Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Art is culture, right?

(134 Posts)
thatbags Fri 31-Oct-14 13:27:49

So when I saw this title, I thought I'd better find out what he meant:

Title: Jonathan Jones, the Guardian's Art critic, is a twat, by Iain Dale

Jonathan Jones is a twat. He’s the art critic of The Guardian, and wrote this week that the poppy display in the Tower of London was “fake, trite and inward looking – and a UKIP style memorial”. In a typically elitist Guardian manner he also criticised the sculpture’s (for that is what it is) “mass appeal”.

The man is an idiot. Naturally, he refused to come on my radio show to defend himself or his stance, which seemed more designed to court publicity than anything else. I have never seen the point of art critics. They sit in their ivory towers and take issue with anything that normal people tend to appreciate. Instead, they laud praise on modern art which the rest of us regard as a joke.

On my LBC show I am launching a campaign to persuade the Tower of London to keep the poppies there until 11 November 1918, the hundredth anniversary of the armistice, assuming that the poppies can stand the weather. I wonder what Jones would say about that. But then again, who gives a monkey’s arse what he thinks.

~~~~~~

What do you think of the idea of keeping the poppy display at the Tower? And do you agree with what he says about art critics?

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 21:39:11

Have done , Marm,

Roger , over and out!

grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 21:31:07

Ana and Nonu grin grin grin

Sort it out!

Thanks Eloethan.

Eloethan Wed 12-Nov-14 21:01:48

jingle I absolutely agree with you.

Ana Wed 12-Nov-14 20:54:49

Not everyone uses Hotmail though, Nonu!

And your Inbox is at the top of this page, right next to the Log Out button...grin

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 20:50:23

Well mine is Hotmail, and I don"T know where the inbox is,! DUH

Ana Wed 12-Nov-14 20:41:18

Go to your Inbox or, if you've opted to be emailed when you get a GN messaage, to your email provider.

Which may or may not be Hotmail...hmm

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 20:38:41

That is what I go onto to receive my PM"S !

So okay, I MIGHT be wrong , shoot me !

You tell SOON what is the proper way to receive PM"S.

grin

Ana Wed 12-Nov-14 20:32:55

What you on about, Nonu - Hotmail? confused

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 20:26:47

Just think people may be waiting to hear from you !
smile

soontobe Wed 12-Nov-14 20:22:50

Or just click on "Inbox" above and take it from there

oohh. I hadnt really noticed that box, and certainly didnt know what it was about.
Thanks!

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 20:14:53

My eldest G/S is in the scouts and loves it , such a worthwhile institution.

Teaches them many, many good things !

His younger brother is in the beavers and will then go to scouts, I am very pleased that my DD is carrying on with tradition as my son did the same !
smile

Ariadne Wed 12-Nov-14 20:14:49

Or just click on "Inbox" above and take it from there.

soontobe Wed 12-Nov-14 20:13:19

eh?
I will see if I can find it.

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 20:09:19

SOON , guess you are new here, do you know about private messaging?

It is where posters send messages to a poster of their choice, in private!

To access go on to HOTMAIL.
smile

alex57currie Wed 12-Nov-14 19:23:03

Soontobe No, NW England.
Alex

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 19:13:42

I can spell Reservists.

See?!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 19:13:04

Please let me big up Scouting. It's much better for them. And the boys are less likely to go on to join the Reservsts. (And we know the Reservits are no longer kept in reserve, don't we?!)

Iam64 Wed 12-Nov-14 19:09:14

That's the point Elegran. My father in law joined the Sea Scouts, and even at 80 would tell us how it saved him from getting over involved with the bad lads.

soontobe Wed 12-Nov-14 19:05:27

alex, in the US?

Elegran Wed 12-Nov-14 18:50:00

There was a cadet corps at DH's school. Most of the boys joined it, more for the camping and activities than for the soldiering. They learnt map-reading and outdoor cooking, and how to put up a tent properly and they spent a fortnight under canvas walking and climbing and orienteering. I don't think any of them actually joined the forces (except for National Service, which was not their choice)

alex57currie Wed 12-Nov-14 18:42:44

To add a further point-not far from where I live is a high school. There is a military school within the complex. Everyday you see children from 11-17 in battle fatigues mingling amongst the children in school uniform.

soontobe Wed 12-Nov-14 18:39:56

I will try and learn smile
Thanks for the welcomings [is that a word?]

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 18:31:50

Pogs, I don't think badly of the young people who join the Forces' Cadets. A bit sorry for them, perhaps. I think Scouting would be more appropriate, and definitely more fun.

Any child planting the final poppy would have been fine by me. Just not one in an army uniform. I don't even want to explain that any further.

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 18:29:59

Just go with the flow SOON., you will get it eventually, and either stay or go.!!

A (HUG) to you

[oh sorry not supposed to put upper case or exclamation marks ]

I am norty!! going on that step though !!

janerowena Wed 12-Nov-14 18:20:06

My son became a cadet when he was 13, and I can't say I was happy about it, but DBH's family are all Forces, as was he years ago so I suppose it was inevitable. My first thought when I saw him in his uniform was, cannon fodder, and I didn't like seeing the young boy either. It reminded me of all those football mascot children they trot out as PR.