Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Gyles Brandreth webchat - 17 September 1-2pm

(40 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Sep-13 16:39:56

We’re delighted to confirm that Gyles Brandreth, writer, broadcaster, former MP and Government Whip - and one of Britain's most sought-after award ceremony hosts and after-dinner speakers, will be coming in to GNHQ for a webchat on 17 September at 1-2pm to show us just how chatty he can be.
Gyles is a reporter on The One Show on BBC1 and a regular on Radio 4's Just a Minute. His new play ‘Now we are Sixty’, based on the life and works of AA Milne, is currently on at the Kings Head Theatre.

Please spread the word - and add your questions to the thread.

Clytie Fri 06-Sep-13 15:01:09

Oh, fascinating.

I came across A A Milne's "Red House Mystery" at my charity shop last month. I hadn't realised he'd written anything except the Winnie the Pooh books, but now I gather he had quite a large output and became rather frustrated that Pooh's success destroyed his reputation as an adult author.

Do you think Milne's other work was unfairly overshadowed by Winnie-the-Pooh?

Sunhat Fri 06-Sep-13 15:18:41

Hello Gyles

I've always wondered, how scripted are shows like Just A Minute? Do you know the topics in advance? Are you all sitting there reading your words or does it all come out of your heads on the day?

Grannyknot Fri 06-Sep-13 21:58:59

Hi Gyles, I recently read an interview with you about your '7 secrets of happiness' and the one that made me laugh out loud was "No one is interested in you" (because I get that). So why do you think people queue up and pay to see your show then? smile

Gally Mon 09-Sep-13 18:36:51

I heard you reading from your 'life' on Radio 4 last week - loved it - is there more to come? However, I have to tell you that I can't stand Just a Minute - sorry blush. As soon as it came on the radio my late husband and I looked at each other, made the finger down the throaty expression and rushed to the cat's whisker to retune to Radio 3 grin. Do you still collect teddy bears? I have quite a collection myself which the gc's play with (with which the gc's play) so they are all a bit 'used'. Better that way don't you think?

maybee Thu 12-Sep-13 12:46:06

I love Just a minute!

I would love to know more about When We Are Sixty please

dorish Thu 12-Sep-13 12:50:37

Do you miss being an MP?

I f I remember correctly you were the one to introduce the ability to get married in places other than a church/registry office. What was behind that? And do you think it's been a good move? I am all for freedom of choice but do worry that some venues may cheapen the whole ceremony - make it a bit gimicky instead of a solemn vow to love and cherish etc

jumplead Thu 12-Sep-13 12:54:11

I can't believe no one has asked about the sweaters yet!!! How? Why? Do you still wear them? (and if so how on earth have you kept the moths at bay - that is a genuine question!)

compinggran Thu 12-Sep-13 13:01:05

I notice that the subtitle of your book is "An optimist's journey". Have you always been a glass-half-full kind of guy? If one is not naturally inclined to optimism what can they do to change this?

woof Thu 12-Sep-13 19:29:00

Hi Gyles! Am intrigued. Has researching the book changed the way you live your life (or were you quite happy before that?)

flopsybunny Thu 12-Sep-13 19:31:13

Apparently you've made more appearances on Countdown than any other guest! Is that the most favourite show you've been on? If not, what is?

Grannyknot Fri 13-Sep-13 21:30:00

dorish I never really thought about that but I know what you mean, a SIL of mine got married - in the US - in a furniture shop! There was much whispering and tittering about that behind the happy couple's backs, not coming from me of course smile I was just slightly bemused but the thought.

DollyGolightly Mon 16-Sep-13 15:01:31

Hello Gyles,

Being a bit of a career chameleon - what would you consider your 'career highlight' so to speak?

p.s me and OH love just a minute!

ollieamber54 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:09:00

Hi Gyles, is being on the one show as fun as it looks?

Gally Mon 16-Sep-13 17:30:39

Hello Gyles - it's me again. As there aren't many questions on this thread yet and it's the 17th tomorrow I have just been googling you just in case there was something I could add to keep things going wink and discovered that we were born in the same year, married in the same year and your 3 children were born in the same years as mine. Wow - I think it was meant to be!! Only difference is you still have your wife but I don't have my husband ... Seriously, I love their names - have your grandchildren been bestowed with equally individual, unusual monikers? You always seem such a jolly, optimistic person (grin) - are you always so, or do you sometimes, occasionally, feel a little glum? (sad)

Scream Tue 17-Sep-13 09:23:04

Hello Gyles - I've just bought a copy of your book and am excited to read it. What gave you the idea for it?

muddyboots Tue 17-Sep-13 09:28:53

I'm looking forward to Now We Are Sixty. What's your favourite play to star in and to watch?

bedbug Tue 17-Sep-13 11:01:56

Now I want to know what your children are called!

That wasn't my actual question though. I am sure I read somewhere that you kept your wedding a secret. Is that true?

ameliajess Tue 17-Sep-13 11:03:34

You've written lots of books! Do you prefer writing for adults or children?

amandap Tue 17-Sep-13 12:55:27

Hi Gyles I am a big fan of yours. Does that mean I can ask two questions?

1) You wrot e a book about Charles and Camilla but I would love to know what you think about Willioam and Catherine. And George of course

2) I have ordered your book but how happy do you think you are?

Thank you in advance

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 17-Sep-13 13:03:44

Gyles will be with us very shortly and so we will get on with answering questions as soon as we can - do add any more you might have

c3po Tue 17-Sep-13 13:06:52

I love the sound of your book and have just ordered it on amazon. what will you be writing next?

torstours Tue 17-Sep-13 13:23:18

If you had 4 children and were a single mum then found out the eldest wasn't of the same parentage when would you tell him, he is now 8?

GylesBrandreth Tue 17-Sep-13 13:24:48

Grannyknot

Hi Gyles, I recently read an interview with you about your '7 secrets of happiness' and the one that made me laugh out loud was "No one is interested in you" (because I get that). So why do you think people queue up and pay to see your show then? smile

I discovered the Seven Secrets of Heavens with Dr Anthony Clare-the man of In the Psychiatrist's Chair on Radio 4. The Seven Secrets are easy to remember, but quite difficult to put into practice, and one of them is "break the mirror". This won't bring you seven years bad luck, it will bring you 7-10 years of longer life. The research shows that happy people live between 7 and 10 years longer than unhappy people, and happy people tend not to be inward looking and self-absorbed. Thinking about yourself is an enemy of happiness. It was the great Carl Jung who pointed out that being outward looking, interested in the world around you and in other people, is what leads, in part, to happiness.

GylesBrandreth Tue 17-Sep-13 13:28:22

compinggran

I notice that the subtitle of your book is "An optimist's journey". Have you always been a glass-half-full kind of guy? If one is not naturally inclined to optimism what can they do to change this?

I am an optimist, but life isn't easy. When I was a child and went to church every week, I remember hearing that "life is a vale of tears"-and that heaven was the place where you expected to be happy. Happiness was for the next life, not for this one. Freud said that to be happy you need "to love and to work". Well, I have been lucky. I've always had friends and family to love and interesting work to do-but the truth is that nothing lasts. Love-it can all go wrong. Work-you can lose your job. Life is difficult and complicated, which is why about fifteen years ago, around the time that my best friend died and I lost my job as an MP, I began on this optimists' journey to find the secrets of what makes people happy.