Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Going it alone.

(119 Posts)
rubylady Sat 25-Jun-16 05:06:40

I really do want to go to the Ab Fab film but have no one to go with. Do other GNers go to the cinema/theatre on their own?

I also want to go and see Jenny Eclair at a theatre nearby in September. I have wanted to see her for a while but I do feel a bit wierd going by myself. I just wish I had someone to go with and share some fun time. smile

faringdon59 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:21:29

This a thread which strikes a chord with me.
I have lived on my own for ten years now. In that time have been on 5 holidays abroad on my own.
In the Winter often go along to the cinema solo as well.
Although would not do theatre alone.
Have learned the following:
If you go into a pub alone, choose wisely, possibly a family orientated one serving food.
And if it's the Summer you can enjoy a drink out in the sun with a book.
Found out recently it up until the 1980's a landlord could refuse to serve a woman coming into a pub on her own!!!
However, you will need to be strong minded to do this in most parts of the UK as society will view you as a loose woman, especially other women.
Having joined two singles groups over the years I found most people (men and women) are terrified of this going out alone thing.
In fact, we have had to put a man outside of one singles venue,to walk new members in! It appears they have no problem going into a pub in groups, but not alone.

Shellseeker Sun 26-Jun-16 09:21:30

Years ago I went, on my own, to see Shirley Valentine. There was one empty seat in the cinema .......... next to me!! Bit daunting, but the film was great so who cares?! smile

SunnySusie Sun 26-Jun-16 09:22:14

I go to the cinema on my own all the time, after all you are watching a film so its not in the least bit awkward in any way. Walk in, the lights go down, the film comes on, when the lights come up at the end you just walk out. The only issue at the theatre is what do you do in the interval, but in my case I usually spend most of it in the loo queue! I go on my own on holiday too - usually choosing a group walking holiday with a leader where nowdays half or more people seem to be solo.

Jenty61 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:27:25

Always went on my own even when husband was alive as we didnt like the same sort of films or theatre productions...

Elysium Sun 26-Jun-16 09:28:13

Ruby lady please give it a go, I've been going to the theatre and cinema many times on my own over the past few years, no one seems to notice I'm on my own and I get to see the things I really want to - rather than waiting for a convenient time for friends and relatives to come with me. Initially I was missing out on so many great plays and films, until I realised I would never get to see anything unless I took myself along....so good luck.

bellabrusco Sun 26-Jun-16 09:31:00

Yes. I often go on my own. Lots of people do?
Also when I stop work there is a weekly day time film showing called Silver Screen I think and it's for over 55s or over 60s and it's reduced price with free tea and coffee( and I hope biscuits!) I will definitely go to that and that is full of single older people . Very popular. Write to your cinema manager and suggest they do a similar session .
Enjoy Ab Fab film I want to see it too and I don't know anyone who fancies seeing it either .

Retrolady Sun 26-Jun-16 09:34:50

Yes, definitely go alone. DH and I often arrive at the cinema together and then disappear to separate films while he watches the noisy, complicated, blokey-type films I can't stand and I see something which I choose.

Bellabrusco - do you mean The Little Theatre in Bath. Yes, it is the Silver Screen and I go quite often - it's great and can be combined with a little gentle retail therapy afterwards!

starbird Sun 26-Jun-16 09:36:44

In our U3A group we have a small number of people who like to go to the cinema with someone, so somebody kindly volunteered to coordinate it. She has the list of about 20 names and whenever a good film comes up, circulates everyone with two or three suggested dates/times. People pick a time to suit them and circulate everyone else on the list, and it ends up with a few people going on two or three different days. They usually meet up in the foyer before the film for a coffee. It is much easier than it sounds.

But I am also happy to go on my own, once the film starts it is only like sitting at home alone watching it (except that you have to look presentable!) and the only downside is not having anyone to talk about it with on the way home.

marionk Sun 26-Jun-16 09:40:14

I have been on my own too, it's rather nice. I would suggest you pick the cheap day (ours is a Tuesday) and go in the afternoon if you are not working and I would bet money that you will not be the only single there! In our cinema people come in with their lunch/snacks/shopping and there are lots of people on their own.
Pasty DON'T put up with that attitude from your children! Explain how you feel about being alone, what you would like your future to be and reassure them that you are not deserting them - in my experience adult children are even more insecure than little ones when there is change to the bedrock (you) of their lives. Somehow seeing their parent as having the same needs as they do is beyond them at times. I guess we all like the idea that no matter what we do something always stays the same but if you have the chance of a new relationship grab it, you are blessed.
Enjoy both the film and the man! Good luck

patsy15 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:40:50

Thank you all. Feeling a bit low today and your support has really helped x

Jaibee007 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:42:17

I happily go to the cinema alone but I know what you mean it can feel a bit odd -I have learned to go to the theatre etc alone and I do enjoy it now -in fact I find it better now because if I am not enjoying myself I can go home at half time !!!it is different from having someone to meet up with and chat to but it can still be fun and very rewarding

patsykelly Sun 26-Jun-16 09:43:17

I was determined to enjoy my life after I was divorced, and yes, it felt very strange at first doing things on my own - but persevere, it's worth it. Take a book/magazine/programme; walk round at the interval; have an ice cream/drink in your seat. Luxuriate in treating yourself and having 'me' time. You're worth it - and you'll find being in company at other times even more special.

