Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

"Tramp stamp"

(41 Posts)
Jacey Fri 23-Sep-11 12:31:51

I have just discovered that there is an 'International London Tattoo Convention' taking place and it made me wonder if any Gransnetters had any tattoos that they would care to share with those of us who have never indulged?

Notsogrand Mon 26-Sep-11 15:21:14

I have a tattoo on my left upper arm of a sunflower. Hardly seen by anyone else as it's invariably under a sleeve. I absolutely love it!
It was my 50 and s-d it moment. blush Hurt like mad, but so worth it.

Lupatria Mon 26-Sep-11 16:11:28

i've got two - a tiny lion on my ankle [i'm a leo] and a pretty blue flower on the back of my left shoulder. i had the lion done when i was 48 and the flower in 2000 [at the age of 53].

i've got quite a high pain threshold but neither of them hurt even though i was told that the one on my ankle would be very painful as it's on the bone.

i've been thinking about having another one but not sure what and where.

i had my ears pierced when i was 18 [i'm now 64] and again about ten years after that - and then again a few years later. i can't remember if it hurt - but they don't now.

i see no reason why tattoos are supposed to be a sign of decadence - i just wanted one and so i had one!! the second is a souvenir of a lovely weekend away with my guy [and i'm still with the guy].

but one thing i won't have done is to have my belly button pierced - i can't find it nowadays!!!

NannaAnna Mon 26-Sep-11 22:42:04

I've thought about a tattoo in recent years. Just something Celtic as my heritage is Irish, but really not sure if older skin is firm enough? Nothing worse than a saggy tat I reckon hmm
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
2 of my girls have tattoos ... in fact I bought them one each of their bigger ones as birthday presents (One had a large fairy across one shoulderblade, and the other had a phoenix above one hip - which has survived her first pregnancy nicely)
I had my belly button pierced when I went with the same 2 daughters to have theirs done (they persuaded me!)
Middle daughter had her tongue pierced too, and I really really would have liked mine done, but was never brave enough - it hurts like hell!
If tattoos and piercings had been as acceptable back in the sixties I would have had quite a few (always a bit of a rebel ;)

harrigran Mon 26-Sep-11 23:46:11

I am horrified at the number of people who disfigure themselves in the name of art. The worst one was a teenager, under the age of consent, who had a very large flower tattooed on her thigh and added a diamond in the centre. Her reason, to celebrate her child's birth, under the age of consent again shock

Twobabes Tue 27-Sep-11 01:07:33

But Harrigrann, those who like tattoos don't regard them as disfigurement. It's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? Although I've seen some quite hideous tattoos, I've also seen many that were, to me, rather beautiful.
I wonder what was so awful about the flower on the thigh? Or was it the "under age" aspect, and the illegitimacy, that made it seem so dreadful? hmm

NannaAnna Tue 27-Sep-11 01:20:30

I agree that 'too many' tattoos or piercings - particularly on girls - can be unattractive, but it is a very personal thing, and I agree with Twobabes - it's in the eye of the beholder.
Each to their own - live and let live - etc. smile

Annobel Tue 27-Sep-11 08:59:50

My senior GD, aged 19, has a line from a pop song tattooed over her ribs. What on earth will she think about it in forty, fifty years' time?

absentgrana Tue 27-Sep-11 10:40:27

This thread has obviously made an impression on my psyche. Last night I dreamed I had a bright green tattoo on the arch of my left foot. It looked a bit like a calculator and contained both writing and numbers. More excitingly, it also worked as a remote control – although I have no idea what it remotely controlled. When I awoke, I thought I had inexcusably lied earlier on in this thread as I had overlooked this tattoo and had to put the bedside light on to check.

Baggy Tue 27-Sep-11 12:07:49

absent, grin

Jacey Tue 27-Sep-11 15:33:56

Please GNHQ can we have a 'can't stop laughing' smiley ...there are several threads running at the moment that we could use it on!!

Personally don't like that ghoulish grin thing you've got.

grandmaagain Tue 27-Sep-11 17:53:31

I"m with you harrigran they make me shudder!! be interesting to see how they age, the old fashioned blue type faded a lot, I wonder what these brightly coloured horrors will look look when the wearers are not as young and beautiful as they are today.can"t imagine a grandad in thirty years time being proud of his tattooed face! coloured wrinkle perhaps!!!!!! theres a thing to think about!shock (but not just before tea)

Gally Tue 27-Sep-11 18:44:46

Daughter No 3 has an apology for a tat on her ankle - a green turtle - more like a splodge really. She had it done when she was about 15 as an act of rebellion and I was not pleased, but it was so small that I think she really didn't want it - testing the water so to speak. Same daughter came home at 17 with a tongue piercing which she refused to move for years. I took her to Harvey Nichs Restaurant for a treat and she started to cough and splutter and spit out her food in front of all the Edinburgh Ladies who Lunch (so embarrassing...) - the wretched thing had broken and she was trying not to swallow it - so that was the end of the stud in her mouth. There is a lady in our village, same age as I am, whose back, arms and probably elsewhere too are completely covered in tattoos. Like Annobel I wonder what she will look like when she is really old and wrinkled, lying in her nursing home bed while the young nurses say ' come on now * * * * time for your bed bath'. I suppose it's all a matter of opinion and taste, but it ain't mine wink

nanapug Wed 28-Sep-11 14:54:51

I think tattoos can look quite pretty on a young body, but the idea of a tattoo on a 70 year old body is quite revolting (IMHO). Think there are many young people who will regret it in later years. Thankfully neither of my DDs have had one. They have a nose/ear/belly piercing but that can be removed as they get older so that is ok. My elder daughter was going to an interview for her first job out of uni, so I suggested to her that she removed her nose and numerous ear piercings for the interview. Sensibly she did, but came home laughing because the person who interviewed her was covered in piercings!! She didn't get the job......

gkal Wed 28-Sep-11 15:46:28

I think I'm in the minority but I absolutely detest tattoos and piercings although I rarely volunteer my opinion as I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and in any case people look at me as if I come from another planet. I can't imagine why anyone would put themselves through the pain for a start. Plus, why make permanent marks on your body which you then have to live with for the rest of your days. Why put pieces of metal through bits of your body? I don't think I'm being old-fashioned about this - I just don't see any point smile. I even hate to see what happens to pierced ears with age - flabby lobes and pierced holes dragged down.
When I was a nurse in the 60s-80s, I rarely saw tattooed women but many of the men I cared for wished they hadn't had tattoos done particularly when the woman's name on the chest was different from the wife's! I suppose there was a lot of peer pressure and maybe that is still significant with the number of young women getting tattoos and piercings. Maybe having been a nurse, makes me wonder why people would "brand" the body that they have been given. It seems such a pity! There are so many ways of enhancing your body in a temporary manner.

Joan Wed 28-Sep-11 23:36:52

I reckon that if someone invented semi-permanent tattoos - ones that could be erased at will, or would fade after a year or too, they would make a fortune.

I simply don't like tattos. This is not me being judgmental, it is just that I don't like to see people spoiling their looks. I dislike foul language for the same reason - it is ugly. Oh, and it is the same reason I dislike rap: it has ugly words and sounds. And the same reason I dislike graffiti.