Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Your favourite music

(104 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 17-Jan-19 06:45:43

I don't much like music but despite the fact I own no CDs, I do, very occasionally, go to YouTube to listen/watch selected pieces.
Today a friend asked me for a favourite song and it made me wonder - what do Gransnet members like?

Here are three I sometimes play.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XNBWpUKsKM
I've loved this since 1980 and used to sing it regularly in folk clubs and festivals.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypULmVfYZqM
I suspect this will be a favourite for Gransnetters.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9NVZMNyiM
*Just for the voices - and the very handsome Mr B^

BetseyBuran99 Wed 11-Nov-20 06:30:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

carolyngarza Mon 09-Nov-20 09:24:26

kiarajoe

My favourite music is from the song Lucid Dreams by Juice Wrld[1]. He was a great singer, when this song was released I wore his 999 shirt as I was so much excited as a fan. Unfortunately, he left us so early but made his name in such a short span of time. Here is the music video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzB1VGEGcSU

[1]https://juicewrldmerchandise.net/a-complete-documentary-on-life-of-juice-wrld-999/

Wow, Great I am also a big fan of the juice wrld. I also like lucid dream the song of juice wrld. But the like happiness is that if you wear <a href="https://www.juicewrldmerch999.store/juice-wrld-lucid-dreams-hoodie/">Lucid dream</a> hoodie.

Here is the link of song:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3vr1DkhPv4

Blossoming Sun 08-Nov-20 12:50:48

Recently discovered the wonderful Hildegard Von Blingin’ on YouTube, her voice is so beautiful.

youtu.be/Ch1aVmjvYTI

sparklingsilver28 Thu 29-Oct-20 16:52:26

Anniebach, EllanVannin Many years ago now there was a TV programme based on the life of Joseph Parry and when I first heard "Myfanwy" and have loved ever since. Welsh Male Voice Choirs move me to tears. Especially when I hear one sing the Salvation Army Hymn "The Old Rugged Cross". It reminds me of a friend of my LH who serviced in the Merchant Marine during WWII and who loved this old hymn which was sung at his funeral. Another favourite, Bryn Terfel Jones, introduced to him via another TV programme when he first became a national figure many years ago. Still love listening to my early recordings of him.

bonfirebirthday Tue 27-Oct-20 13:35:00

Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Emmylou Harris, Willy Nelson et al.

PinkCakes Sun 18-Oct-20 19:33:52

I like a range of music, anything from Catfish & The Bottlemen, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, to Motown, Rolling Stones, The Who, to Tina Turner, Amy Winehouse, Frankie Miller and reggae

netoadama Sun 18-Oct-20 17:07:41

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:36:20

I like a few different types of music.

1960s - Beatles, Animals, Beach Boys.
1970s - my real era - Argent, Eagles, Bonnie Raitt
Easy Listening - Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald
Rock - Whitesnake, Guns N'Roses
Blues - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Gary Moore
Classical - Handel, Mozart, Elgar, Holst

The most recent CD I bought was Paul Carrack - a fabulous voice.

Kate1949 Sat 22-Aug-20 14:02:41

I love Luke Kelly's voice (The Dubliners). To hear him singing, The Town I Loved So Well, Raglan Road, A Parcel of Rogues and many more. Bliss. My Irish parentage coming out!

kiarajoe Wed 19-Aug-20 22:35:37

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

kiarajoe Wed 19-Aug-20 22:34:35

My favourite music is from the song Lucid Dreams by Juice Wrld[1]. He was a great singer, when this song was released I wore his 999 shirt as I was so much excited as a fan. Unfortunately, he left us so early but made his name in such a short span of time. Here is the music video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzB1VGEGcSU

[1]https://juicewrldmerchandise.net/a-complete-documentary-on-life-of-juice-wrld-999/

Brendan80 Sun 28-Jun-20 00:58:54

Fennel Tue 25-Feb-20 18:17:54

As I wrote earlier, I enjoy many kinds of music.
A recent favourite:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT_63UntRJE
OTOH this one always gets me moving:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1UC-vCUZY

M0nica Tue 25-Feb-20 16:01:50

Classical music for me, especially Beethoven. DH is an opera fan. But as with any genre of music, composer or performer, even the best some of their output/repertoire, some of it will be rubbish. A great artist is only a great artist part of the time.

