Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

plays where the actors can't do the accent

(82 Posts)
Yammy Thu 20-May-21 12:23:06

Does anyone else feel like me? I am originally from Cumbria and waited in anticipation for the new ITV four-part play that started on Monday set in Keswick.
The plot seems quite good the acting convincing the scenery beautiful, but where are the Cumbrian accents not one actor with an authentic one, one near-miss with a Yorkshire.
Other people in different parts of the country must feel like this as well.
The only time we hear a local accent is when we are visiting and a local farmer is on the news or on country file when they are visiting somewhere local.
Do Cumbrians not take to the stage or is the accent odd o and so obscure no one can emulate it.

Grannycool52 Mon 24-May-21 10:32:22

I think a lot of us have hybrid accents nowadays as a result of moving areas as children or later moving for college or work. It has probably watered down our accents and diminished the use of dialect.

pollyolly Mon 24-May-21 13:50:39

Once met a young man from Bocholt in Belgium who spoke with a perfct English accent. He said he was often told this but that he came to Newcastle and couldn't understand a word they said!

Magnolia62 Mon 24-May-21 14:27:40

My daughter is an actress. She says Norfolk and Bristolian accents are considered the most difficult to do but luckily she is Bristolian. An actor needs to immerse himself in a locality to pick up an authentic accent and luckily she has a good ear and friends with different accents. She records audio books and being able to assign different accents to different characters is helpful, but she will turn down books that she feels she cannot do justice to, a Geordie accent for example. Some listeners love her different accents and some are occasionally slated! It is really a personal thing.

Since I am Cornish, I loath some actor’s attempt at Cornish accents. Being from the county, I can often identify which part of Cornwall people are from as I imagine others can do if they live in say, Yorkshire. It is irritating when actors try to do a certain West Country accent and end up with a generalised country bumpkin sounding accent.

I love Sarah Lancashire but casting her in that drama, Kiera, I think it was called, set in Bristol just didn’t seem right. Better to have let her use her natural northern accent. People do move around to work!

Gabrielle56 Sun 25-Jul-21 12:41:13

Why is it that every single 'northern' accent is a variation on those in 'Emmerdale'? Mostly because: a friend had bagged an audition for a Manchester based role and on the way up from dahn sahth on train she watched back-to-back .....Emmerdale!!? Apparently it's the go to tuition for the struggling actor....and sooooo wrong!

Grammy666 Sat 16-Jul-22 07:36:35

JackyB

No one ever gets Norfolk or Suffolk right.

I remember Daniel Radcliffe saying that he once acted in a play set in Galway. He started off with a generic Irish accent but the other players soon put him right and he worked hard at the Galway. I expect he is very conscious of this now, so I will watch out for him doing other accents.

And with an Irish accent its awful when the actor loses the accent and it comes and goes ! And people say that a Welsh accent can decend into an Indian accent ... thats funny ..

MawtheMerrier Sat 16-Jul-22 09:17:26

Fair enough, it’s not Norfolk but I thought Ralph Fiennes Suffolk accent in “The Dig” was well researched and excellent.

www.uos.ac.uk/content/dig-and-distinctive-suffolk-twang