Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Theatre

(7 Posts)
em Sat 09-Jul-11 20:49:10

Saw Wicked last year when I took the GD's to London - excellent!
Looking more and more like Warhorse!

crimson Sat 09-Jul-11 20:24:03

We saw The 39 steps at Nottingham a few years back. Not heard of the Alan Bennett play; loved The History Boys and Kafka's Dick confused but was seriously disappointed with his 'The Habit of Art'. Betrayal looks good [just about to read an article about it]. I never had any time for Kristin Scott Thomas..just thought she was in films to look posh and pretty [although I did like The English Patient as a film]. Then, late one night I saw her in a film on the telly with Rowan Atkinson..it was a rather quirky black comedy, and I suddenly realised that she could act..rather well. Then, when I saw 'I've Loved You So Long' and found that she spoke fluent French, she went up even higher in my estimation. So I'd quite like to see her on stage. Having said that, I still maintain that War Horse is the best thing I've seen in my life, ever, and desperately want to see it again. They keep threatening to end it but thankfully it gets another season. Journeys End is on in London at the moment but, again, that's coming to Nottingham later this year, so I'll catch it then. I love the theatre, but it's very hit and miss and very personal [and not cheap] so it's difficult to recommend something. Wicked sounds good as well.

em Sat 09-Jul-11 19:18:19

Thanks ladies. Plan to see 39 Steps locally in a month or so (saw it in Perth Theatre a few years back and agree it was hilarious) Haven't heard about One Man Two Govnors but will google that. Saw the tv version of the Alan Bennett play and enjoyed it. Seriously considering Warhorse as I have only heard good reports and I've read lots of Morpurgo's stories with older kids.
Food for thought!

Divawithattitude Sat 09-Jul-11 19:14:54

Quite a few of the long running musicals and other shows/plays have seats available on weeknights even at the height of the summer season, worth going to the cut price booth in Leicester Square and just seeing what is available that day - think they have a website too.

crimson Sat 09-Jul-11 12:01:43

War Horse at the New London Theatre. Don't have to be a horse lover to enjoy it.It's more about war and families and peoples love for each other and other living creatures; trust and decency even in terrible times. Can't praise it enough..has been playing to packed houses for ages. The Queen sneaked in a few months ago.

GoldenGran Sat 09-Jul-11 11:14:22

Betty Blue eyes is supposed to be great fun, it is the musical version of, I think, an Alan Bennett story. The Woman in Black is a scary ghost story by Susan Hill that has been going on for 20 years, but is truly excellent has a spectacularly frightening moment that is a wonderful piece of theatre. Last minute tickets for that should not be hard to come by. One Man Two Govnors at The National, is the thing to see, but fully booked, however they might have returns on the day. And there is a Pinter play at the Comedy theatre, Betrayal with Kirsten Scott Thomas in it, I don't know how easy that would be to get into. If you want something hilarious with belly laughs, and you have a sense of the ridiculous, my favourite is The Thirty Nine Steps at the Criterion. It has three people playing the entire cast of the John Buchan novel, and it is fabulous.smile Enjoy your visit.

em Sat 09-Jul-11 10:47:36

Advice please? Visiting London later in the month, primarily to see David Tennant in Much Ado about Nothing (any observations?). Will have another evening spare to fit in a second theatre trip so am looking for suggestions for something last-minute and non-Shakespeare. Drama. musical - doesn't matter!