Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Thomas Tallis

(13 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 26-Mar-14 18:12:00

You have introduced me to something new and beautiful, and for that I thank you.

janerowena Wed 26-Mar-14 16:40:57

I love that one, I have always loved Thomas Tallis. He is one of the few composers that makes me want to cry. DBH sings with the Tallis Scholars sometimes.

mollie Wed 26-Mar-14 16:37:46

I'm full of admiration for anyone who sings solo or in a choir ... must be the most wonderful feeling! I'm often moved by such lovely music, shame we only come across it rarely these days...

Nelliemoser Wed 26-Mar-14 15:51:08

My son got involved in a "Flashmob" performance of "Spem in Alium" in the British Museum. Having rehearsed it a bit before, they all walked into the Museum, stood themselves in a circle sang it and walked out again. DS says the security staff were a bit unsure about what to do about it, but it was popular with the other visitors.

Such a complicated musical offering is way beyond my competence.

Tegan Wed 26-Mar-14 15:10:57

Wow; respect for that. The guy who talked about it said it was a nightmare to perform as you're so worried about coming in at the right time! The programme, by the way was called A Very British Renaissance; it's on iplayer at the moment. Think I'll watch it again.

Mishap Wed 26-Mar-14 15:06:39

Spem in Alium indeed. I have sung this twice, once for a TV programme with hundreds of voices all around the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester - wonderful!

It just so happens that I heard this live last weekend with my daughter singing (bosom swells at this point!) - they sang it twice, once in concert formation and once in the round.

I first came across it when someone gave me a recording of it fr my 40th birthday.

Tegan Wed 26-Mar-14 14:10:37

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lw8nH6dQIo
I love this as well....

MiceElf Wed 26-Mar-14 13:48:02

Tegan you might like The Lamentations of Jeremiah too. There's a beautiful recording if it by the Tallis Scholars on Gimell.

Lona Wed 26-Mar-14 13:34:43

I love Thomas Tallis, so calming, so uplifting, so beautiful.

Tegan Wed 26-Mar-14 13:29:14

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW-eiyNnsxY

Tegan Wed 26-Mar-14 13:27:25

Thanks mollie. Isn't it beautiful smile.

mollie Wed 26-Mar-14 13:24:34

Spem in alium a 40....

Tegan Wed 26-Mar-14 13:13:20

Watching a programme last night it featured some music by Thomas Tallis that started with one voice but ended with 40, all singing something different. It was amazing but I can't remember what it was called. I'm sure Mishap or Galen will be able to tell me smile.