Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main

(338 Posts)
StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 22:04:27

The suggested format is that this is a discussion thread about the places along the route, links allowed in moderation, any food mentioned is vegan. Sort of like a treasure hunt for information, yet no teams, people sharing what they find.

eGJ Tue 02-Aug-22 14:20:23

Gute Reise!

StarDreamer Tue 02-Aug-22 17:18:04

Here we are in Bad Kissingen.

The following video starts off for about a minute and a quarter with music and a highlights sequence. It then goes into a hot roll sequence, quiet except for what I think may be the sound of water from the fountain but might be wind. I have not watched it all as I post this post, but what I have watched is, in my opinion, well worth watching, as it is a peaceful walk looking at flowers.

LINK > Rose garden Bad Kissingen (virtual Tour 2021) (17 miutes 52 seconds)

StarDreamer Tue 02-Aug-22 17:20:08

I have tried to find a video of the night watchman tour without success. Can anyone find the night watchman tour within a more general video about Bad Kissingen please?

MissAdventure Tue 02-Aug-22 17:23:02

Helloo! Sorry have been quiet.
Not feeling so well these last few days.

StarDreamer Tue 02-Aug-22 18:44:46

I hope you will get better.

Would a virtual walk around the rose garden in Bad Kissingen help, or is all a bit much at present?

MissAdventure Tue 02-Aug-22 19:02:34

smile
The rose garden sounds lovely, thanks.
I shall enjoy that.

eGJ Tue 02-Aug-22 20:15:32

Searched for video of NightWatch man tour, but only found static picture. BUT the rose garden is spectacular as you discovered StarDeamer hope you are up to a littlestroll MissA youtu.be/C8EQGB37Yi0

Hiraeth Tue 02-Aug-22 20:22:02

I can’t find a video either of the „ Nachtwächter tour in Bad Kissingen .But if you go on the website .Badkissingen–erleben.de there’s some info and the route .

Hiraeth Tue 02-Aug-22 20:30:09

Bad Kissingen has a beautiful Spa . Perhaps a relaxing day at the Spa would be a good idea ?
P.s I’d love to send a video ive found on you tube but no idea how ?

StarDreamer Tue 02-Aug-22 20:45:18

Noswaith dda, Hiraeth

Good evening, Hiraeth

If you type out the name of the title of the video into a post I will try to find it and add it into this thread if you like.

If you are using a computer running Windows, I can explain how to do it if you would like that.

If you are using some other device maybe someone else can explain for that device.

StarDreamer Tue 02-Aug-22 20:56:45

Hiraeth

I can’t find a video either of the „ Nachtwächter tour in Bad Kissingen .But if you go on the website .Badkissingen–erleben.de there’s some info and the route .

Thank you.

LINK > NACHTWÄCHTERTOUR

> (via Google translate) There are several themed tours in Bad Kissingen that ideally complement the classic city tours and offer interesting insights into special facets of the city's history. The night watchman once had the task of ensuring peace and order in the evening and night hours. In this tour, the former figure of the night watchman comes to life again for you. Get to know the idyllic city from a completely different perspective.

LINK > badkissingen-erleben.de/

Hiraeth Wed 03-Aug-22 05:52:01

Thanks for the tip StarDreamer I,ll try

StarDreamer Wed 03-Aug-22 09:29:51

Hiraeth

Bad Kissingen has a beautiful Spa . Perhaps a relaxing day at the Spa would be a good idea ?
P.s I’d love to send a video ive found on you tube but no idea how ?

LINK > Wellness resort Bad Kissingen: here the inhabitants of Germany rest and recover (7 minutes 30 seconds) (subtitles available)

eGJ Wed 03-Aug-22 11:38:09

Wow StarDreamer I feel the wellness. Does a visit here afterwards appeal ?

Obere Saline museum
There’s a lot to discover in the Oberere Saline museum. Until 1893, Imperial Chancellor Prince Otto von Bismarck stayed in this prestigious former residential building during his spa visits. Today the building also houses the Bismarck museum. It features Bismarck’s residence with its original interior and showrooms that tell the story of Bismarck’s politics in the microcosm of the spa. The Obere Saline museum also features dedicated sections on salt and salt production, the world-class spa Bad Kissingen, and toys on the top floor.
Opening hours:
Wednesday - Sunday: 2pm - 5pm

StarDreamer Wed 03-Aug-22 13:43:14

So it is open this afternoon.

These two videos are both in German.

If there is anyone on this trip to the museum who understands German perhaps he or she could post some indication of what is being said please.

In particular, are those white statues made of salt please?

Is anything said about why the salt does not absorb moisture from the air please?

LINK > Museum Obere Saline mit Bismarck-Museum (3 minutes 58 seconds)

LINK > Museum Obere Saline | Freizeittipp | Bad Kissingen stellt sich vor (3 minutes 4 seconds)

Googlt translate translates

Bad Kissingen stellt sich vor

into English as

Bad Kissingen introduces itself

Hiraeth Wed 03-Aug-22 18:05:21

Sorry been busy all day but able to find some info about the Bismark museum.
The Bismark museum is where Otto von Bismark the 1st Chancellor lived and worked while he was visiting the Spa .

Hiraeth Wed 03-Aug-22 18:28:00

Over 1000 years ago the springs were found in Bad Kissingen which were used for salt production..“ white gold „In the museum Obere Saline we can still see how the salt crystals through warming crystallise .

There is a stagecoach we can travel on to discover the beauty of Bad Kissingen

StarDreamer Wed 03-Aug-22 19:44:24

Noswaith dda, Hiraeth. Diolch.

Good evening, Hiraeth. Thanks.

Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg.

I am learning Welsh.

In case anyone is interested, a link.

LINK > Duolingo Welsh course

eGJ Wed 03-Aug-22 19:58:02

Sorry can’t find a translation for this in Welsh, but here is the breakfast Bismark chose in Bad Kissingen from the
www.badkissingen.de/media/www.badkissingen.de/org/med_18995/116480_190812_bk_reisefuhrer_nachdruck_web.pdf
The Bismark Breakfast
You’ll lose weight one way or the other –
Bismarck ordered the following
for his breakfast:
cold partridges
cold roast ham
fried eggs and chops
grapes and peaches
beer and wine
champagne

Hiraeth Wed 03-Aug-22 20:12:30

Bismark was very,very overweight .No wonder if he ate all that at breakfast time ?

StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 10:14:14

Today an overland trip on Das weiße Straßenschiff to Bad Neustadt an der Saale.

LINK > Bad Neustadt an der Saale

eGJ Thu 04-Aug-22 19:31:31

Bad Neustadt has kneipp walking in the park. It is therapeutic and fun for all ages. Is there time for it today?

www.frankentourismus.de/poi/kneipptretbecken_in_der_luitpo-37533/

StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 20:53:13

eGJ

Bad Neustadt has kneipp walking in the park. It is therapeutic and fun for all ages. Is there time for it today?

www.frankentourismus.de/poi/kneipptretbecken_in_der_luitpo-37533/

What is kneipp walking in the park please?

I followed the link, got the English version, but I don't understand what you are suggesting.

eGJ Thu 04-Aug-22 21:03:22

I’m suggesting we give it a go StarDreamer. We have dined and been to museums, so why not take off our shoes and socks and give our limbs the benefit of walking in the water and experience the German Kneipp water therapy. Free and open to all!

StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 21:10:23

Oh, is it walking in the spa water? I didn't realise.

Yes, we can do that.