Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Buying art

(94 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sat 29-Dec-18 21:14:44

I've always had an interest in art, sculpture, nature, photography and have in my possession, 4 signed watercolours of historic London buildings, 2 Jack Vettriano prints and 1 by an unidentified 'Dutch' painter, a 'dupe'.
Today, scrolling through an online curated gallery, I came across two paintings which I returned to again and again so I bought them. The artists are Beverley Brown and Jenna Rose Marti.
I will never tire of looking at them and that is the criteria I use when buying anything 'arty'.
No logic as to why those two, just a feeling. smile
Have you any art and why that piece?

GabriellaG54 Sat 29-Dec-18 21:16:24

The paintings are below.

mumofmadboys Sat 29-Dec-18 21:30:54

I love seascapes by Nel Whatmore a Yorkshire artist. She also paints flowers and landscapes. If anyone is interested check her website.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 29-Dec-18 21:35:35

I also like Jack Vettriano.

GG54 if you ever get the chance to go to “Le Manoir” in Oxfordshire they have a Jack Vettriano “suite” It’s stunning!

PECS Sat 29-Dec-18 22:20:04

Gabriella I recently bought a lino print at the Watts Gallery, Compton which is just up the road from me, .. spontaneous ..because I really liked it and it reminds me of the local area where I go walking.
I have an original piece I bought in Bristol by a young woman artist , Malak Mattar.
I have two other originals by Leila Simes which belonged to my dad, and then my dad's paintings too. He was an amateur..but I like his work.

MawBroon Sat 29-Dec-18 22:44:28

We have many many paintings including this West Highland oil which Paw bought himself about 8 years ago. At the time I said it would have to be his birthday and Christmas presents for the nex 10 years. Others are by family friends or paintings we have inherited.
I have some lovely framed set and costume designs by my DD who is a theatre designer and some by Sis in law, a costume designer and costume historian.
I am also fond of a small sculpture which SIL gave Paw for Christmas a couple of years ago but sadly his work is way out of my league.
Always so pleased when I hear of people buying work by “real” artists instead of off the shelf from the likes of John Lewis.

MawBroon Sat 29-Dec-18 23:56:51

This old chap came from my Scottish grandfather, I would love to think he was an ancestor!
The sketch is of my late FIL by his sister and the oil by a well known Frenchman who was also a D-day hero and a family friend.
All our pieces have some personal connection which makes them very special.

Jane10 Sun 30-Dec-18 07:54:20

We love our paintings and etchings. In fact we've had to stop going to galleries as we've no wall space left! I'd post some favourites but keep being told insufficient memory to do it. Very odd as I can post pics on Facebook and Twitter. Anyway, our taste appears to be for Scottish 20th century colourists. My favourite painter is JD Fergusson but no chance of buying one of his paintings due to astronomical cost. However, we did find a small charcoal sketch of his which I treasure.
Each of our pictures gives me such pleasure. Sometimes we move them around so we can 'look' at them afresh in a new location. Sorry to go on. Its just a subject close to my heart.

Humbertbear Sun 30-Dec-18 08:40:00

My very absolute favourite picture in our house has been in my possession for nearly 60 years. It is a large framed print of a painting in the Louvre (I’ve never managed to find the original) by the artist Foujita. It has always hung in my bedroom and it is the one I would save if there was an emergency. We have some paintings of value but this one is, to me, priceless. As for purchasing art, buy what you like as unless you are spending over £10k the work is not going to seriously increase in value.

J52 Sun 30-Dec-18 08:57:20

Jane 10 like you, I also like the Scottish colourists and artwork by the Glasgow Boys.
I’ve been fortunate to inherit several pieces and in the past, buy a couple.
I’m always on the look out for an unrecognised painting in a charity or junk shop! ( I wish!)

Auntieflo Sun 30-Dec-18 08:58:52

I have two etchings? that I bought from an old book shop in London when I worked there in the 1960’s. They are in cheap old frames, and are signed on the back. I would quite like to know more about the artist, but haven’t got around to it yet!!
DH was never too keen on them, too stern, he said. I think they are more of the serene type.
Anyway, they are in our lounge and I don’t think I will ever part with them, as I’ve had them over 50 years now.

Auntieflo Sun 30-Dec-18 09:00:04

Where did the pictures go?

Auntieflo Sun 30-Dec-18 09:00:23

Ooops

Iam64 Sun 30-Dec-18 09:07:24

We have one large painting by Dylan Isaac, we went to buy his Manchester Town Hall but it had already gone so we bought one of his new collection.
The rest of our art is either prints, or originals painted by Mr I, or by friends or family.
I suspect some would find our walls rather too decorated but I love it.

