Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Grandson in a concert tour.

(25 Posts)
annodomini Wed 24-Apr-13 11:48:45

Why am I never in the right place at the right time to hear one of those lovely flash mobs? That was beautiful, Nellie and he looked very dashing in that gear.

Elegran Wed 24-Apr-13 10:54:24

That was great. I love these flashmobs, bringing music to unexpected places.

What instrument does your son play, Nellie ? It is a pity the concerts listed are both in London. I would have gone to them. Can he persuade them to try the Edinburgh Festival sometime?

Yes, mishap There is some excellent music produced by people in their "spare time" which is undervalued.

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Apr-13 10:39:56

While we are all having a very realistic proud of our kids moment my son plays with this lot.

www.sinfoniatamesa.org.uk/ No recordings I can find.

He also sang in this flash mob gig. The sound is not good though.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB830mcIRKc

White coat and straw boater is him, well its better than the out of shape heavy metal T shirts he used to wear.

Mishap Wed 24-Apr-13 09:21:14

It is so wonderful to see our loved ones engaged in the joy of music - I take great delight in seeing my DD singing in her choir.

But a career in music is an acquired taste. My Dad had a scholarship to the Royal College of Music which he was unable to take up owing to the family needing him to work and produce an income. But he has not regretted it, saying that a life of travelling about in a hurry would not have been to his taste.

There is some truly superb amateur music making going on and this should not be devalued.

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-13 18:00:13

So far I can't find any recordings by the USSO.

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-13 17:58:21

moved I don't think he got that from me either. If there is a distraction I will follow it. I'm supposed to be topping up the listings on the Gn Ed site, but have spent half an hour reading the websites of a couple of the things to be listed - before listing them. Never knew there were so many Festivals happening in Scotland, on every suject under the sun. You could spend the whole year going from one to another.

baubles Tue 23-Apr-13 17:52:45

That will be a terrific experience for him Elegran . I do hope there's a recording for you to enjoy smile

Butty Tue 23-Apr-13 16:31:06

smile Elgran - Lovely news and something special to look forward to.

Movedalot Tue 23-Apr-13 16:05:02

But perhaps he got the determination and hard work ethic from you elegran? There is more than one aspect to success.

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-13 15:09:30

Thanks, everyone. Yes, i am proud of him. I am hopeless musically, so it did not come from me!

Marelli Tue 23-Apr-13 14:50:49

Elegran, I remember the clip last year. It's wonderful news - you'll be so proud of him! smile

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-13 14:02:00

Nellie He plays the violin. At the moment he wants to play in a symphony or baroque orchestra, but we shall see whether that is still so when he has tried a spot of the inevitable touring! More travelling than playing, irregular food, uncomfortable beds . . .

Nelliemoser Tue 23-Apr-13 13:23:22

Elegran What instrument does he play? Even if he doesn't want to go professional he can have a lot of fun playing at a good standard amateur level.
From my DHs experience there are also opportunities for playing with choral societies and for shows etc. So they can get a good range of musical experience.

My DS gave up piano and violin in his mid teens but went back to it again while doing post grad degree. He is still playing on the violin we bought for about £200 when he was about twelve and has just improved it with good strings an expensive bow. It was obviously a very good buy at the time!
He now plays with a very high standard amateur orchestra in London and loves it as a hobby.

Good luck to your GS.

annodomini Tue 23-Apr-13 13:15:50

Lovely news, Elegran. That's something really special to look forward to.

Movedalot Tue 23-Apr-13 13:06:25

How lovely. I know that pleasure of watching my sons on stage and there is nothing like it. Enjoy.

soop Tue 23-Apr-13 13:05:26

good news...wink

soop Tue 23-Apr-13 13:04:50

Elegran Mr soop is delighted to hear the new news. We love both pieces of music mentioned. 'Fingles Cave' was played on record at the start of music lessons at the convent. It is the only fond memory I have of that place...

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-13 13:03:23

Thanks, Soop

soop Tue 23-Apr-13 12:56:44

Elegran You must be thrilled. I shall call Mr soop to read your post. Congratulations to your grandson. smile

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-13 12:49:19

Not quite a career yet, Greatnan the criteria for joining the orchestra is that they must be attending a Scottish University (and be good enough, natch)

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-13 12:47:39

I do hope there is a recording.

Remember all the drama with the failing webcam, Jings? Those of us who watched the dress rehearsal got the best of that day. (Well, apart from his parents who were in the audience)

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-13 12:45:11

The travel is in a coach - hours and hours of rumbling along! Flying was just too expensive with all the instruments. He will see a bit of Belgium though.

Greatnan Tue 23-Apr-13 12:41:48

How exciting for you to watch his career taking off, Elegran. Many congratulations to you and your grandson. I hope you are able to record it some way.

j08 Tue 23-Apr-13 12:33:52

Oh yes! I remember that. You must be so proud Elegran. smile Great that he is getting some travel in with it too.

Elegran Tue 23-Apr-13 12:26:40

Some people might remember that over a year ago I posted a link to a webcam at a concert that my grandson was playing in - it was a Glasgow University orchestra, with things like "Fingal's Cave" and "Land of the Mountain and the Flood". Those who followed the link enjoyed it and I said I would post other things. No other concerts had webcams, unfortunately.

However, he is now in the Scottish Universities Symphony Orchestra and they are starting a short tour playing in Belgium with a stop-off for a performance in Edinburgh on 29th May (at 7.30) I shall certainly be there. No webcams again, though, it will have to be live.

The details are at www.usso.org.uk