't have anyone visiting your house,not that i disagree with that, but just seems ridiculous
A contradiction or what?

growstuff Thu 21-Jan-21 23:26:48

blondenana

Why are the house parties allowed to have 15 people there it doesn't make sense, when you can't have anyone visiting your house,not that i disagree with that, but just seems ridiculous
A contradiction or what?

People aren't allowed to have house parties with 15 people. What contradiction do you mean?

Gwyneth Thu 21-Jan-21 23:37:52

I’ve been trying to find out about the fines issued for breach of lockdown rules. How much has been collected, what happens if people refuse to pay and where does the money go? No success so far.

Namsnanny Thu 21-Jan-21 23:52:01

growstuff

blondenana

A contradiction or what?

People aren't allowed to have house parties with 15 people. What contradiction do you mean?

I think blondenana means AS we cant have anyone visiting, why choose to make the fine apply to 15 people?

Namsnanny Thu 21-Jan-21 23:54:56

Gwyneth ... i dont know anything about it either, except the two young women fined for being out for a walk with take away drinks, had their fines rescinded.

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 00:02:08

Namsnanny

growstuff

blondenana

A contradiction or what?

I think blondenana means AS we cant have anyone visiting, why choose to make the fine apply to 15 people?

Oh! I see (I think). Personally, I think the rules should be much tougher and everybody who breaks them should be fined.

I also think that fines should be the last resort. Too much stick and not enough carrot doesn't work. The number of house parties taking place is minute. The most frequent place of transmission is the family home, followed by educational settings, which is hopefully not now taking place.

Kamiso Fri 22-Jan-21 00:21:47

A number of people fined deliberately spat and coughed in the face of the police officers. Dangerous, worrying and disgusting. If they are fined and can’t pay up the money used to be taken incrementally from their accounts. Most parties will involve alcohol at the least. If they can buy drinks etc they can pay the fines.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 00:24:13

So we could invite 13 people here for a knees up and not be fined?

BYOB please

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 00:24:48

Sorry, 12! Unless I sent DH out to the shed

Doodledog Fri 22-Jan-21 00:30:32

Kamiso

A number of people fined deliberately spat and coughed in the face of the police officers. Dangerous, worrying and disgusting. If they are fined and can’t pay up the money used to be taken incrementally from their accounts. Most parties will involve alcohol at the least. If they can buy drinks etc they can pay the fines.

If this is the case they should be charged separately for that. I remember when someone who was HIV+ deliberately had unprotected sex with a number of people and was charged with something, but I can't remember what it was.

There really should be a charge of 'recklessly causing infection' or something that could be used for all such behaviour. It is criminal, in my view.

Franbern Fri 22-Jan-21 12:14:09

Not sure why people think that educational establishments (schools) are not open. Of course they are having the children of key workers - which covers quite a lot of areas, and also children who may have any sort of special need or are vulnerable.

My daughter has been in school with pupils throughout this lockdown.

Franbern Fri 22-Jan-21 12:22:25

Reckless transmission of HIV (ie not informing a sexual partner if you, your self are HIV positive), is a serious criminal offence and the perputator can be given a long prison sentence,.

It comes under offences against the person - and, I wojld assume, that spitting or deliberately coughing at present in someones face could/would be prosecuted under the same law.

Gwyneth interesting that you have not found anything about enforcement of these fines. This is what I was wondering. We keep hearing about fines being imposed - some very heavy - but no figures seem to be available to how many of them (if any) have ever been paid.

J52 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:30:31

News now of a wedding for 400 in North London!
I agree with the fines, but think that part of the punishment should be the organisers explaining to the nation why they did it and a public apology.

PollyDolly Fri 22-Jan-21 12:35:18

Yes J52, how did they manage to hire a school for that wedding???? Sounds like someone's collecting a backhander to turn a blind eye! Disgraceful and a complete insult to all those who are following the rules.

Ellianne Fri 22-Jan-21 12:39:59

There's a thread on the wedding and fines.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:43:29

There is a lesser fine of illegal gatherings of 14 and under which increases at 15 and over.

blondenana Fri 22-Jan-21 13:07:38

growstuff i think i misunderstood what was meant about the house parties but would have been better to have said NO house parties at all,as i'm sure some people would be willing to pay a fine