Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

The Lark Ascending

(28 Posts)
TiggyW Sun 12-Jun-22 21:33:05

I’ve just watched the documentary presented by the late Diana Rigg (one of my heroines), discussing the popularity of ‘The Lark Ascending’ by Vaughan Williams. It was voted no. 1 in a vote on Classic FM at Easter and has often been chosen on Desert Island Discs as a favourite piece of music.
I must be a philistine; I just don’t like it at all. I’d rather listen to a real skylark!
I can think of several pieces of music which, to me, are far superior:
Beethoven’s 6th
Fingal’s Cave
Beethoven’s 7th
The Blue Danube
Vltava
Scheherazade
I’d be interested to hear from anyone who can explain the popularity of ‘The Lark Ascending’.

hollysteers Thu 19-Jan-23 10:34:03

Nice work, but I agree with posters re overdone pieces. I never want to hear Nessun Dorma ever again! What a paucity of imagination to keep repeating the same old things over and over again, when there are so many wonderful classical pieces out there.

Wyllow3 Thu 19-Jan-23 11:39:53

Whitewavemark2

I live on the South Downs and am often accompanied on my ramblings by a skylark singing it’s heart out as it ascends higher and higher into the sky. There is nothing so glorious as, like this morning at 5.30 when I and the dog have the world to ourselves, the sun is up, the sky is that pellucid blue you get in early morning and the skylark is awake.

That music is so evocative of those mornings and the world at its peaceful best.

Yes, just so, tho its at the top of a moor in the High Peaks where I recall it. My favourite Vaughan Williams is "Theme on Thomas Tallis" (have shortened the title).

But my list of favourite music is too eclectic to define and top ten choices vary week to week.

However I wasn't brought up (I played the cello as child/teenager) knowing Early Music and the Early music show (R3, Sundays) is a must listen.

And recently discovered this amazing counter tenor... just for a haunting flavour....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzF11RsxcWg
Vivaldi - Vedrò con mio diletto - Jakub Józef Orliński