Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Grey hair or colour it?

(119 Posts)
Jan09 Sun 15-Sep-13 21:40:49

I have noticed - mainly in magazines and newspapers but on the streets of London too - that more and more women are letting their long hair go grey rather than colouring it. I'm beginning to be tempted to grow my colour out and do the same. I hate the process of having it coloured and the expense and why can't grey be as attractive as blonde or black? What do other people think?

rosesarered Sun 03-Nov-13 15:30:19

what an interesting thread this is. I think what comes over is that it's high time that women can go grey/silver if they want to [as it's been ok for men forever!]Just a matter of what we want ourselves. I have medium length silky hair [with shorter lenghts cut in to it] and I have hi-lights put in 2/3 times a year. My natural colour was light brown but of course there is a lot of grey in it now.Having the blonde hi-lights keeps me from having roots that show up. I would not bother to have full head colour [which shows up the roots.] I will go grey when I feel good and ready. grin

AlieOxon Sun 03-Nov-13 16:16:27

I decided to go grey last winter (from coloured brown) and wore a hat until it had grown enough to have it cut properly.

It's silver grey at the front an darker at the back - I hadn't seen it for years!
I like it.
I am considering rinsing it PINK for that celebration coming up....

Hannoona Sun 03-Nov-13 17:32:47

Im grey now but its about 4 shades of grey and all patchy. I could never not colour it, but unless someone knows me well they assume I'm still a very natural blonde. No one has to have peroxide coloured hair nowadays unless it the colour they seek but keeping your hair looking natural is difficult. I have my roots done every 4 weeks to the day, and highlights and lowlights every 8 weeks. When Im leaving the salon I make my next appt. I just couldn't let a root start to show because if I did I know my granddad would reach down from heaven and give me what for. That and red nail polish - it was enough to get your name up as they say in Scotland.

Nelliemoser Sun 03-Nov-13 22:50:50

I gave up on mine after my daughters wedding. It was once very black all over, but the grey crept in at the front.
"Under advice" I tried dying it but as the dark bits were still black the dyed grey bits just went an indeterminate brown, it never looked right.

So now I leave it well alone. It more or less has an over all steely grey look. I prefer it like this.

mrsmopp Thu 09-Jan-14 18:28:23

I look so much older when my hair is grey, so now I just do it myself with Nice n Easy every 4 to 6 weeks. It's flattering and it does look natural.

Iam64 Thu 09-Jan-14 18:39:55

I'm just back from a cut and colour. I've been in discussion with the guy who has been doing my hair for almost 28 years now, about when the right time to go either grey, or much lighter arrives. Earlier this year, he said going totally grey may not be what I want, as my hair remains dark in places, and grey in others. So, 3 do's ago, I had blond highlights, and he began to gradually lighten the shade of brown at the roots. Today, I've had lots of blond highlights, no roots done. Next time, he's going to be able to go several shades lighter on the root colour. I'm happy to be heading lighter, i'm sure it's better with my skin tone now.
Hanoona, your post reminded me of my mum, and her determination (like mrsmopp) to do her hair every 4 weeks with NicenEasy. I did it for her for the last several years of her life, including 3 weeks before she died. It was, she said, top of her agenda to get her hair done, and eyebrows plucked, so I did both. When I was 14, I suggested she stop dying her hair, and go grey gracefully. thankfully she was a patient woman, and suggested I hang on with the advice, until I reached my late 40's.

Nonu Thu 09-Jan-14 19:03:04

Like your post , iam

Iam64 Thu 09-Jan-14 19:17:02

thanks noun. As is clear from any post where I refer to my mum, I loved her very much, she was a great role model and very good fun. Her favourite saying was from Ginger Rogers : "I did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards, and in high heels".
I was, at times, I'm sure a huge challenge to her. I didn't cut my hair, wore it long and straight, I didn't wear a bra, I refused to wear heels, I disdained for example, South Pacific and Oklahoma. I loathed John Wayne and co, and all those sloppy 1940's and 50's black and white movies. Guess what, I started wearing a bra when I was working with offenders, not totally daft eh. I still don't do heels, but I loved seeing South Pacific at the Palace in Manchester last year, I love all those black and white movies, and I even get the appeal of John Wayne. Fortunately, she lived long enough for us to laugh about these things. We had Begin the Beguine as we left the funeral service. All her lovely pals, glam in their 80's, danced passed her coffin, singing and dancing. A glorious send off to a glorious woman.

whenim64 Thu 09-Jan-14 19:40:01

Iam! I was the same (except for the bra thing) and disdained everything my mum liked, love the old movies now, didn't get the 'having your hair coloured and set' idea in a woman so old (probably about 38) as I just grew a long curtain through which to peer at the world, and now I cannot envisage letting my hair colour go back to whatever colour it was.....mind you, it's over 50 years since I last saw my mousy hair, which has always been bleached or highlighted since then. She would smile benignly and say 'wait till you're my age,' grin

I'm having it cut and highlighted in the morning - my daughter teaches hairdressers so she can't wait to get her hands on mine when it starts looking a bit neglected. She's promised that if I ever ask her to perm it, she will refuse!

eliza Thu 09-Jan-14 20:01:45

I have seen a bit of grey coming through--at first I would just try and gently scissor it out but now I feel quite proud of my grey hair coming through. It looks good and I have earned it. Be who you are and don't be ashamed of your grey hair, it is who you are.

annodomini Thu 09-Jan-14 20:12:15

I prefer to call mine silver because that's what it is in the front - there's still a bit of a mixture at the back. I use Aveda Blue Malva shampoo and conditioner to prevent it going yellowish.

Nonu Thu 09-Jan-14 20:13:19

I do not think people are ASHAMED of their grey hair !!!!!!!!!!!

Ana Thu 09-Jan-14 20:18:56

I have hardly any grey hair, and I'm not ashamed to say I'm glad!
(Saves all that should I?/shouldn't I colour it etc.).

I'm sure my time will come, although my maternal grandmother's hair never went grey, just faded a bit...

Lona Thu 09-Jan-14 20:59:53

I recently found a photo of me from 18 yrs ago (see profile) showing how red my hair was, compared to the other pics on there of me now.

Ana Thu 09-Jan-14 21:16:57

Lona, you were gorgeous - and still are! smile

eliza Thu 09-Jan-14 21:26:12

I totally agree with Ana

Lona Thu 09-Jan-14 21:49:38

blush thank you

norarow Wed 12-Mar-14 01:35:43

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.