Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Need Your Help

(41 Posts)
lucid Tue 31-Jul-12 17:06:03

Hi...my Scottish friends are out in Africa instructing teachers and they need some help that I'm hoping you can supply. This is what my friend emailed to me:-
^'Now think broadly please:
Yesterday they added a bullet point to the start of the syllabus content that they would incorporate scientific explanantions into their cultural practices and beliefs. Discussion of examples: when starting with lightning one begins with their beliefs of it and one is the commonly-held thought that a person can will to harness the lightning bolt and kill another. Do we have a similar story? They say it is done by witches/powerful men.

Also in a lightning storm one should cover all the mirrors in the room, so lightning was not reflected round room, adding to fear and potential hazard. We also cover mirrors but why do we do so, lightning or another folk-idea.'^

Over to you.....and thank you .....

JessM Wed 01-Aug-12 10:59:03

I agree disconnecting equipment to its aerial would prevent them earthing lightening. But not unplugging it from the grid. 2 different wires.
I don't think it would matter if it was turned on or off.
Is there a separate issue perhaps with the grid being affected during a storm.
Not a lightening strike on the house via aerial, but surge in power supply.
That could blow equipment if switched on. But it would not be dangerous - the lightening would not be doing it, just fluctuating current.
There are a lot of safety devices installed in the grid to keep things from fluctuation. I wonder if, in France, with its larger land mass, the system is less protected.
This is an interesting topic. Will quiz DH again.

Butternut Wed 01-Aug-12 14:32:22

Last year our Neuf box was blown (for computer and telephone) during a storm, and that was with a surge breaker in place! Our washing machine was fried, too.
So now, if a storm threatens, we unplug the computer, and washing machine!
The French electrical system in houses is different - known as a daisy chain (not a circuit) - I wonder if that has anything to do with how lightening impacts upon our supply?

gillybob Wed 01-Aug-12 14:43:31

Elegran I never quite understood (still don't really) why we say bless you when somebody sneezes.

Is it because the sneeze in itself could be the start of something more sinister? confused

Anagram Wed 01-Aug-12 14:46:13

I thought it was because the devil might take the opportunity of gaining entry while you sneezed!

Elegran Wed 01-Aug-12 15:18:45

I think it was because a sneeze came out of nowhere and made you momentarily vulnerable and not in control, so the ever-present demons could nip in and take over your soul (or some such explanation, maybe someone else has a definitive answer)

I suppose a sneeze was often the first sign of illness, and when no-one knew what had caused it, it was safest to invoke heavenly protection as soon as possible. These days we should be saying "999" or "NHS24/7" instead of "bless you"

Charlotta Wed 01-Aug-12 16:16:05

If the house gets struck by lightening then your unplugged TV is safe. OK? Whether that is a consolation is another matter. The main thing for me is that I am FRIGHTENED of lightning and close all curtains etc. I hate to see and spend my time counting the seconds before thunder afterwards to see how far away it is.
Perhaps these African superstitions help these unprotected people in a thunder storm. Then it has had a psychological benefit and it would be better not to tamper with things like that.

Sook Wed 01-Aug-12 21:53:28

gillybob I believe that sneezing was one of the signs of the Plague as in the nursery rhyme

Ring a ring a roses,

A pocket full of poseys,

Attishoo atishoo,

We all fall down.

HildaW Mon 03-Sep-12 09:01:29

Last time we had a big thunderstorm here is blew out the computer router, was done to a crisp!

absentgrana Mon 03-Sep-12 09:16:40

No one has mentioned the common belief that lightning won't strike the same place twice when, in fact, a place that has been struck once – say a solitary tree in the middle of a field – is more likely to be struck again. The Empire State Building is struck by lightning about ten times every year.

absentgrana Mon 03-Sep-12 09:26:24

Blessing someone who has sneezed is common in many cultures. Ancient Romans said "Absit omen" and Aristotle mentions the custom. St Gregory is traditionally said to have invented the custom of saying "God bless you" after a sneeze in times of pestilence. In some cultures, including Native Americans, sneezing was thought to indicate the presence of evil spirits.

Has anybody got any idea where the expression greased lightning (meaning very fast) comes from?

absentgrana Mon 03-Sep-12 09:33:21

I've just thought of another popular belief about lightning: you will be protected from harm if struck by it when you are wearing wellingtons or shoes with rubber soles. Not true – the voltage is too great for this to have any effect at all.

nanaej Mon 03-Sep-12 20:37:36

gaia-helloworld.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/legends-behind-thunder-and-lighting.html

Will this link be any help?

I think that it is correct to say that a safe place to be to avoid lightning strike is a moving car!

absentgrana Mon 03-Sep-12 21:29:35

nanaej A one who is quite terrified by lightning, I suggest that a safe place to be to avoid a lightning strike is where there isn't a thunderstorm happening.

NfkDumpling Mon 03-Sep-12 22:31:12

Grandma's rules - Mirrors should be covered, knives and other cutlery hidden safely away and all electrical appliances unplugged. We were also banned from standing under trees or using umbrellas. These were the tip of an iceberg of superstition.

nanaej Tue 04-Sep-12 10:34:29

absent grin quite right but in case that's not an option jump in the car and drive! My DH step grandfather was killed by lightning on Wandsworth Common!