Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Where are Chris Whitty and Patrick Valance??? Are they locked away at the Tower of London under Boris' orders?...

(82 Posts)
Everhopeful Wed 26-Jan-22 19:59:59

I have had huge respect for these two..but interestingly no sightings since early Decembet when Sir Chris told everyone to really prioritise social events...against Boris' gung-ho words....anyone out there lnow anything I don't?

Casdon Wed 26-Jan-22 20:21:46

I wondered about that too, they weren’t part of the briefings about the restrictions in England being lifted, which seemed unusual.

Sarnia Thu 27-Jan-22 16:31:37

Being scientists they probably have misgivings about restrictions being lifted while the numbers continue to rise. Boris won't want them putting the dampener on his attempt to woo the country back.

Alegrias1 Thu 27-Jan-22 16:43:38

Numbers are not continuing to rise.

Ho hum.

growstuff Thu 27-Jan-22 16:46:24

Alegrias1

Numbers are not continuing to rise.

Ho hum.

No, they're flatlining.

Alegrias1 Thu 27-Jan-22 16:47:53

Indeed they are growstuff

Which is not rising.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 27-Jan-22 16:56:56

Numbers have been rising again according to my TV screen. They were going down, and now the last three nights, they’ve gone up.

Perhaps my TV is broken?

Alegrias1 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:05:49

The numbers reported in the news follow a weekly cycle. You can't look at a daily variation.

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=overview&areaName=United%20Kingdom

Deedaa Thu 27-Jan-22 17:09:11

Numbers are definitely rising in the primary school two of my grandsons go to. Really noticeable in the last two weeks.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:11:57

We have to go by what we’re looking at, whether it’s daily or weekly. As far as I’m concerned...the numbers are moving in an upward direction. That’s what I and the millions of others see when we watch the news. I’m not looking at it from a mathematical point of view. I leave that to my husband.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:14:36

These are todays figures for all of the UK

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:16:17

Oops posted to soon, cases are down from last Thursday.

There has always been a time lag on deaths.

I was under the impression that there are less folks on mechanical ventilation now.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:19:05

GrannyGravy13

These are todays figures for all of the UK

I think new cases are down from yesterday too. I’m pretty sure it was 102,000. Could be wrong though.

Alegrias1 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:21:51

DiscoDancer1975

We have to go by what we’re looking at, whether it’s daily or weekly. As far as I’m concerned...the numbers are moving in an upward direction. That’s what I and the millions of others see when we watch the news. I’m not looking at it from a mathematical point of view. I leave that to my husband.

I'm really struggling with this...

"As far as I'm concerned" is not a valid way of analysing numbers. Nobody gets to choose their own way of doing arithmetic. Ask your husband.

Anyway, I'll wait with baited breath until Sunday when you'll be here telling us that the cases have fallen off a cliff hmm

Kali2 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:21:59

Could we please stick to the question in the OP- where are they, and why?

Alegrias1 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:23:48

Oh, I should say...I complained to the local ITV station about the way they were reporting the daily numbers and they changed it wink. Maybe I should complain to the BBC/Sky/whatever as well.

Alegrias1 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:24:15

Yes, sorry Kali2 flowers

Casdon Thu 27-Jan-22 17:31:44

Frank Atherton, who is the CMO for Wales is still making the news, so perhaps they are taking a well earned break, although nothing from Jenny Harries either for England.

Kali2 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:34:57

Alegrias1

Yes, sorry Kali2 flowers

Hey, lol, no need to apologise

but ...

so where are they?

silverlining48 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:09:50

I have been wondering why too, it seems the government are no longer ‘following the science’. We appear to be out on a limb in terms of covid freedom, presumably to placate those who want a return to ‘normal,’ whatever that might be. Most other countries are (in my mind ) being sensible and taking it slower.
I miss the scientists and their input.

GrandmaKT Thu 27-Jan-22 19:21:55

We have noticed their absence and think it is because they do not want to be associated with the govt's latest moves. Nobody can have any confidence in the data any more as surely, since PCR tests were no longer required, most people are not registering when they test positive for Covid via a LF test. I asked 4 people I know today who have recently had Covid whether they had registered the result and only 1 had.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 27-Jan-22 19:41:34

Alegrias1

DiscoDancer1975

I'm really struggling with this...

"As far as I'm concerned" is not a valid way of analysing numbers. Nobody gets to choose their own way of doing arithmetic. Ask your husband.

Anyway, I'll wait with baited breath until Sunday when you'll be here telling us that the cases have fallen off a cliff hmm

I did ask my husband, and he thinks you’re being deliberately awkward.

Alegrias1 Thu 27-Jan-22 19:48:07

Does he?

Then excuse me, but ask him about the difference between date of reporting and date of test.

Then ask him about how there is a weekly cadence to the number of tests carried out.

Then ask him if he believes everything they tell him on the news is unassailable truth and whether reporters, who are usually arts and humanities graduates, are often mathematically challenged.

Finally, ask him if he thinks that its important that the population have accurate statistics on which to base their assessments of the situation of if they are allowed to make their own ideas up about the progress of the pandemic irrespective of the actual situation.

Sorry, expecting people to base their ideas on truth rather than misunderstanding seems to be a bit awkward for you.

Luckygirl3 Thu 27-Jan-22 20:25:18

They are only wheeled put when they are prepared to back the government's decisions.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 20:39:21

Luckygirl3

They are only wheeled put when they are prepared to back the government's decisions.

They're kept in the basement at No. 10.

They can hear parties going on elsewhere but they're not allowed to go out and they have leftover sausage rolls and, if they're very lucky, cake thrown in occasionally.