JuliaSue22 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:45:41

I'm a widow of less than a year, trying make myself do new things - not easy after 50 years of marriage (married at eighteen years old) and we always went out together. I haven't been to see a film or to the theatre yet. I too would find it daunting. I suppose it will have to be done eventually.

I wonder how you find people in similar situations living in the same area.

Altissimma Sun 26-Jun-16 09:52:55

Have you looked to see if there is a group that organises theatre trips in your locality? My daughter asked me if I wanted to see the AbFab film with her as our husbands wouldn't have to. I do sympathise about going to the theatre on your own so finding a social group who organise theatre trips might be the answer.

trendygran Sun 26-Jun-16 09:55:30

I do go on my own to the cinema if no friends are around to join me, or they don't want to see a certain film. Be brave and you'll probably find that there are several other people there on their own. Last week I went to the Thestre on my own and had a very nice conversation with another lady on her own who sat next to me. It took me a while to go it alone after my DH died but it's better than not doing things if my friends aren't around.

albertina Sun 26-Jun-16 09:58:08

I do a lot on my own. Mostly it's a happy experience. When I spoke to a close married friend about it she advised me to go for it and, in fact, to regard it as me taking myself on a date.

Get dressed up, perfume the lot. I always feel special when I do that.

All the best.

Gunilla Sun 26-Jun-16 09:59:13

I nearly always go on my own, have a nice drink in the interval read the program or a paper. Often exchange a few words with other theater goers. Rather see something on my own than miss out on a stunning performace. Got one ticket waiting for Carlos Acosta's farewell performance at Albert Hall..looking forward to it.

redamanthas Sun 26-Jun-16 09:59:59

I've been to the cinema, theatre and various placed on my own since being widowed 14 yrs ago. This year I'm taking the plunge and going on a cruise to the Caribbean alone. Not cos I'm Billy no mates but because people have different tastes, commitments etc. Go for it.

Essexgirl Sun 26-Jun-16 10:00:10

I felt the same, needing to find friends to have fun with and so I started local Women's Coffee Clubs and through these have met some amazing new friends who I can have a really great time with. We now meet up several times a week to do a lot of different activities.

Smithy Sun 26-Jun-16 10:02:14

Our local cinema does the Silver Screen thing, (yes you do get biscuits with your tea!0 The first time I timed it so the lights had gone down and nobody would see me nip in on my own, but when the lights went up at the end, I realised quite a few (women) were alone. I have also gone to the theatre on my own and went to see Sunny Afternoon in London on my own. I was quite comfortable about that.
People have mentioned the U3A which does groups for theatre going etc but the U3A didn't work for me it was full of cliques.
I love company but know I will have to do things on my own sometimes, so I just do it. As someone said what's the worst that can happen?

Skweek1 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:08:40

If there's a film or theatre that my family wants to see, those interested go. Last year I wanted to see Jersey Boys - couldn't possibly go to London for live show, and family hate 4 Seasons, so went by myself to the film and had a fabulous time. Last year went with DS to War of the Worlds and a couple of weeks ago he took DH and me to the new World of Warcraft film as a birthday treat; we had a lovely meal out and a fantastic evening! If you want to go, and prefer company why not chat with other singles near you and see if you can set up a group who may have similar tastes and could get together to go; if no-one else can accompany you on that particular outing, enjoy it; otherwise you can go together - who knows, could get a group of like-minded people who become good friends. Good luck flowers

MadMaisie Sun 26-Jun-16 10:11:25

I often go to the cinema or theatre on my own and it is fine. I am now even brave enough to go on holiday alone!

gillhas1 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:12:57

Have you tried Meetup.com ? There's sure to be several groups that arrange 'meetups' where you can meet people in your local community who share your interests.

USAGARRY Sun 26-Jun-16 10:27:04

I've been doing things 'on my own' for years....! Go for it. I bet you won't be the only 'billy-no-mates' sitting in the cinema! (And if you are, well, so what!) If people 'did' have anything to think about it, they might admire you for doing it...! You'll miss out if you don't take the plunge and get out there. Good luck!

kwal Sun 26-Jun-16 10:31:12

Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and go for it or you'd never go anywhere. The first time isn't easy I admit. I now go to the theatre alone and am looking at cruises/holidays solo though not quite found the courage yet. I will. It would be much better to share these things with someone but often there are other people there in a similar situation, usually ladies, so go for it and enjoy!