Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Manchester by the Sea

(16 Posts)
ffinnochio Sat 14-Jan-17 18:45:58

A superb film of love and loss set on the East Coast of America. Casey Affleck gave a superb masterclass of a young man coping with grief and responsibility. Marvellous insight into family relationships.

Just seen it and I think it's up there will the very best.

Such a tender film about the gritty realities of life.

TerriBull Sat 14-Jan-17 18:59:50

I want to see it, but want to see La La Land more hope it sticks around for a couple of weeks 2 cinema trips in 1 week is a bit excessive so will try and get tickets for week after next I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

baubles Sat 14-Jan-17 19:05:42

I thought that film looked as if it could be good, glad to hear it was. Thanks ffin I'm off to check cinema listings.

annsixty Sat 14-Jan-17 19:14:02

I thought Manchester by the Sea was Blackpool in the way that Nottingham by the Sea is Skegness. Rather disappointed.

janeainsworth Sat 14-Jan-17 19:14:49

Thanks ffinn sounds good.

Izabella Sun 15-Jan-17 17:35:19

One to add to my list. Thank you

whitewave Sun 15-Jan-17 17:38:19

Anyone seen la la land? Nor sure if it's me or not

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:08:59

Thanks ffinn, always on the lookout for a good film.

Grannyknot Sun 15-Jan-17 19:20:30

I've seen La La Land. It transported me, and it deserves every award and accolade it has received.

I came out and checked whether Ryan Gosling played piano himself and was amazed to discover that he learnt to play for this role.

A lovely, lovely film.

baubles Tue 24-Jan-17 22:10:04

What a great film. Truly lovely depictions of families facing hard situations. I'll be very disappointed if Casey Affleck doesn't get an Oscar.

Izabella Wed 25-Jan-17 08:39:35

Yes I saw this last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cinematography was excellent and the dialogue clear (I usually go on subtitles day but missed the bus) I loved seeing the places I backpacked around last year. Most enjoyable.

TerriBull Wed 25-Jan-17 09:19:50

Yes I agree baubles, Casey Affleck was outstanding if there's any justice he should win in the Best Actor category. Wonderful film, much better than the over hyped La La Land.

Eloethan Wed 25-Jan-17 11:15:21

It's had brilliant reviews but it sounded a bit depressing - is it?

ffinnochio Wed 25-Jan-17 11:21:02

There were some terribly sad moments, but ultimately, the future was one of hope and resolution.

Eloethan Wed 25-Jan-17 12:08:02

ffinnoichio Thanks - I'll try to get to see it then.

Bbnan Wed 25-Jan-17 23:18:53

Just finished watching it....A beautiful film...Very touching....Award winning performance from Casey Affleck....Far better than LA LA Land and Jackie ..They were very hyped up...There have been far better shows on TV based on the Kennedy's.