Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Has anyone sung or heard ‘Messiah’ quite recently?

(9 Posts)
Daddima Wed 23-Dec-20 18:56:37

We were just talking about this, and remembering singing the Hallelujah Chorus about fifty odd years ago at a concert in our village. The minister and priest rose to their feet, so everybody followed suit. I discovered afterwards that it was a custom, as King George 11 had stood up when he heard it for the first time. In years that followed many audiences stood when it was sung, and it always gave me a lump in my throat. So, we were just wondering if audiences still did it, as it must be ten years since I last sang ‘ Messiah’.

Iam64 Wed 23-Dec-20 19:02:10

Its a favourite of mine. I heard my brother in law sing in his choir at the Albert Hall in London two years ago. I was at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, to hear a couple years ago year. A friend's local choir sing parts of the Messiah every Christmas concert. None of those things are happening this year.

The standing custom as started by the King has happened at every concert I've been at.

I was listening to my recording yesterday whilst making mince pies. The lump in the throat is too often present in the build up and preps for this Christmas. Two years ago, we hosted 17 - this year, it will be the two of us - ah well, we are fortunate, our loved ones so far have escaped this virus, we are comfortable our home and our children and grandchildren are safe and spending Christmas Day together. We will walk down and have a cup of tea under their gazebo and hope for a better 2021

Spangler Wed 23-Dec-20 20:48:50

Go to The Gransnet Christmas Playlist 2020. www.gransnet.com/forums/christmas/1288705-The-Gransnet-2020-Christmas-playlist?pg=4 Scroll down to the 13th entry. Handkerchief at the ready. Enjoy.

Daddima Wed 23-Dec-20 21:25:29

Spangler

Go to The Gransnet Christmas Playlist 2020. www.gransnet.com/forums/christmas/1288705-The-Gransnet-2020-Christmas-playlist?pg=4 Scroll down to the 13th entry. Handkerchief at the ready. Enjoy.

Wonderful! And the audience were standing as well!
Messiah used to be on Spanish telly on Christmas Day, so I always sang along. That was when I could breathe, right enough.

MiniMoon Wed 23-Dec-20 21:30:39

I found it on YouTube and put it on in my kitchen this afternoon.
I love a good sing, and since I was by myself I sang along.
I love Messiah.

merlotgran Wed 23-Dec-20 21:41:55

I've sung it two or three times with the choral society I used to belong to but my favourite memory is from a school performance.

It was to be staged in the local church and during the final rehearsal, we'd just got to the Hallelujah Chorus when a cleaning lady suddenly appeared and started flicking around with a feather duster.

She was doing it in perfect time and how we got to the end without crying with laughter I'll never know.

tchgrin

Jayt Wed 23-Dec-20 21:51:20

The choir I belonged to sang it at the Royal Albert Hall with other choirs and two brass bands at a fundraiser for CRUK. It was a glorious sound and, yes, the audience stood.

Ngaio1 Wed 23-Dec-20 21:54:05

Not this year. Usually, i go with friends to a local Abbey for their performance. The real Christmas!!

MiniMoon Wed 23-Dec-20 21:54:32

This is Dashon Burton singing "The Trumpet Shall Sound." I hadn't heard of him before, but I'm a big fan of his now.
youtu.be/_rQYv8EsGSQ