Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

New Gransnet Movement – "Old Pride"

(200 Posts)
Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 09:27:02

Zengran and I are starting a Proud to be Old club for gransnetters. We are sick of the 'culture' of youth worship in our society and people trying to disguise their age all the time (always downwards once they're out of their twenties).

Join here!

Old Pride Rocks!

sunshine

soop Thu 16-May-13 10:28:10

Thanks, Bags...I'm pleased to report that I wended my way back to the forum. grin

Galen Wed 15-May-13 22:21:35

I like embrace age, but im tired 'and so to bed' said Zebedee. moon

Bags Wed 15-May-13 22:05:10

Don't go yet. One of the links in "from the forums" doesn't work – the one to the religions thread. Haven't tried the others.

j08 Wed 15-May-13 22:03:53

You going to bed soon Geraldine?

Bags Wed 15-May-13 22:02:20

But we like to tease.

Bags Wed 15-May-13 22:01:59

grin Dead straightforward, really.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-May-13 22:00:48

We are not that mysterious. You know we like apostrophes and cake.

j08 Wed 15-May-13 21:51:34

I just meant that GN on facebook doesn't seem to be the most happening place.

Quite by the by really. smile

Bags Wed 15-May-13 21:33:42

https://www.facebook.com/EmbraceAge?ref=hl That's the link, soop.

Not sure what you mean, jings??

j08 Wed 15-May-13 20:40:49

I've just had a look at GN on facebook. No one seems to say anything, except the administrators.

soop Wed 15-May-13 16:51:36

Bags...I've been away for a wee while...cannot seem to find the latest on Embrace Age. Where be it? confused

Bags Tue 14-May-13 13:26:06

We are hoping to have some connection on Gransnet quite soon. Exactly what depends on the Mysterious Beings at HQ, but they like Embrace Age and think it fits in well with Gransnet's ethos. We (the four EA page admins) think so too.

nanaej Tue 14-May-13 12:25:35

goldengirl I think the FB Embrace Age is seen by a far wider audience than GN. All my friends can see it if I share it and many are a lot younger than me!
It is not competing with GN. It is a different beast! Simply a positive offshoot promoting the fact that 'old' or being old should not be used / seen as a derogatory term!

goldengirl Tue 14-May-13 12:17:06

I'm being even dimmer! What's wrong with 'Gransnet'? Mumsnet get lots of mentions in the media as does Gransnet HQ? We're newer so it takes time to get well known as a resource. Grandparents can be of many ages. I can't honestly see the point of having an offshoot and reinventing the wheel. Perhaps therefore this reclamation idea is just not for me smile

Bags Sat 11-May-13 21:47:33

I suppose it is a campaigning idea. The idea is to 'reclaim' the word "old" so that its negative connotations do not outweigh its positive ones. It is to give being old a good press.

goldengirl Sat 11-May-13 17:49:07

Sorry I'm being a bit dim here and am yet not au fait with Facebook. What is the purpose of this new group? Is it to be a campaigning group?

Elegran Sat 11-May-13 09:27:13

Behind. sorry.

Elegran Sat 11-May-13 09:26:55

Embrace Age is taking off, Bags ! Almost 50!

The GN Edinburgh Facebook page needs two more to get to thirty. Way behaind!

Bags Fri 10-May-13 20:34:23

We only need two more facebook "likes" on our page to get to fifty! smile

There are four of us posting stuff on there. Send messages if you find interesting and suitable things – articles, pictures, jokes – and one of us will get onto it asap.

Bags Fri 03-May-13 19:37:07

Not wishing to be divisive between young and old in our reclamation of "old", we have started a photo album (and, in due course, we hope, a 'theme') Young and Old Together. If you have photos you think would fit there and are willing to share them, do let us know, on this thread or on the Facebook Page.

Stories, news articles, links to stuff, anything you think supports the idea of age and aging being something to celebrate and which discourages agism, please point us in the right direction so that we can include it on the page where possible.

Bags Thu 02-May-13 16:57:32

Follow us on Twitter too now, folks! @embraceage

(we haven't said much yet, but we will!)

Marelli Thu 02-May-13 16:11:18

soop - I think I may have been in the George's snug, many moons ago grin!
Bags, I've found the site - it's great! Wonderful idea! flowers

Elegran Thu 02-May-13 14:58:21

Have you been asleep or out of the country, Galen ? There have been a lot of references to it? That is the excuse for all those photos of delicious-looking birthday cakes.

Galen Thu 02-May-13 14:46:12

Oh! Is that coming up ? When? Why did no one tell me?
Stomps off muttering " no one ever tells me anything!"

Ana Thu 02-May-13 14:01:42

Oh yes! Wonder if it's only temporary, for Gransnet's second anniversary?