Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

The Emperors New Clothes?

(27 Posts)
Notsogrand Fri 18-May-12 21:42:00

This is so funny. An art exhibition where there is nothing to see.

www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/may/18/hayward-gallery-invisible-show

Drawings done with invisible ink! Good luck to them if they can get away with it.

Joan Thu 30-May-13 08:49:22

Andy Warhol once said "Art is what you can get away with".

And he got away with a lot!!!

HappyNanna Wed 29-May-13 19:04:27

Movedalot grin
Hope he didn't pay a lot!

Movedalot Wed 29-May-13 17:25:06

Happy I saw it twice, it was brilliant! It must have been really hard work for the 3 actors and I remember there was no interval but it was quite short. I would go again if it were brought bakc.

My boss went out and bought a picture just like the one in the show!

Nelliemoser Wed 29-May-13 16:56:03

Liminetta
Was that the Liverpool Tate gallery? I went with a friend when they had the Turner prize exhibits there a few years ago. Those and some of the other exhibits were really taking the P***!

Eloethan Wed 29-May-13 13:12:54

feetlebaum smile

I rember that play HappyNanna. It was widely reviewed and applauded at the time but I never got to see it - wish I had now, it sounds interesting.

sunseeker Wed 29-May-13 10:06:58

Some time ago we were discussing modern art with some (quite pretentious) friends, my DH said he could produce better "art" than many of the artists they were praising. He then picked up a piece of paper and some crayons which their small child had been playing with, did a few colourful scribbles on the paper and handed to them - they told him he had a talent which he should explore!!!!

york46 Wed 29-May-13 09:55:11

The best definition of modern art that I have heard recently is "Anything You Can Get Away With"!!!!!

HappyNanna Wed 29-May-13 09:43:11

This reminded me of a play I saw about 10 years ago called ART. It's about 3 friends, one of whom buys a 'piece of artwork' a blank canvas with white lines. As mad as it sounds, it tests the friendship to the limit as one of the friends is disparaging about it and the other says he likes it. They then rake over the past and analyse their friendship. Anybody seen or remember it?

feetlebaum Wed 29-May-13 08:52:54

One could wish that more music was silent music...

A useful all-purpose phrase to use when contemplating the drivel that is most modern 'art' is "It's..... it's somehow... restless, isn't it?"

It means damn-all but you can get a reputation as a savant with it.

shysal Wed 29-May-13 08:10:18

Bonkers! I hope people pay with invisible money.

liminetta Wed 29-May-13 07:59:32

Ha, Ha! I am laughing my socks off at this thread!A few weeks ago, I went with my grandchildren to an art gallery inLiverpool.I was amused at the bemused expressions of alomost all the people looking at what I, and many, if not all normal people , considered utter rubbish!

Grossi Sun 20-May-12 21:12:03

Wikipedia has quite a long list of pieces of silent music confused.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_silent_musical_compositions

jeni Sun 20-May-12 17:25:53

The nappy I think!

soop Sun 20-May-12 16:51:41

When I was last in the Saachi Gallery I pondered [not for too long] over a ginormous heap of smelly household dust. As I left, I wondered, should I offer Saachi either one of grandson's bibs [the best being pasta riddled] or, better still, one of his prize-winning dirty nappies. grin

Ian42 Sun 20-May-12 14:25:22

I love art galleries, however it is down to everybodys own interpretation of each piece but real art is like this:

www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/explore-the-paintings/30-highlight-paintings/

Jacey Sun 20-May-12 14:20:17

jeni ...think it's over thirty

glammanana Sun 20-May-12 14:06:22

when sounds like you could have a drawer full of untapped expensive art work there,I think i will have a look and see what my DCs did when they where in nursery must be better than blank pages ??

jeni Sun 20-May-12 14:05:59

How many words do the Inuit have for snow? Perhaps one could label each blank sheet with one name and call the collection 'ethnic Inuit art '

whenim64 Sun 20-May-12 14:01:06

My son has started drawing with his iPhone and turns out some fabulous pictures - he's genuinely talented. When he read about this exhibition, he had a bet with a friend that if he put something rubbish on Facebook and asked what did people see, he would get some pretentious comments.

He did two - one was the blank page, which attracted 14 comments along the lines of 'existential angst' and 'loss.'

The other was a scribble drawing of a face wearing glasses and a scowl and another face with hair and tears coming down the cheeks - that one attracted comments like 'when love has ended' and 'a marriage lost.' That picture was copied from one he did in his story book as a child - 'mum was worried when I fell off a tree.'

I've got a drawer full of stuff like that - perhaps there's a market for it all if I can frame them and give them pretentious titles? grin

Bags Sun 20-May-12 13:57:34

I'm up for that, glam. grin Art philistines who can't see anything will just be told that they don't understand the concepts, which explanantion will be accompanied with a gusty sigh from us because that is so sad, poor things.

glammanana Sun 20-May-12 13:47:34

bags we should all get together and do a special exhibition of GNers blank copy paper we could make a few quid grin

Bags Sun 20-May-12 05:51:02

How gullible can people get? The "artists" must be laughing their socks off.

glammanana Sat 19-May-12 23:14:59

Imagine walking up to someone in the gallery and asking them what they thought of ? the depth/meaning/lines/structure etc and waiting for the reply its unbelieveable but I bet you most of them will see a lot more than I would.confusedas they would be embarrassed to upset the artist.

goldengirl Sat 19-May-12 10:04:56

I've just read this in the DT. Apparently the charge is £8! It would be fascinating to know how many people turn up - would they be prepared to queue I wonder - to see............Nothing. Well, a plain piece of paper, an empty plinth etc etc
I think it's absolutely amazing and says a lot about people's psyche.

vampirequeen Fri 18-May-12 21:55:35

One room in the show will have four walls with apparently blank pieces of paper on them, but Rugoff said visitors would have a different experience with each piece.

omg this could only happen amongst the pretentious art world. I wonder if anyone will buy them. I have about 300 sheets of A4 that I could frame if they'd care to sell them for me. I could give each a title such as 'Snowflake in a snowdrift' or 'Salt' so that the buyer could imagine each work of art and each viewer would see a different image lol