Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Favourite Works of Art

(56 Posts)
Butternut Fri 20-Jul-12 14:12:42

The Tracey Emin thread got me thinking about what I feel for art, and which paintings I enjoy the most.
What would you hang on your wall?

crimson Tue 31-Jul-12 21:38:02

I've got a couple of Mackenzie Thorpe calendars; although I love his sheep paintings I find some of his work quite disturbing. Am I right in thinking that he sued people who were copying him at one time?

johanna Tue 31-Jul-12 20:51:36

.."who would ".. blush

johanna Tue 31-Jul-12 20:05:59

Thanks for that dahlia.
Just googled those artists. Never heard of them.
Love Mackenzie Thorpe.
I can see why you would not mind a Rowland Hilder on your wall, who wouldn't?

dahlia Tue 31-Jul-12 16:46:30

Johanna, I really like "Nighthawks" - so atmospheric and seems to tell a story, or you can make up your own. Living in Cornwall, we have beautiful artwork around us, but I still think Sisley is my favourite. Also love the rather comic work of Mackenzie Thorpe, a Yorkshire artist. We have enjoyed many wonderful walks in the Dales and visited his very small shop in Ripon, where were lucky enough to meet the man himself. Returned two years ago to find a very posh gallery there instead, complete with rather snooty assistants - what a shame. Never mind, his paintings of sheep always make me smile, and I am looking at his work over the fireplace as I type this. We enjoyed the Hockney exhibition in February, and I would love one of his small studies of wild flowers to hang in my room, not what you would expect at all. Monet continues to be a favourite, would happily hang any of them. An English artist called Rowland Hilder painted wonderfully evocative scenes of our country, many of them were used on postage stamps or in the old Shell motoring guides, if he ever did any large enough to hang on my wall, I would love one of those.

johanna Wed 25-Jul-12 21:27:34

burgundy and vampire, you are both Vetrianno enthousiasts.
If you have time, Google the images of the following painters:
First, go to Edward Hopper , especially " Nighthawks " from 1942.
You will see that V. might have been influenced by that painting.
Then go to Vilhelm Hammershoi -Danish I think - who influenced Hopper.
And lastly to Vermeer ( need I say more? ) whom Hammershoi was influenced by.

Really really interesting.

Elegran Wed 25-Jul-12 14:31:50

So down to earth and real.

soop Wed 25-Jul-12 14:29:05

Elegran...Guthrie and the Glasgow Boys are my favourite Scottish artists.

Elegran Wed 25-Jul-12 14:22:19

You are welcome soop

There are two paintings in the National Gallery in Edinburgh that I would hang side by side. Both are of children who have to work for their living.

"A Hind's Daughter" by Sir James Guthrie is set in the back yard of a cottage on a farm in East Lothian. A girl in her early teens, daughter of a hind, or bondager, has been sent down the garden to cut a cabbage. Instead she stands knife in hand gazing toward the artist dreaming, with her old dress getting too tight on her developing figure. Soon (maybe already) she will be expected to work in the fields, and dreams will take a back seat.

thebondagers.com/book-reviews
www.jennifereddie.com/dharma_in_the_garden/2009/09/a-hinds-daughter.html

"Pas Meche" (Nothing doing) by Julian Bastien-Lepage is of a boy standing on a canal bank. He makes a living waiting for passing canal boats in Belgium and helping them through locks and bridges. His clothes are threadbare hand-me-downs with buttons missing, and his boots used to belong to someone else and are too big (worn on the wrong feet for a better grip) If mother is still around she does not have a lot of time to fix his clothes. There is "nothing doing" at the moment, but he has the tools of his trade - a stick to fend the barge off from the lock sides and a horn to warn others of the canal-boats' approach. Above all, he has a lively interest in the world, and looks as though he is assessing the chances of making some money out of this posing for the artist. I'd say he has a healthy future as a barge owner.

allart.biz/photos/image/Bastien_Nothingahtml

Charlotta Wed 25-Jul-12 14:18:17

I also like paintings of young women looking out of windows. There are quite a few but the painters' names have slipped my mind. As a dog lover I love 'Return of the Hunters' by Pieter Bruegel. We had a blocked poster of this in our living room during the first years of our marriage and then replaced it with original water colours bought at auctions.
It now hangs in the spare room where I sit on my exercise bike. I pedal away and look at the intricate studies of men, women and dogs in the snow and ice. A really lovely painting.
As I write this I can see a print by Jack Ventrianno, hanging in this room. He is such cheerful painter and I ordered it after reading about it as I was lying on the sofa with slipped disc some years ago.

