Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

singing for fun

(42 Posts)
Rosannie Thu 06-Feb-14 14:33:01

Do any other gransnetters belong to a Community Choir? If so what are you singing? I love my weekly meet up with all ages and abilities, a good sing certainly lifts my spirits.

Grannyknot Fri 07-Feb-14 12:05:07

I am also in a "sing for fun" group and I love it. Our choir master says singing is a physical activity and makes us breathe and then breathe some more! He also makes us stand on our toes when we say we can't reach the high notes. I was in it on my own for a while, now husband comes too. He has a lovely, lovely tenor.

Once a year we have a concert to a mostly captive audience of family, and one year our children came and brought some friends, saying "Miss hearing dad sing Michael Buble? Never!" smile

Gagagran Fri 07-Feb-14 12:50:10

Another singer here - alto in my case (and nearly a tenor!). We meet every Wednesday evening and sing a wide variety from some John Rutter pieces, which I love, to a selection of Queen, musicals, standards and folk songs. We are currently learning and rehearsing some 40s popular songs ready for giving two concerts to commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE day.

As others have said, it's a three-line whip for family to attend and enjoy our concerts but I think they do actually like to support us. I would recommend anyone who likes singing to find and join a choir - it's very good for you and it's enormous fun! smile

Flowerofthewest Fri 07-Feb-14 15:10:50

Friend lives near Southam and I live in North Herts (there is one group in my area as friend comes down once a year to sing)

janerowena Fri 07-Feb-14 18:59:34

We all sing in my family. Ex-Cathedral choristers, DBH and DS. DBH sings and actually gets paid for it. He sings for a few choirs. I belong to three, one of which is a community choir and I just turn up towards the end of their term, but my main one sings rather obscure stuff, there is very little light relief as much of it is mediaeval church music. However, it is very beautiful. I breathe a sigh of relief though when we have a concert at short notice and are allowed to do something nice and easy and happy such as Vivaldi's Gloria - this term's easy piece is The crucifixion by Stainer, so not exactly happy... We sing mainly for charity and there are maybe a dozen or so concerts a year. I love it but would be happy without the concerts, although some are amazing, particularly the ones with good orchestras and conductors, but I just like to sing and to learn new songs. I am a first alto, occasionally I sing second soprano. I love it, but hate having to travel through the snow and ice in the winter to choir practice!

Mishap Fri 07-Feb-14 19:20:22

Stainer's Crucufixion - groan! I hate that piece!

Jane - your choir experience sounds much like mine - but it has been a bit curtailed in the last year or so because of ill health. I am determined to get back into the swing of it.

Galen Fri 07-Feb-14 19:47:58

I bought our organist a door wedge, so that we could stop flinging wide those B----y gates!

Galen Fri 07-Feb-14 19:50:11

Gaga do you sing Malcolm Archer? I hated singing him. Was an alto!
Now a raspy growl. Given up.

merlotgran Fri 07-Feb-14 20:00:42

I used to sing 1st alto with Ely Choral Society but dropped out for a while when DH had a stroke. I then had three years of coping with mum's care issues and although I would love to go back I now find myself backing away from anything that spells commitment. Driving home from rehearsals late at night in the middle of winter, shivering in a freezing cold cathedral, fund raising, hours of practising at home with cyber bass, a long rehearsal on concert day and then the performance itself (best bit, of course). I wish I could summon up the enthusiasm I once had but I just can't.

And then there's the feeling.....Oh not another Requiem Mass.

Gagagran Fri 07-Feb-14 20:16:53

Not come across a Malcolm Archer piece with this choir Galen but I have only been in it for 18 months. I find I have got lower with age (in all respects!) and can't manage above a D but I can get very low. I reckon I'll be a basso profundo before I've done! grin

Galen Fri 07-Feb-14 20:52:50

Lucky you!

jennycockerspaniel Sat 08-Feb-14 02:20:37

I joined Singing for Please at my U3A and really look forward to it and we sing for charity We go to the Sage at Newcastle to a workshop and have coaching on morning and concert in afternoon We sing some great pieces I like You raise me up. and Let it be me and our signature tune is Thank you for the music Join and enjoy

janerowena Mon 10-Feb-14 22:50:11

Merlotgran - I love Ely cathedral but wouldn't like to have to practice there. It's a bit dark and cold! I really do hate having to go out at this time of year and we can end up all over east anglia. It's awful when you drive somewhere in the dark on ice, then come out to snow when you are shattered and you have an hour's drive home. I am starting to make excuses for some of the more distant concerts.

Yes, we only rehearsed flinging wide gates etc. for three weeks, we were about to start a rebellion so now we have swiftly moved on to doing some nice gentle Rutter stuff and madrigals, Sprig of Thyme being one set. Any of you in Gloucester? We are doing a joint concert with another choir from Gloucester for some reason in May, but I don't know why or where yet. The Easter church concerts are not my favourites, as there is always a requiem or something involved. I know they can be beautiful but there are so many lovely Springtime songs around, so it's nice to be able to do both at a variety of concerts, it's hard work learning so much in a short space of time though. We often only rehearse something a few times so I always feel I am living on the edge!

boheminan Tue 11-Feb-14 00:31:14

I've just returned from my 'weekly night out'. A couple of years ago I started a music session in a local pub which embraces all types of music. It's really taken off - every week there's around 20 of us that come together and sing/play music in the style we enjoy, some professionals, most amateurs. All ages and music styles - it doesn't matter. Everyone can sing…it's very therapeutic. We all have a great night out singing, which for all of us, no matter what age, or style, is the most important thing :-)

janerowena Tue 11-Feb-14 10:12:09

A friend who sings in a huge ladies choir posted this link on her fb page this morning

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/11/join-a-choir-do-something

It perfectly describes the feeling of euphoria that you can sometimes get, especially when you first start. I find it very hard to get to sleep on the first night after the first rehearsal of every term, because the music is going around in my head and I think I am probably singing it in my head all night!

Mishap Tue 11-Feb-14 11:04:21

My most treasured memory is singing Mahlers' choral symphony under conductor Charles Groves at a Three Choirs festival. The choir comes in very very quietly in the last movement, just as shimmering magical sound - Charles Groves achieved this my simply not bringing us in!!! - there are hundreds of bars to count before the entry, so we all filtered in somewhat fearfully and achieved the exact effect that was needed. Magic!

vegasmags Tue 11-Feb-14 11:29:57

merlotgran - the hours with cyberbass really struck a chord with me, to coin a phrase. This is my plan for the afternoon, plodding along with the alto part of Haydn's creation. I haven't got a very good voice, and I have to use a hearing aid, but I shall just keep going until someone asks me to leave grin