Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

HODS weekend-what did you do?

(16 Posts)
trisher Sun 10-Sep-17 10:52:58

Ive just spent a couple of days helping to open one of Newcastle's iconic buildings for the HODs weekend. All Saints Church Newcastle is a deconsecrated Georgian church which is usually closed. It is a beautiful building and many Tyneside families have connections to it through marriages and baptisms. It was great to meet so many lovely people and hear so many stories. Has any one else been involved in HODs either as a volunteer or visitor?

fiorentina51 Sun 10-Sep-17 10:57:17

I spent the day down in an air raid shelter!

trisher Sun 10-Sep-17 12:07:48

That sounds a bit claustrophobic! How many people could you fit in?

MawBroon Sun 10-Sep-17 12:46:16

Sorry, what is HODS weekend?

trisher Sun 10-Sep-17 13:10:40

Heritage Open Days- all over the country historic sites which are either usually closed or charge are open for free or stage events that are free www.heritageopendays.org.uk
Usually in September. Too late for this year but do look out for next. The greatest Free festival of all!

aggie Sun 10-Sep-17 13:58:20

My DS2 manned the local signal box , which our local history society has preserved. The library and records were available too , Culture night later this month is a big event here in our Village , with art , talks ,vintage motors and tractors all by locals

MawBroon Sun 10-Sep-17 14:58:04

Thank you.
I must admit that like the rest of this summer it had passed me by
Next year!

chocolatepudding Sun 10-Sep-17 15:37:47

Yesterday we set off for Thorington Hall in Suffolk for the one day a year it is open. It is owned by the National Trust and used as a holiday home. We arrived 5 minutes before it was due to open and nothing was happening - all closed up.
Went into Stoke by Nayland for a coffee and checked on the internet - opening cancelled.
We drove to Coggeshall in Essex and visited Paycocke's - a very interesting property.
Tried to book a tour of RAF Barnham today but fully booked - the owner is offering another day for tours in October so have booked to see it then.

trisher Sun 10-Sep-17 15:52:20

Oh chocolatepudding how disappointing for you. I think one of the problems is that HODs is largely run by volunteers and when something happens like illness there isn't any cover. Hope you enjoy RAF Barnham and maybe Thorington Hall next year?

hildajenniJ Sun 10-Sep-17 16:06:29

I'm a member of the National Trust and had not realised that it was Heritage Open Day. We went with friends to Coleton Fishacre near Dartmouth in Devon. Built by the D'Oyly Catre family in the 1930's. The gardens are beautiful and the house is fascinating.

Blinko Sun 10-Sep-17 18:45:35

Oxford, where the colleges and other buildings open their doors to visitors. Wonderful!

trisher Sun 10-Sep-17 19:12:42

I didn't know they did that. Think I'm going to limit my volunteering next year so many places I would like to see.

Grannynise Sun 10-Sep-17 19:30:26

HOD are next week in London - so not too late if you are near enough to visit the capital.

fiorentina51 Sun 10-Sep-17 20:32:56

Trisha, it was a fairly large one and I shared the session with a friend who is as bonkers as I am. My husband acted as minder. ?

trisher Mon 11-Sep-17 08:50:34

I want to go down an air raid shelter. We had a house with an Anderson when I was little but a bigger one would be great. Apparently my gran was her street shelter warden. She was supplied with regular deliveries of large amounts of disinfectant to keep it clean. Must have ponged a bit!

annodomini Mon 11-Sep-17 09:56:56

Stockport has a network of air-raid shelters, open to the public. They were carved into the natural sandstone cliffs and go on for about a mile. They are open to the public.
www.stockport.gov.uk/about-the-air-raid-shelters/air-raid-shelters-history

My granny had an Anderson shelter but the night before I was born, when German bombers were flying back from raids on the Clyde shipyards, my Mum was under granny's large kitchen table.