Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Reading with your grandchildren ...do you value it?

(33 Posts)
Jacey Wed 20-Jun-12 17:02:47

"According to Unesco (the United Nations agency which promotes knowledge), the biggest single indicator of whether a child is going to thrive at school and in work is whether or not they read for pleasure."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18506533

I have to say that I tend to agree with this finding ...

" 97% of secondary teachers thought parents could do more to encourage their child to read"

I was shocked to discover my neighbour, a primary deputy head was asked why his infant daughter didn't seem to want to read in class ...he had to admit that his children never saw him or his wife reading in the home! shock

Do GNetters ...that have access to their grandchildren...take the time to read with/to their grandchildren ...beyond the school 'home reader'? Even take them on visits to the library for reading groups during the holidays??

granjura Sat 23-Jun-12 19:43:52

I would be furious too Kitty. I used to teach in Loughborough and Ladies Birds books was a landmark there (and you might have seen in previous posts that we lived in Leicester for 3o+ years.

Reading to the grand-children is so precious- as well as telling them stories. Our grand-son (6) always begs 'Granny tell me stories about when you were little'. Agghh.

kittylester Sat 23-Jun-12 21:05:32

I must have missed that post granjura. Where did you live and at which school/s did you teach? Did you manage to avoid the accent?

I should point out that the two friends in my previous post were different people!!

granjura Sun 24-Jun-12 11:22:10

pm sent - I used to teach in the local comprehensive, and our intake went from the sublime to the ridiculous (in no particular order) - children from the lecturers/staff at the Uni, those from the local estates, many Bengali children from very poor backgrounds - the whole range. Loved it, but tough at times.

goldengirl Sun 24-Jun-12 18:42:28

My eldest GD lends me books and we have fun discussing them. The latest is Lemony Snicket's Bad Beginnings. I think it is unsavoury particularly for a 7 year old but she loves them! The previous one was Roald Dahl's The Witches so I suppose there is a sort of theme going.

My 3 year old GD loves curling up on my knee after lunch for stories and sometimes takes a story book and makes up the story from the pictures. Great fun.

My 5 year old GS prefers nonfiction like his grandad.

As an ex-teacher I really do value reading and talking about books and on visiting the GCs schools always try to see what's available in the library.

I do wish my mum hadn't given my Ladybirds away or the Enid Blytons. I'm gradually getting some back from charity shops and car boots though. My local bookshop is very good about keeping up with the latest trends too which is helpful.

Annobel Sun 24-Jun-12 19:39:50

gg have you seen this web site? www.lovereading4kids.co.uk ?

It gives plenty of ideas for all age groups.

Chris1603 Mon 25-Jun-12 12:18:58

I like reading and got a Kindle for Christmas. It is very easy on the eyes and you can make the 'print' larger if you need to. Books are a bit cheaper too and not printing books is ecofriendly.

Chris1603 Mon 25-Jun-12 12:23:52

Sorry I got off the subject, my grandson is too young for reading yet but I will encourage him same way I encouraged my kids. Reading is so important for finding out so much. It is also calming is such a busy world.