Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

The message is Be Kind

(31 Posts)
Bags Sat 03-Aug-13 08:13:03

A speech to graduates at Syracuse University by George Saunders.

Notso Sat 03-Aug-13 08:26:31

How lovely, thanks Bags, great start to the day smile

Greatnan Sat 03-Aug-13 08:28:44

What a wonderful speech. Thanks, bags.

whenim64 Sat 03-Aug-13 08:34:36

I like that. I wonder how many of the graduates will remember what he said. When my eldest son graduated, the chancellor gave an inspirational speech which I mentioned at the dinner afterwrds, and my son said 'oh, what was it about?' Too busy thinking about other things, like where he and his friends were celebrating that evening!

petallus Sat 03-Aug-13 08:55:28

I have not read the link yet but I'm a great believer in kindness. I think it might be as important, or even more so, than love in some circumstances.

Bags Sat 03-Aug-13 09:05:32

I think kindness stems from love – a general kind of love. I think it stems from our innate goodness and joy in life.

when, just as well thesespeeches get put into print then wink

MiceElf Sat 03-Aug-13 09:34:41

What a wonderful message. As someone else once said 'Love one another'.

Sook Sat 03-Aug-13 09:37:47

Thank you Bags I found that speech heart warming and inspirational.

Lilygran Sat 03-Aug-13 10:38:58

Thanks, Bags.

grannyactivist Sat 03-Aug-13 11:04:35

This is a message I have tried to get over to my own children. I think that in our society there is great emphasis on individual 'rights' and that kindness is a much undervalued trait and somehow seen as weakness. I'm sad to say that I have been asked on several occasions why I have been kind to someone, as though kindness needs to lead to personal gain to be worth the bother. I think an inclination to kindness should always be encouraged.
His innate kindness was one of the things that attracted me to the Wonderful Man - and after almost 27 years together I would still say that he's the kindest man I've ever met. smile

Butty Sat 03-Aug-13 11:08:49

Thanks B. Kindness is the best of gifts.

Bags Sat 03-Aug-13 11:19:42

In the world I live in, kindness has never been undervalued, ga. How sad that in your world you feel that it has been!

nightowl Sat 03-Aug-13 11:28:03

Bags I envy you. I wish I could live in your world smile

whenim64 Sat 03-Aug-13 11:30:02

I think you have something very special in your wonderful man ga smile

Nonu Sat 03-Aug-13 11:44:24

I pleased to be able to say there is a plethora of love in my small corner of the universe .

sunshine & smile

soop Sat 03-Aug-13 12:25:45

Kindness matters most. smile

Nonu Sat 03-Aug-13 12:35:28

I think Love & Kindness go hand in hand .

smile

soop Sat 03-Aug-13 12:38:54

smile Nonu I agree.

Nonu Sat 03-Aug-13 12:47:53

X

Grannyknot Sat 03-Aug-13 14:37:21

I love that speech, and I am so pleased he has put a phrase to some of the niggling regrets I have: "failures of kindness" (mostly related to when I was much younger). For example, when the spotty, ginger haired brother of my sister's best friend begged me to go to the final year dance with him in high school and I flatly refused. I didn't even let him down gently. He was a nice guy who died young sad. I don't beat myself up about it, but every now and again it flickers across my memory and I think "Why didn't you just say yes?"

As he says in the lecture, fortunately, we become much kinder as we grow older. I've known for a while that kindness is one of the most important human qualities.

Bags Sat 03-Aug-13 15:52:52

Actually, gknot, my dad warned me about going out with young men "just to be kind". He reckoned it was a risky strategy (for me) and I think he was right. He also advised me, as a man, that a straightforward "No!" was much easier to accept than a don't know, should I/shouldn't I, pussy-footing around sort of answer. I think he was probably right about that too, and being straightforward (blunt, even) probably means you're less likely to be pestered.

You can't help it that the young man died young. I don't think you did wrong or were unkind.

nanaej Sat 03-Aug-13 16:36:01

Whilst I have been very lucky to have experienced plenty of love and kindness within my family and amongst friends I have also been witness to selfish and self serving acts that have left me shocked.

My DD2s partner had an unhappy family life and always comments on how kind our family is!

nanaej Sat 03-Aug-13 16:44:34

Sorry meant to say it was a great speech! Thanks for posting it bags

hummingbird Sun 04-Aug-13 09:41:46

That's wonderful, Bags, thank you! flowers

Ariadne Sun 04-Aug-13 10:04:49

Thank you, Bags.