Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Membership for English Heritage, National Trust etc

(8 Posts)
Septimia Mon 18-Jan-21 18:45:09

I'm happy to pay my subs to keep the organisations going - otherwise the places to visit might have to close completely and not be available to visit when the situation improves. We used some of our local sites during the summer and enjoyed the space to walk in.

biba70 Mon 18-Jan-21 18:42:30

As many charities, they have really suffered due to Covid, in so many ways I must admit we gave up our English Heritage subs, but continued with NT- despite living abroad for past 11 years.

vampirequeen Mon 18-Jan-21 18:33:40

We belong to RHS, English Heritage and Historic Houses. We managed to use them during the reduced restrictions last summer. I think we got our moneys worth even though we had restricted time. That said we're retired so can go out any day that suits us rather than only having weekends.

David0205 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:54:07

We did visit quite a few NT properties last summer as well as independant visits, all had restricted facilities obviously. My only comment is that NT did not keep up their quality ( did not try very hard) compared with the independants.

Oldbat1 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:40:19

We elongated to NT but didn’t manage to use membership due to Covid. Our renewal cards have just arrived which we will continue with. I think their grounds are open but nearest to us is 10miles away so not “local”. Hopefully we will get some use this year.

Redhead56 Mon 18-Jan-21 16:07:17

Yes they should extend the time to be fair to customers. We bought our son and a family ticket for Chester zoo last year and it’s been extended.
It will serve them right if they don’t extend tickets because of this situation. If they don’t people will not bother when things get back to ‘normal’ they will lose a lot of much needed revenue.

MiniMoon Mon 18-Jan-21 16:06:27

I'm happy to renew my subscription to the NT and English Heritage, even though we have been unable to visit.
The properties, gardens etc still require upkeep and maintenance, ans staff still need to be paid, they need the money from yearly subscriptions as it is their only source of income.
I wouldn't expect them to give extensions.

Grannyjacq1 Mon 18-Jan-21 15:37:04

Am I alone in thinking that organisations such as English Heritage should extend the time period of their annual tickets, given that, because of the coronavirus, we have been unable to visit them for so much of the year? Yes, they did extend the time period for 3 months because of closure from April to June last year, but won't be extending tickets again in the light of the current advice to stay at home. I realise that this is a challenging time for charities, but it is for families too. We bought family membership for our son and his family, and, they have hardly had any opportunity to use their membership in the past year. I think more good will would be generated if they were to be a little more accommodating. I'd love to know what others think about this.