Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

but is it art?

(66 Posts)
sunseeker Fri 22-Apr-16 12:37:59

There is an "art installation" in Bristol at the moment. An artist has moved two cows into a marquee in the city centre and plans to live there with them for the next week, milking them (by machine) three times a day. She claims it is to raise awareness of where our food comes from. Now I live in a farming community and feel that cows belong in fields not in a tent in the middle of a busy city, very close to a very large nightclub. I am all in favour of people learning more about where their food comes from but can't see that this will do that.

Granny2016 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:32:43

Nessie studied History of Art and is a very committed environmentalist,which I admire.
Having read as much as I can find about her and this project,it is very obviously a project relating to the food chain.
She spent 18 months visiting the cows to get to know them and talking to farmers...the display in Bristol is a culmination of it.
I suspect it is the press who have dubbed it art and questioned its validity as such ,as she only seems to reference the whole project in relation to milk production.

Granny2016 Tue 21-Jun-16 18:53:24

Art is many things,but not milking cows.

suzied Tue 21-Jun-16 05:11:05

Some cows are kept squashed up in sheds and never see a blade of grass so I expect these cows will be better looked after than many farm animals. If she wants to call it art then it is. Art isn't just a pretty picture you can hang on the wall.

Granny2016 Tue 21-Jun-16 00:13:07

I,m sorry Jaxie,but the Arts Council are the main sponsors.....no surprise there !!!!
This is a project organised by CAPE FAREWELL,a group comprising creatives,scientists and ecologists with sponsorship from various sources......
Greenpeace,RCA,WWF,Science Museum ,Royal Shakespeare company,and many others,though the Arts Council are the main sponsors.

I have spent more than 40 years as a professional artist/designer and have seen many projects which the Arts Council have sponsored.I share your frustration.
To call this an art installation is nutty ,but I expect that has much to do with the press.

Something far more informative and interesting could have been staged with the money ,where is the butter,cream,cheese?
The cows don,t look too bothered...they,re probably baffled.

Jalima Sun 24-Apr-16 18:53:42

Busman's holiday for DGS.
He could probably have got that tractor started again grin

And we go to one with the DGDs (nice cupcake)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 18:30:06

And then there's the tractor ride that broke down halfway round. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 18:29:18

The kids love it, of course.

It was quite fun being weighed on a cattle weighing contraption.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 18:27:23

Surely everyone on here has been to a Farm Sunday farm open day, and taken the grandkids? If not, where have you been living for the past God knows how many years?

(They're really boring but the cake can be good)

trisher Sun 24-Apr-16 17:53:46

That's what the organisation does- it obviously needs funding. It thanks Waitrose customers for their support. There is also a link to an open farms Sunday event
farmsunday.org/

Elegran Sun 24-Apr-16 17:42:58

They do need to be set up for it - they can't just let the children wander about, they need to have everything organised and explained.

trisher Sun 24-Apr-16 17:33:18

There is a dedicated website for farm visits so some farms must be up for 'hordes of school children' www.visitmyfarm.org/
They could probably do with more funding.

Jalima Sun 24-Apr-16 17:11:35

There are two city farms in Bristol.
I don't think it is pretentious.

the money would be better spent funding trips to farms for children so they can see what really happens and actually talk to farmers and farm workers
Unless it is a farm set up for the purpose of educating school children then it would not really be feasible to have hordes of school children visiting farms.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:34:08

It wouldn't be pretentious when you actually visit it. Just informative. Farm visits are good too of course. As are the farm open days they have nowadays.

trisher Sun 24-Apr-16 16:31:38

I still can't help feeling that the money would be better spent funding trips to farms for children so they can see what really happens and actually talk to farmers and farm workers. This may be very well intentioned but the pretentious nature of the project will put some people off.

Jalima Sun 24-Apr-16 16:17:18

I just posted the link on my FB page

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:11:51

At last! Someone seeing the light! Praise the Lord!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:11:01

more reading

Jalima Sun 24-Apr-16 16:08:49

Well, I say good for Nessie Reid!!

Well done that girl for having some initiative.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:07:04

It's not meant to be a bloody art exhibition.. It has got a serious function. To educate the population. And, my God, some of 'em need it. hmm]

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:05:04

Why do people have to take things at face value without trying to understand them properly. It's really not that taxing to the brain. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:03:36

Read this You just might get the gist of what it's all about then. hmm

rosesarered Sun 24-Apr-16 15:56:54

Does anyone remember ( years ago) the pile of bricks in the Tate? Or the Arts Council funding of two men carrying a plank around Britain? Stunts!

Gemmag Sun 24-Apr-16 15:49:30

Nessie Reid is a member of 'Fiery Spirits to Community of Practice'.
You learn something new every day.

Jaxie Sun 24-Apr-16 11:03:08

Artists with little real talent trying to establish themselves are desperate to be seen to be original, so rack their brains attempting to be different, not for art's sake, but to feed their egos. I like writing, but I don't foist my stuff on others because I'm aware that I'm a mediocre writer, with little that's original to say. Tracy Emin's bed installation was much criticised, but the woman can actually draw well too, and communicates her ideas very successfully. Give the poor bl--dy cows a break for goodness' sake. I trust The Arts Council hasn't funded this ridiculous spectacle. PS: my name was once anagramised by a colleague as Kelly-Jo Acid.

Gemmag Sun 24-Apr-16 08:13:49

Miss Reid is probably a farmers daughter as she seems to be very hands on.?

There was an excellent programme on Radio 4 today on milk production on a farm in Sheffield at around 6.30 am. Woke early.