Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Grey hair or colour it?

(118 Posts)
thatbags Mon 16-Sep-13 07:22:38

But I'm glad that naturally grey hair is becoming more fashionably acceptable again.

thatbags Mon 16-Sep-13 07:21:22

Indeed, g23, each to their own. Whatever works for each individual.

suggs123 Mon 16-Sep-13 02:15:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

glammanana Sun 15-Sep-13 23:16:57

granny23 I'm agreeing with you on this I use a colour every 6/8 weeks and have been light blonde for yrs now,I always make sure I use a good shampoo & conditioner to keep my very long hair in tip-top condition and do keep it covered when in hot climates.I am also this next week taking extra care with my hairs appearence as my DS2s wedding is this coming Friday and a girl has got to look her best even though the tears will be streaming into the tissues.smile

janeainsworth Sun 15-Sep-13 23:04:59

Agree with you granny23
I realised about 8 years ago that not only was I was the oldest person in the establishment, but I was also the only one who did not colour (note: not 'dye') their hair. At the time my dark hair was beginning to be streaked with grey, particularly at the temples.
This coincided with preparations for my son's wedding, and DH cautioning against wearing a fascinator because it 'makes your hair look drab'
shockshockshock
I sought professional advice from my lovely hairdresser and am very happy with the result.. I really don't care whether people guess it's coloured or not smile

Gorki Sun 15-Sep-13 22:50:12

I'm quite happy to be grey/white .

Galen Sun 15-Sep-13 22:46:43

I'm not doing anything with MINE!

Ana Sun 15-Sep-13 22:43:24

I've hardly any grey at all, except at the temples where it's just a sort of paler brown. I'm hoping it'll go the same as my maternal grandmother's, which just faded until it was very light brown...

vampirequeen Sun 15-Sep-13 22:38:43

I've never dyed my hair and so my grey is the next natural progression. At the moment I still have more dark hair than grey and tbh I quite like the lighter streaks that shoot through it.

Granny23 Sun 15-Sep-13 22:33:35

That Bags Dying is usually obvious anyhow. Well yes, but then so is lipstick, or nail varnish - is that not the point? I don't suppose for a moment that anyone believes that my honey blonde hair (nor my perfect teeth for that matter!) is natural at my age. Nonetheless, my hair WAS that colour until I was about 11, went mousey and has been blonde again since I was 15. I would not feel like ME without it and do not grudge £5 plus an hour's time every six weeks to keep it that way.

Each to their own smile

ninathenana Sun 15-Sep-13 22:30:23

I've been lightening mine for years. Originally because it was mousey brown but for the last couple of years to hide the grey.I asked DH if he thought I should stop and let the grey through. He said no. It's most unlike him, the usual response would be "It's up to you darling" so for now I will keep dyeing it.

Grannyknot Sun 15-Sep-13 22:14:06

That should be "... my hair is healthy".

Grannyknot Sun 15-Sep-13 22:13:30

This subject comes up every so often. I've never regretted letting my hair go grey after dyeing it for years and years. Firstly, I discovered that my hair was not "grey" at all, rather a fab silver shot through with dark - and I liked it! Secondly no more sitting in the hairdresser's chair for hours, mentally drumming my fingers and finally, my hair is healthier again like it was before I started colouring it. I get compliments on my hair nearly every other day.

And - with my son's wedding less than a week away, I've just put a conditioning rinse through my hair called 'Powder' which has given it the most gorgeous fashionable sheen (it washes out and is just to enhance the colour for the wedding).

Anniebach Sun 15-Sep-13 22:12:14

Grey hair for me.

thatbags Sun 15-Sep-13 21:49:03

oops! I think that should be dyeing!

thatbags Sun 15-Sep-13 21:48:27

I'm letting mine go grey. I've never dyed it and never intend to. Grey is fine. Dying is usually obvious anyhow.

simtib Sun 15-Sep-13 21:47:24

Maybe I am rather odd (many people have told me so), but I think natural grey hair looks much more attractive than dyed hair.
Personally I would settle for hair of any colour.

Jan09 Sun 15-Sep-13 21:40:49

I have noticed - mainly in magazines and newspapers but on the streets of London too - that more and more women are letting their long hair go grey rather than colouring it. I'm beginning to be tempted to grow my colour out and do the same. I hate the process of having it coloured and the expense and why can't grey be as attractive as blonde or black? What do other people think?