Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

New Gransnet Movement – "Old Pride"

(199 Posts)
Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 09:27:02

Zengran and I are starting a Proud to be Old club for gransnetters. We are sick of the 'culture' of youth worship in our society and people trying to disguise their age all the time (always downwards once they're out of their twenties).

Join here!

Old Pride Rocks!

sunshine

grannyactivist Fri 26-Apr-13 09:29:33

'Old Pride' grin Count me in!

LullyDully Fri 26-Apr-13 09:31:00

Yes we could start by banning facial reconstruction. Watched a Swedish crime thing and the woman in charge was beautifully lined.

j08 Fri 26-Apr-13 09:35:40

Oh, you're just reinforcing the idea that "The Old" are a separate species! We're not. This is not the way forward. It's simply up to individuals to quietly keep their end up themselves.

Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 09:38:11

Good point, jings, but I disagree. Gay Pride has brought gays more into the mianstream than otherwise. This is not a separation stunt, but a demand for acceptance.

Notso Fri 26-Apr-13 09:39:02

Yes please!

Will Old Pride have a Twitter account and/or Facebook page?

I can feel a placard coming on! sunshine

Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 09:39:59

I'm all for quietly keeping ends up, but not for people to be ashamed of just being as they are without gels squirted into various parts, without covering up blemishes, without seeing skin wrinkles as something to be hidden, and so on.

Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 09:40:57

Good idea notso. I'd like to delegate the Twitter account opening to you!

Any offers to start the FB page?

Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 09:41:36

Gransnet will follow and befriend us, natch.

Ella46 Fri 26-Apr-13 09:44:35

A lot of us aren't old, we're only middle aged!

grannyactivist Fri 26-Apr-13 09:47:27

On the contrary Jingl, I think the point is that we're NOT a separate species. On a slightly more serious note there is a huge financial investment by the big drug/cosmetic industries in research for anti-ageing products; if growing old were not so stigmatised, maybe some of this money would be being used for more beneficial research than doing away with a few wrinkles.

grannyactivist Fri 26-Apr-13 09:49:19

Grief, you're all a bit quick off the starting blocks - six posts just whilst I was composing one! Slowing down is a sign of ageing though so I'm embracing my slowness!! grin

whenim64 Fri 26-Apr-13 09:59:25

Yes, count me in. This isn't about pensioner or grey power, but our right to assert that age can be worn with pride, it brings wisdom, and each line, wrinkle and stretch mark tells the story of our lives.

Ana Fri 26-Apr-13 10:06:25

Hear, hear Ella. I'm not old!

Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 10:20:07

You don't have to be old to support Old Ptide, just as you don't have to be gay to support Gay Pride.

Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 10:20:33

oops

Pride

What is ptide anyway?

gracesmum Fri 26-Apr-13 10:21:36

And I think one of our own cardinal sins is the self-deprecating way we accept (ostensibly) benign/affectionate ageism. Those internet jokes that go the rounds for one - yes I laugh sometimes, but then I wonder why? I think poking fun at oneself is a matter of personal choice, but accepting these grotesque stereotypes is demeaning. I am not a sociologist but I wonder if this is the equivalent of a dog rolling on its back with legs in the air to show it is NOT aggressive? i.e. Humans "defuse" potential aggression by saying "Look at me, I'm harmless, I'm funny"
Huh! Harmless? maybe not!

Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 10:23:27

You learn useful things as you age, such as how to eat cake and drink coffee while having a nosebleed.

janthea Fri 26-Apr-13 10:32:45

Count me in!

Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 10:33:45

We mean it about Twitter and FB. Has anyone any good ideas for the Twitter profile and avatar? Also a background picture?

Slogans?

Please chuck in your ideas. Gransnetters usually come up with some witticisms and sense.

gracesmum Fri 26-Apr-13 10:35:04

Let nothing come between a Gran and her coffee and cake grin

whenim64 Fri 26-Apr-13 10:42:47

Bags you have risen even further in my estimation! grin You are an old, nose-bleeding cake-eater - much respect! grin

Notso Fri 26-Apr-13 10:44:23

Also.....ideas for who to follow on Twitter, in anticipation of being followed back. Thanks smile

MrsJamJam Fri 26-Apr-13 10:49:21

Did anyone hear the 13 year oldgirls just now on woman's hour who are launching a campaign against airbrushed models making them feel inadequate. Maybe we need a
ALL females of the species to rise up and celebrate being themselves at whatever age they are. its all a conspiracy to get us to spend our money chasing a ridiculous idea of perfection.

I'll join the campaign!

Grannylin Fri 26-Apr-13 10:53:02

Yes, but also just on Woman's Hour, a feature about the success of long marriages....and where do they go to interview people?.....a tea dance, yikes!