Ealdemodor Mon 24-Feb-20 16:41:20

Love music!
I like rock, pop, swing and the Great American Song Book type of music.
I have always felt somewhat embarrassed to admit that I don’t like classical music. I always thought it would “come on” when I got older, but, here I am - older, but give me Uptown Funk any time!

SalsaQueen Fri 24-Jan-20 16:43:05

I'm 60 and like a variety of music, from The Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, Mowtown, rock, reggae, to more up-to-date stuff by Catfish & The Bottlemen and Arctic Monkeys.

I can't stand Rap, Folk or Classical.

evianers Fri 24-Jan-20 16:20:04

Whilst teaching advanced English to a group of Belgian pensioners, one week I described to them Desert Island Discs and what this entailed. Would they please choose the 9 records they would take to an island. Amongst the normal choices, was amazed that one 89 year old lady chose 9 discs by Elvis Presley!! Each to his own. For me, music is essential on a daily basis, and there is nothing quite like Vivaldi. Superb.

jeanio Sat 18-Jan-20 19:38:44

I do like music and like a variety, e.g. Schubert, Schumann,Elgar, German Lieder, sixties Beatles, Stones, Drifters, Bob Dylan and more recently Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Paolo Nutini, George Ezra . I like music on the radio while I'm ironing and doing household chores.

JuliaM Sat 18-Jan-20 18:15:10

I like a wide range of music from the Rock era of the 50s, through to Soul music, Rock, and my latest discovery was something my daughter got into whilst at Lawschool, Emillie Autumn and her style of music, part Gothic, with Harpsicord accompliment, part Rock, from a highly talented singer songwriter, that reminds me of music played in the courts of Medieval times.

BlueSapphire Sat 18-Jan-20 17:52:47

I'm finding this so hard to answer as I was brought up on classical music, played the piano (and organ) and did both O and A Level Music. I also studied music as my main subject at teacher training college. My parents never had popular music on the radio; it was either the Third Programme or the Home Service.

And then at college I discovered popular music, especially the Beatles. Oh my goodness, what had I been missing? Then it was all Sixties Sounds on my radio and pirate radio, with presenters such as Kenny Everett and Keith Skues and found that I could live with both popular and classical which I still do now.

My favourite composer is and always has been Mozart, but I also love Schumann, Brahms, Wagner and Bach. Never been a fan of Beethoven.

I love the Sixties of course but went on to discover the Great American Songbook, which meant Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and the musicals of Rodgers and Hammerstein. And of course West Side Story. Still love most musicals. A great favourite are the songs of Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood, which DH courted me with!

I am loving the series which started last night on BBC4, Adventures in Music, I think it's called, presented by Stewart Copeland, the drummer from the Police, (Sting's band). Really interesting and very engaging.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 18-Jan-20 13:57:53

Sixtys

TrendyNannie6 Sat 18-Jan-20 13:57:12

I couldn’t go a day without music, I never have what I would say is a quiet house, I’ve always got music on whether it’s radio or tele on the music channel or cd playing. It doesn’t have to be loud. Although if I hear what I would term as a good record then the volume would go up. I love a variety of music from sixths to current music. Love all apart from opera

ginny Sat 18-Jan-20 13:51:35

For me it is the song or the melody that is important rather than the singer or composer.

I love music but I like to listen when I want to and dislike random background music.

Grandad1943 Sat 18-Jan-20 11:41:53

My wife and I both love the music of our teenage years, the sixties. However, these days it is André Rieu and His Orchestra that really has us glued to YouTube and Sky Arts for his concerts.

In July this year we achieved a many years ambition by getting tickets for his world-famous Maastricht concerts it turned out to be one of the most memorable nights of our long lives, and we managed to also get tickets to see it all again later in the week that time from a table seat at one of the many bars and cafes that surround the square.

Truly wonderful in every sense of the word.

Here are some exerts from his concerts

youtu.be/Yf_KXyMaoB8

youtu.be/tAsdo0zMUyA

youtu.be/IWH3Hmsr5fM

youtu.be/ls3gevqqqD0

ladymuck Sat 18-Jan-20 10:49:53

I admire your friend KatyK. In a world where we are bombarded with music, and assumed not to be able to function without it, it's very refreshing to come across someone who has the courage to admit disliking it.
It's very unusual to find someone who doesn't enjoy any kind of music, perhaps there is something in her past which has influenced her?
I dislike background music. I like to sit and listen properly to a piece. I'm completely out of touch with modern music but have a very varied collection of my own.