Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Do you recognise this painting?

(41 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 02-Oct-13 09:20:29

You know when you forget the name of something and it drives you insane well it's happened to me and I'm praying someone here can help.

It's a Victorian painting of a middle class woman sitting in a garden/parkland. She is wearing a respectable striped silk day dress. Her hair is neatly up. There is a child with her. In the background are oaks and a hart. It's a representation of woman/mother in the domestic sphere. Lots of imagery......hart/oak links her to heart of england/heart of the home etc. The title is Mrs ??????? and that's what's killing me. Can I think of the title????

Help!!!!!!

thatbags Fri 04-Oct-13 17:39:26

As a picture, I agree with those who don't like it. As a historical document, it is useful. As a painting showing skill and knowledge of the materials used, it is brilliant.

Stansgran Fri 04-Oct-13 17:34:58

Never listen to a teacher who tells you you are rubbish. Should be on the list of things to tell your daughter.

vampirequeen Fri 04-Oct-13 16:48:56

I had to study the painting in detail along with See the Pretty Baa Lambs and The Awakening Conscience as part of my OU degree.

I remember being swept away by all the imagery. Once I started I just kept spotting stuff....my essays were always over the word limit but my tutor accepted them because everything I said was relevant and she couldn't say which bits should be left out lol.

It was the first time I'd actually looked at paintings in detail because I'd been told at 13 by the school's very respected art teacher that I was rubbish at art and should forget about it. Of course at 13 I took that to mean I was not only rubbish at producing artworks but that I should avoid anything to do with art. Due to that teacher I missed out on so much.

Stansgran Fri 04-Oct-13 15:39:08

I love the web site.i can see hours spent here.

merlotgran Fri 04-Oct-13 13:44:48

Ha Ha Phoenix, I thought it was vile as well but didn't like to say so when I looked at the link last night.
The children look deformed and the boy holding the dog is decidedly creepy (was the model aged 50?)
No doubt the servants will soon be along to clear up all that picnic stuff.

Tegan Fri 04-Oct-13 13:42:55

The Awakening Conscience was meant to be shown with another painting [probably of the lady in question after being 'saved'] but somehow ended up being shown on it's own.

Anne58 Fri 04-Oct-13 13:35:35

JessM grin

I must say that when I read the OP, I thought it was an Impressionist one that I could almost see in my minds eye.

JessM Fri 04-Oct-13 13:31:13

Feminist nightmare phoenix?
Certainly a bit sentimental isn't it?
Reminds me of that weird one with the goat in - the Scape Goat
The Awakening Conscience is another interesting one - reminds me of the Crimson Petal, but it kind of implies a religious guilt (I have seen the light and I'm off to join a nunnery) rather than "omg what am I doing hanging out with this chauvinist tosser"

Anne58 Fri 04-Oct-13 12:33:49

Heavens, it's VILE !

Tegan Fri 04-Oct-13 12:21:57

I thought I was quite knowledgeable about Pre Raphaelite paintings but I'd never come across that one before. I think the central figure in several more well know paintings wear striped dresses and they sort of morphed themselves into your consciousness [along with the vertical lines of the trees]. Did you ever watch the BBC series about the Pre Raphaelites vampire? It was only going to the meet up in Brum at the Art Gallery that made me realise why I loved Pre Raphaelite stuff so much; I'd grown up seeing so many of their paintings on a regular basis, the museum/art gallery being one of my favourite places to visit.

JessM Fri 04-Oct-13 09:09:21

OMG - pre-raphelite indeed. I think portraits by the pre-raphelites not common? (as opposed to paintings with models in of historical/mythical subjects). But I bet this one paid well.
She is the very vision of ideal well-heeled mother of a growing brood isn't she. Idealised or what. Paintings like this always make me remember what a terrible time most women had in the 19th century. Even the rich suffered infant mortality, TB epidemic, obstetric carnage and probably VD as well, judging by the amount of prostitution.
granny23 even in early family photos you will not see smiles. But that I think was for technical reasons - slow shutter speed on cameras - easier to keep still straight face than still smile.
But apart from the notable exception of Mona Lisa, smiles were not the fashion ever in portraits were they? Which is probably why they always went on and on about the ML smile.

Lona Fri 04-Oct-13 08:48:31

Well, it has got striped sleeves!

vampirequeen Fri 04-Oct-13 08:37:23

OMG Tegan that's it. Thank you so much. It's been driving me insane. Where did I get the striped dress from?

Agus Fri 04-Oct-13 00:28:37

The only striped dress, hair up and a child I have come up with is Madame Monet

absent Thu 03-Oct-13 23:40:57

Granny23 Hard to keep smiling for the length of time it takes for a portrait to be painted – unless you're La Gioconda.

Granny23 Thu 03-Oct-13 22:34:02

Thank you VQ I have not found the painting you describe but I have been on a fascinating journey through 19th century women's portraiture. My goodness! some of those ladies look pretty fierce characters, while others seem subservient. It does not seem to be the done thing to appear smiling or happy in a portrait - obviously something to be taken very seriously.

Tegan Thu 03-Oct-13 19:21:53

www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/the-childrens-holiday

Tegan Thu 03-Oct-13 19:20:06

The Childrens Holiday [but it's not striped?].

absent Thu 03-Oct-13 19:12:06

Could it be something painted by John Millais? It sounds like his sort of thing and he was certainly associated with Holman Hunt.

JessM Thu 03-Oct-13 18:55:16

Ah a pre raphelite striped dress...?

vampirequeen Thu 03-Oct-13 18:52:43

I'm really sorry about this. I came across the painting when I was studying the works of Holman Hunt and his ilk regarding attitudes to women in Victorian England. Does that help anyone?

Stansgran Thu 03-Oct-13 18:37:52

I'd still go down the tissot line as he loved painting a striped dress.

Oldgreymare Thu 03-Oct-13 18:30:09

I thought of the Manet, also near a railway station but with a cunning amount of steam so no train actually visible!!!

Stansgran Thu 03-Oct-13 18:22:31

When you said striped dress I immediately thought of a painting by Tissot but I'm sure she's at a railway station. The painting is in Dunedin I think or Christchurch NZ

Tegan Thu 03-Oct-13 18:13:37

Yes; I tried 'picture of woman with deer in background' but it just threw up hundreds of pictures with deer in. A site called 'Painting Mania' has paintings by just about everyone.