Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Do you recognise this painting?

(40 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 02-Oct-13 09:20:29

You know when you forget the name of something and it drives you insane well it's happened to me and I'm praying someone here can help.

It's a Victorian painting of a middle class woman sitting in a garden/parkland. She is wearing a respectable striped silk day dress. Her hair is neatly up. There is a child with her. In the background are oaks and a hart. It's a representation of woman/mother in the domestic sphere. Lots of imagery......hart/oak links her to heart of england/heart of the home etc. The title is Mrs ??????? and that's what's killing me. Can I think of the title????

Help!!!!!!

janeainsworth Wed 02-Oct-13 16:50:57

bump!
I'm sure I know this painting too, but not a clue about title or artist.

JessM Wed 02-Oct-13 16:56:43

No a Manet then
And Sargant painted mainly indoor portraits.
Whistler? If we get the artist we may make progress

Henrietta Wed 02-Oct-13 17:23:01

Sounds a bit like Gainsborough to me

Elegran Wed 02-Oct-13 17:44:53

I have just Googled images of Gainsborough's portraits, but none of them seem to fit. The clothes are not striped, and the women are not Victorian.

What was the name of that website which wanted people to tag paintings a while back? I even tagged some, but I can't remember the name. A search among their tags might show something.

While I was typing that an email arrived for me from them! It is the Public Catalogue Foundation. www.thepcf.org.uk

I am about to go and do a search. Watch this space.

merlotgran Wed 02-Oct-13 17:48:06

Any of these?

Elegran Wed 02-Oct-13 17:52:45

That was not successful. If anyone else would like to try, I was searching at www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/

MiceElf Wed 02-Oct-13 18:36:15

I think I know the one you mean. It's (I think) by Berthe Morrisot, or, if it's not, it's by one of that circle of impressionist painters. I can't name it as I don't know, and never have known, the name of the picture I have in my mind.

And I might be wrong anyway...

MiceElf Wed 02-Oct-13 18:39:07

The one I found - in a thumbnail - is On The Lawn. Is that the one?

merlotgran Wed 02-Oct-13 18:39:48

I should have mentioned that the paintings in the group I posted a link to (above) are by Berthe Morisot. Might not be what you are looking for though.

MiceElf Wed 02-Oct-13 18:46:10

I should have looked!

vampirequeen Wed 02-Oct-13 18:52:40

Thank you for trying to help. It's driving me mad lol

Elegran Wed 02-Oct-13 21:08:12

The description sounds more like a male Victorian painter than they do Berthe Morisot. All that symbolism about woman at the heart of the home. Morisot's backgrounds are too blurry to make out whether there are deer in them too.

JessM Thu 03-Oct-13 17:35:26

I have tried searching Goole images for word combinations like:
portrait of victorian woman in striped dress deer

no luck I'm afraid

janeainsworth Thu 03-Oct-13 17:56:38

It's so annoying! I can almost see the picture.
Look what you've done now VQ grin

Tegan Thu 03-Oct-13 18:13:37

Yes; I tried 'picture of woman with deer in background' but it just threw up hundreds of pictures with deer in. A site called 'Painting Mania' has paintings by just about everyone.

Stansgran Thu 03-Oct-13 18:22:31

When you said striped dress I immediately thought of a painting by Tissot but I'm sure she's at a railway station. The painting is in Dunedin I think or Christchurch NZ

Oldgreymare Thu 03-Oct-13 18:30:09

I thought of the Manet, also near a railway station but with a cunning amount of steam so no train actually visible!!!

Stansgran Thu 03-Oct-13 18:37:52

I'd still go down the tissot line as he loved painting a striped dress.

vampirequeen Thu 03-Oct-13 18:52:43

I'm really sorry about this. I came across the painting when I was studying the works of Holman Hunt and his ilk regarding attitudes to women in Victorian England. Does that help anyone?

JessM Thu 03-Oct-13 18:55:16

Ah a pre raphelite striped dress...?

absent Thu 03-Oct-13 19:12:06

Could it be something painted by John Millais? It sounds like his sort of thing and he was certainly associated with Holman Hunt.

Tegan Thu 03-Oct-13 19:20:06

The Childrens Holiday [but it's not striped?].

Tegan Thu 03-Oct-13 19:21:53

www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/the-childrens-holiday

Granny23 Thu 03-Oct-13 22:34:02

Thank you VQ I have not found the painting you describe but I have been on a fascinating journey through 19th century women's portraiture. My goodness! some of those ladies look pretty fierce characters, while others seem subservient. It does not seem to be the done thing to appear smiling or happy in a portrait - obviously something to be taken very seriously.