Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

The message is Be Kind

(32 Posts)
Bags Sat 03-Aug-13 08:13:03

A speech to graduates at Syracuse University by George Saunders.

susieb755 Mon 05-Aug-13 22:50:06

What a lovely speech,

I know how he feels - I joined a school mid way through yr 2 at juniors and was told by others not to play with a certain girl as 'she had fleas' - as a 8 yr old you just accept this -as an adult I crave to go back and say sorry for making her life lonely and I hope she grew up a better person than we all were.

Mishap Mon 05-Aug-13 10:06:00

It is interesting (and heartening) that this speech occurred in an educational establishment in the US, where I have the strong impression that education is a prelude to entering the rat race and trampling on those beneath you to get to the top.

It engages to some degree with the question "What is education for?" and provides an antidote to the ethos that prevails.

I always say to my GC when they are getting a bit aggressive (as all children do when frustrated) that being kind to others is more important than anything else at all - including what they learn at school.

dustyangel Sun 04-Aug-13 14:58:33

Thanks Bags a wonderful speech.
I once put a card in with a friend's daughter's confirmation card. I wish I could find my copy of the words. It included things like " be wise,honest and thoughtful. Great advice for a fourteen year old!
The bit that I liked and that has stuck in my brain is the last line.
"And above all be kind."

Grannyknot Sun 04-Aug-13 13:19:30

Bags you're right. And - I wish I had had a dad like yours. That's really good advice, that a straight "no" is better than giving out "maybe" signals, just to be "nice".

I was often too nice for my own good, so on reflection, I probably really simply didn't want to go out with that boy.

vegasmags Sun 04-Aug-13 12:29:37

I'm not at all sure I agree that people get kinder as they get older - I think it's to do with personality rather than the aging process. Some people I suppose mellow with age, but I don't think everyone does. A friend of mine lives in sheltered housing and you wouldn't believe the rows that take place, not to mention the pettiness and small mindedness.

Butty Sun 04-Aug-13 12:09:35

...... and further 'Be Nice' . According to this article, being nice has long term benefits.

here

Ariadne Sun 04-Aug-13 10:04:49

Thank you, Bags.

hummingbird Sun 04-Aug-13 09:41:46

That's wonderful, Bags, thank you! flowers

nanaej Sat 03-Aug-13 16:44:34

Sorry meant to say it was a great speech! Thanks for posting it bags

nanaej Sat 03-Aug-13 16:36:01

Whilst I have been very lucky to have experienced plenty of love and kindness within my family and amongst friends I have also been witness to selfish and self serving acts that have left me shocked.

My DD2s partner had an unhappy family life and always comments on how kind our family is!

Bags Sat 03-Aug-13 15:52:52

Actually, gknot, my dad warned me about going out with young men "just to be kind". He reckoned it was a risky strategy (for me) and I think he was right. He also advised me, as a man, that a straightforward "No!" was much easier to accept than a don't know, should I/shouldn't I, pussy-footing around sort of answer. I think he was probably right about that too, and being straightforward (blunt, even) probably means you're less likely to be pestered.

You can't help it that the young man died young. I don't think you did wrong or were unkind.

Grannyknot Sat 03-Aug-13 14:37:21

I love that speech, and I am so pleased he has put a phrase to some of the niggling regrets I have: "failures of kindness" (mostly related to when I was much younger). For example, when the spotty, ginger haired brother of my sister's best friend begged me to go to the final year dance with him in high school and I flatly refused. I didn't even let him down gently. He was a nice guy who died young sad. I don't beat myself up about it, but every now and again it flickers across my memory and I think "Why didn't you just say yes?"

As he says in the lecture, fortunately, we become much kinder as we grow older. I've known for a while that kindness is one of the most important human qualities.

Nonu Sat 03-Aug-13 12:47:53

X

soop Sat 03-Aug-13 12:38:54

smile Nonu I agree.

Nonu Sat 03-Aug-13 12:35:28

I think Love & Kindness go hand in hand .

smile

soop Sat 03-Aug-13 12:25:45

Kindness matters most. smile

Nonu Sat 03-Aug-13 11:44:24

I pleased to be able to say there is a plethora of love in my small corner of the universe .

sunshine & smile

whenim64 Sat 03-Aug-13 11:30:02

I think you have something very special in your wonderful man ga smile

nightowl Sat 03-Aug-13 11:28:03

Bags I envy you. I wish I could live in your world smile

Bags Sat 03-Aug-13 11:19:42

In the world I live in, kindness has never been undervalued, ga. How sad that in your world you feel that it has been!

Butty Sat 03-Aug-13 11:08:49

Thanks B. Kindness is the best of gifts.

grannyactivist Sat 03-Aug-13 11:04:35

This is a message I have tried to get over to my own children. I think that in our society there is great emphasis on individual 'rights' and that kindness is a much undervalued trait and somehow seen as weakness. I'm sad to say that I have been asked on several occasions why I have been kind to someone, as though kindness needs to lead to personal gain to be worth the bother. I think an inclination to kindness should always be encouraged.
His innate kindness was one of the things that attracted me to the Wonderful Man - and after almost 27 years together I would still say that he's the kindest man I've ever met. smile

Lilygran Sat 03-Aug-13 10:38:58

Thanks, Bags.

Sook Sat 03-Aug-13 09:37:47

Thank you Bags I found that speech heart warming and inspirational.

MiceElf Sat 03-Aug-13 09:34:41

What a wonderful message. As someone else once said 'Love one another'.