Jane10 Sun 30-Dec-18 09:23:46

Paintings/pictures personalise a home. There was a thread recently re Sister Wendy where I commented that I looked for an emotional reaction to a painting rather than an intellectual appreciation of it. All our pictures hit that spot for me. Lovely!

GabriellaG54 Sun 30-Dec-18 09:30:14

Thank you for all your comments. I plan to look properly at the photos you posted in order to offer intelligent? comments myself. They all look fascinating and I wonder what a psychologist would make of our choices. grin

eazybee Sun 30-Dec-18 09:48:52

Gabriella,I loved the first painting you displayed, the sort you can gaze at again and again, and see something more each time.

jacq10 Sun 30-Dec-18 09:49:59

I go for paintings of mountains/lochs usually. When I retired someone suggested a painting for me and I was taken to a local gallery and chose a beautiful watercolour of one of our "Fairy Glens". I remember buying a water colour at a local car boot and the lady asked if it was for the frame or the picture. She was the artist and said many buyers just wanted the frames! My walls have always been a bit crowded and after we down-sized we couldn't use the bath for a long time as it was my storage area (luckily we had an en-suite). We had left behind a long hall and big staircase so I really had to part with some - it was hard!!!

Cece44 Sun 30-Dec-18 10:39:03

What a coincidence! Have been looking at Artfinder online this morning! Some very different work and affordable! Auntieflo those etchings are lovely.

marpau Sun 30-Dec-18 11:01:07

I saw a painting several years ago and couldn't get it out of my mind. I went back to the gallery of course it had been sold. About 3 years later I emailed the artist and he had in fact painted 5 of these and yes he knew where the last unsold one could be found so I eventually got my painting and never tire of looking at it. As my gran would say what's for you won't go by you.

mabon1 Sun 30-Dec-18 11:22:27

I can afford prints and buy the ones I love. I have one pencil sketch original which was a gift from a talented artistic friend and will cherish it.

Annaram1 Sun 30-Dec-18 11:23:22

I have a lot of paintings as I have always been interested in art. I bought one or two from the Catawicki auction site. Also the Dutch painter Piet Mees sells his paintings for about £60 but you have to pay the postage from Holland. I have a lovely winter sunset scene by him which gives me endless pleasure. Don't forget to look in at your local auctioneers as they often have very good pictures. Happy New Year!

Juggernaut Sun 30-Dec-18 11:43:36

Many years ago, an art teacher friend told me that if you fall in love with an original piece of art, whether it's a painting, etching, sculpture etc, and you can afford it, buy it. So I do!
I collect the wildlife paintings of Carl Whitfield, the cat paintings of David C Lyons and the marine paintings of Richard Firth (although fewer of those, due to cost, and the small number he creates).
I have one original by Michael John Hunt, bought from a Penman antiques and fine arts fair before he 'made it big'. I probably couldn't afford any of his originals now!
However, my absolute favourite painting is one my DS bought me when he went on a school trip to Spain. It's abstract, but (to me) looks like a horseman tilting at a windmill (Don Quixote)! I love everything about it!
We have a few pieces of sculpture too, I like modern bronzes, in particular the birds of Ian Greensitt.
We don't buy because of worth, or as investments, we buy what we fall for!
The insurance premiums are a bit of a nightmare, but the joy we get from seeing these things more than makes up for it. Anyway, there are no pockets in shroudsgrin

GrannyMosh Sun 30-Dec-18 11:49:06

I am very blessed to have artistically talented friends. My little granny flat contains an original water colour of poppies, a print of an original by my closest and best friend which she has then overpainted, giving it an almost 3-D appearance, an acrylic by the same friend plus a pencil sketch of my little granddaughter done from a photograph, and another acrylic by a lovely Liverpudlian friend. I treasure them all, and feel surrounded by love every time I look at them, knowing that they were done especially for me.

seacliff Sun 30-Dec-18 11:50:56

I don't have any original art, but Gabriella I like your picture by Beverley Brown, I have always loved impressionist style paintings.

Forgive my ignorance, but did you buy the original or a copy, if you don't mind telling me. I just was surprised that the prints are available at quite reasonable prices. I'd always thought they would be out of my league price wise.

I have enjoyed looking at all your art. I have just been admiring mosaics by this lady, very different but I love her work. www.katygalbraith.co.uk/pictures-and-mirrors