Gransnet forums

Christmas

The Gransnet 2020 Christmas playlist

(94 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 14-Dec-20 12:42:59

Whether you're a seasoned Gransnet Virtual Christmas Party guest every year or it's your first time joining in the fun, everyone is welcome to our annual knees-up. Thanks to our sponsors ]], there's even a chance to win a £100 voucher this year!

Head over to our Virtual Christmas Party thread here to get involved and find out how to win.

And what does every Christmas party need? A cracking playlist to get you into the festive mood. Add your song choices on this thread, and we'll use your requests to make the ultimate Gransnet Christmas playlist (coming soon!) tchgrin

EDIT: The [[https://www.gransnet.com/christmas/gransnet-christmas-playlist Gransnet Christmas Playlist] is now live! Let us know us on the thread if your favourite is missing and we'll see what we can do to get it added.

Totaldogsbody Wed 16-Dec-20 08:54:02

Little Drummer boy, Pentatonix is just the perfect version.

MadfromWales Wed 16-Dec-20 09:51:08

Well - I noticed this hasn't already been mentioned. I'll say " White Christmas" by The wonderful Bing Crosby tchsmile
This is a beautiful and simple song, which transports me ( in my mind) to happier days when things were more simple and Christmas was just about family flowers

curlytops Wed 16-Dec-20 09:55:16

For this year how about Blue Christmas by Elvis!
Also Thank God its Christmas by Queen.

Trisha57 Wed 16-Dec-20 09:56:56

The whole of the Phil Spector Christmas Album, please!

kathy123 Wed 16-Dec-20 10:55:12

This was a Christmas no1 in 1971 does it count?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef6edDwphhk

Delila Wed 16-Dec-20 12:05:41

Thanks for that lovely video Grannynannywanny!

Craftygran, Madonna recorded a good version of Santa Baby.

Another vote here for Driving Home for Christmas.

garnet25 Wed 16-Dec-20 23:24:12

Once in Royal David's City, as sung at the start of the Kings College Cambridge Festival of Nine lessons and carols every year.

Riversidegirl Fri 18-Dec-20 16:00:11

baubles

Judy Garland singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

youtu.be/MKG5X0QMSWA

The words to this always bring tears to my eyes. If you listen carefully this year you may actually cry!

baubles Fri 18-Dec-20 16:29:14

Yes Riversidegirl, ‘we’ll have to muddle through somehow’.

honeyrose Fri 18-Dec-20 21:35:45

Aepgirl, Michael Buble is on tv tomorrow night (Saturday, 19th), Sky Arts, 8.20pm. It’s a recording of his To be Loved tour from 2013/15, so not a Christmas Show, but over an hour and a half of the Buble! Thought you’d like to know!

Ailsa43 Sat 19-Dec-20 02:43:06

I love this by the Florin street band....

youtu.be/H10f2w7T5CU

Spangler Sun 20-Dec-20 09:33:10

Luciano Pavarotti - Ave Maria (Schubert)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpYGgtrMTYs

Spangler Sun 20-Dec-20 09:51:08

Something that was on our bucket list that got ticked off many years ago was to attend the midnight service at Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris. The Finale was the 'Hallelujah Chorus' from Handel's Messiah, sung in Latin.

Try as I might, I couldn't find something similar from Notre-Dame but The Royal Choral Society are just as good, in Latin, of course.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZEtVbJT5c

Treebee Sun 20-Dec-20 20:57:48

Cheekily, I request Keeping the Dream Alive by Rock Choir as my voice is somewhere in the mix. And it’s an uplifting Christmassy song.

etheltbags1 Tue 22-Dec-20 18:16:45

A winter's tale by David essex

Flaxseed Tue 22-Dec-20 22:25:45

I’m really missing Fairytale of New York being played on the radio this year tchhmm
My ex and I used to do a great duet when it came on!
I do like Carol of the Bells but can’t not think of ‘Home Alone’ everytime I hear it!

Whilst I have resigned myself to my self isolation Xmas day alone, I don’t think I will be able to listen to any carols as they always choke me up confused!

Daddima Wed 23-Dec-20 21:23:03

Flaxseed

I’m really missing Fairytale of New York being played on the radio this year tchhmm
My ex and I used to do a great duet when it came on!
I do like Carol of the Bells but can’t not think of ‘Home Alone’ everytime I hear it!

Whilst I have resigned myself to my self isolation Xmas day alone, I don’t think I will be able to listen to any carols as they always choke me up confused!

I always sang it on holiday in Gran Canaria with a dear friend, now sadly no longer with us. For the last couple of years I haven’t been able to listen to it, far less sing it! This year, my first without the Bodach, it will be even more poignant.

suzette1613 Fri 25-Dec-20 06:00:40

Gaudete by Steeleye Span definitely.

Also any traditional Carols song by church choirs, preferably in Latin.