Both DH and I have painted pictures. We belonged to an art group which had its own studio and we were in our thirties. With time we gave it up being not seriously gifted and last year we took all the pictures out of their frames and burnt the frames. Now we have to get rid of the canvasses. But when?

From all those years we only have three paintings still hanging. DD2 has one and there is one here and one in the US which was the only one we sold!.

soop Wed 25-Jul-12 12:31:32

Dear Elegran, the postcard arrived a short time ago. Thank you for being so thoughtful. I could cover my walls in Hornel's canvases...the play of light and shade depicted in his work, is a joy. smile

vampirequeen Tue 24-Jul-12 23:37:57

I love Jack Vetriano too. My husband bought 'Back where you belong' to remind us of when we got engaged at a steam railway station.

I also like Jeff Rowland.

BurgundyGran Tue 24-Jul-12 19:22:03

Undoubtedly Jack Vetriano is one of my favourites, I particularly like The Singing Butler. A dance version with choreography by Carolyn Paine. I am also a fan of Claude Monet, especially after visiting Giverny and seeing his gardens. I was pleased I could see the gardens in my wheelchair but had to sit outside the house while my husband went in.

patshella Tue 24-Jul-12 12:44:58

It has to be Monet. I love The Poppy Field and Water lilies.

baNANA Mon 23-Jul-12 21:17:33

Nanaej I also have a Georgia O'Keeffe print, a purple flower, I love it, it's our spare bedroom which is also purple.

baNANA Mon 23-Jul-12 21:13:29

I love the pre Raphaelites, particularly Millais.

Marty Mon 23-Jul-12 11:04:18

Love the picture of Cherry Ripe. Not sure who painted it,but her pretty eyes follow you all round the room.

glassortwo Sun 22-Jul-12 21:25:14

I have had a lovely time goggling them all, but I love The Kiss.
Sorry I know I am going off the thread but how is your leg butter.

Butternut Sun 22-Jul-12 21:19:31

Oh lovely - lots of interesting names and works to check out on google tomorrow.

I agree nj Impossible to choose. smile. Nice to think about though.

nanaej Sun 22-Jul-12 20:56:02

I have some Georgia OKeeffe prints which I love and two original paintings by a Palestinain artist, Leila Simes. I have some limited edition prints by artists I like but who are not well known, one of Dancers at Rest and one of London at the Millennium plus a lovey painting of a reconstructed Moorish tile. I also have some of my fathers painting on display. There are so many paintings by well known artists that I like it would be impossible to choose!

jeni Sun 22-Jul-12 20:18:01

I have 4originals by Philip Grey and a Ruskin! I'm hoping they'll go up in value!
But it doesn't really matter as I love them anyway!

specki4eyes Sun 22-Jul-12 19:37:23

Anything and everything by Sargy Mann. An amazing artist who is now blind but still paints stunning pictures - google him if you haven't seen his work.

nightowl Sun 22-Jul-12 17:52:55

Mmmmm grin

soop Sun 22-Jul-12 17:48:02

Yes, the Kelvingrove gallery is one of my favourites. I like the tea room too. grin

nightowl Sun 22-Jul-12 17:43:18

I'm so glad you like it too soop. I love the Kelvingrove gallery although it's a few years since I was there sad

soop Sun 22-Jul-12 17:33:08

nightowl...the painting to which you refer is indeed mesmerising. I would LOVE to have it hanging on my wall. It oozes with the joy of movement. All that I have is a gift shop bookmark depicting the dancer. She appears to float in mid-air. Awesome! grin