Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Other people's toys

(42 Posts)
Starling Tue 30-Sep-14 21:46:22

Following on from the hen discussion, did your brother/male cousin have a toy you wanted? Did you favour "girlie" toys or unisex toys? Did you sneakily enjoy playing with your children's toys!?

I had a pale blue plastic train set (powered by imagination) but enjoyed playing with my children's Brio battery-powered engine!

Starling Fri 03-Oct-14 18:00:23

JoyBloggs and Tegan A few years ago I discovered sets of Britain's model garden were available on Ebay and had a short craze of buying up all the bits I had had as a child. (As they were in sets have ended up with more than I had originally). It's lovely - a plastic miniature garden where you can plant the flowers and design the layout - there's the lawn, the crazy paving paths, the flowerbeds, the little flower pots. I was very pleased to have it back again.

DS and DG did think I had gone mad......

petra Sat 04-Oct-14 13:26:09

I suppose it must have been the early 50s when my Dad brought back from America a pair of roller skates with ball bearings. The wheels were green and they had red leather toe caps. You can imagine how proud I was.

JoyBloggs Sat 04-Oct-14 21:21:04

Tegan I would soooooo love to come and play with your Bayko, what a kind invitation, but sadly I am at least 100 miles away - so I think I shall have to decline... sad But thank you anyway!

Starling I had forgotten all about the miniature garden stuff and you have just reminded me. My brother had loads of it and I really loved it and often played with it. He has a big birthday soon so I may have a look if there's any on Ebay - that would surprise him!

Tegan Sat 04-Oct-14 21:26:16

One of the reasons why I kept all of my childrens toys was that my children loved going to visit my MIL as she had a few toys that had been their dads; Bayko was one of them. They never wanted to visit my mum because there was nothing to play with. I'm going to take the Bayko to my daughters next week and see how the boys react to it; I bet they'll love it. Wish I had a bigger set, though; doubt if it even makes a complete house sad.

Starling Sat 04-Oct-14 21:53:36

JoyBloggs there's some Britain's miniature garden stuff on Ebay currently! Also just discovered they have Betta Bilda on there too...... (I think Betta Bilda must have been a rival to Bayko)..... I am resisting the idea of buying some!

etheltbags1 Sun 05-Oct-14 21:54:55

some of these posts are so sad, my toys were not always given to me, I had a lovely doll once with a pretty dress cicra 1960 it was in a box and I loved it, however I was told it was for 'best' and it was put in its box and kept on a high shelf, I was allowed to look at it and had to put it back. I grew to hate this doll. Other toys I was allowed to play with and I loved my dolls gave them names and played with them, I would have loved a Barbie or Cindy but was told they were too expensive but by then I was getting older and did not really miss them. I made sure my DD had all the Barrbies etc I could buy and I never put her toys away.

JoyBloggs Tue 07-Oct-14 20:14:47

Starling Thank you for the useful info re miniature garden stuff, I wouldn't have remembered the manufacturer's name was 'Britain'. I've just seen the items you mentioned on Ebay so hope to give my 'little' brother some for his birthday. I think he will be well pleased!

Starling Tue 07-Oct-14 21:05:05

Oh dear I hope you don't become addicted like I was for a short while !

JoyBloggs Wed 08-Oct-14 12:40:59

Starling Hmmmmm, yes, it's a tad worrying! I'm old enough to know better... grin

Jess25 Thu 18-Dec-14 22:31:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ana Thu 18-Dec-14 22:44:20

I'm sure they do, Jess hmm
(Reported)

crun Thu 18-Dec-14 23:18:15

I had Betta Bilda too, it was hopeless! The bricks didn't stick to one another, so after I built something it only took a slight nudge and the whole lot collapsed. Dad chucked it out and bought me some Lego instead.

The only toy I still have is the Meccano.

numberplease Wed 04-Mar-15 15:26:55

I always wanted one of the 24" tall "walking" dolls that were advertised every Sunday in the News of the World, but I was nearly 10 before I got a walking doll, not as big as those though, but was mightily disappointed to find that it didn`t go walking off on it`s own, had to be held by me, felt a bit cheated. I spent hours and hours, right up to the age of 14 (we didn`t grow up so fast in those days), playing with cardboard dolls and their paper clothes, I had several of them, boys and girls, absolutely loved them.

Tegan Wed 04-Mar-15 15:41:38

Oh I used to love those. You can still buy them; I saw something similar in Waterstones a few months ago. I tok a photo of all of my dolls sat together but when my parents died I couldn't find that photo anywhere sad.

Katek Wed 04-Mar-15 19:39:02

I had a trike with a boot as well! It was made by Triang I think, and was a beautiful burgundy colour. I used to put nests of grass in the boot for the various worms I collected. I also loved my dolls' house which must have been very modern....it had tiny light bulbs in it with a battery mounted on the back. My other favourite was my granny's button tin which was an old National Dried Milk tin, it was my treasure tin of jewels. I still have it, some of the buttons must be 100 years old.

CeeCee Wed 04-Mar-15 20:54:39

My brother and I were lucky enough to own a Lego set before they were even on sale in this country, our Grandad had brought it back from a business trip to Germany. Lego was one of our favourite toys, another being offcuts of wood, hammers and nails (DF was a carpenter) and we spent many happy hours in the shed making things. Elf and Safety would have a fit. I still have the desk my DF made for me when I was 5, it will be 59 this year.
As for the Lego we still have masses of it in the house for the GC's and I still love it, but then I suppose I would as I was lucky enough to work for the Company.