Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main

(338 Posts)
StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 22:04:27

The suggested format is that this is a discussion thread about the places along the route, links allowed in moderation, any food mentioned is vegan. Sort of like a treasure hunt for information, yet no teams, people sharing what they find.

eGJ Thu 04-Aug-22 21:11:16

Rest in the shade of a tree on a sunny day, enjoy nature and do a lot for your health. It's easy to do in the Luitpoldaue in Bad Neustadt.

To stay healthy, all you have to do is roll up your pants, take off your shoes and stockings, and step carefully into the cold water. Handrails are available for those of unsteady step. The stork walk through the water stimulates the circulation and, according to Kneipp, strengthens the veins, helps against varicose veins, hot legs, migraines, strengthens the immune system, stimulates the metabolism and has an overall vegetatively stabilizing effect.

After the rounds, stretch out your legs on one of the benches, wipe off excess water with your hands, do foot exercises and use the other activities in the Aue.

The Kneipp pool in the Luitpoldaue is a place for the whole family. In addition to refreshing relaxation, there is a barefoot feel-good path in the shape of a foot and a buzzing stone for a special listening experience. The really brave even close their eyes to feel the unfamiliar underground. The walk along the barefoot path after treading water is the perfect supplement for your own well-being.

Two outdoor devices for moving the entire leg and upper body - especially the shoulders - round off the range of health and well-being options in the Luitpoldaue.

StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 21:40:25

I did not follow what the word Kneipp was about.

I have now found that it is the surname of someone.

LINK > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Kneipp

Sebastian Kneipp

eGJ Thu 04-Aug-22 21:50:23

Looks like fun, particularly on a warm afternoon!

MawtheMerrier Fri 05-Aug-22 09:18:50

Just a friendly warning that the Goldener Delfin crew may need you to get out and push if conditions continue!

GERMANY’S Rhine is on the brink of closing – threatening the ouput of one of the country’s biggest gas companies.

Low water levels around chokepoints amid drought on the Continent mean barges must take smaller loads, and passage may soon be impossible
A friend was recently flown home early after they had to disembark at Passau after a Danube cruise starting in Budapest.
Water levels across Europe are causing headaches- including as I understand it, the Main, Danube, and , the Rhône.

StarDreamer Fri 05-Aug-22 10:00:57

Fortunately our virtual river Main has plenty of water.

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 12:45:31

So, onto Das weiße Straßenschiff for our overland trip from Bad Neustadt an der Saale back to Schweinfurt and to go back aboard Der Goldene Delfin.

LINK > Map of the route from Bad Neustadt an der Saale to Schweinfurt

Then Der Goldene Delfin can continue on the river cruise by travelling from Schweinfurt to Haßfurt.

LINK > Map

LINK > Haßfurt

eGJ Sat 06-Aug-22 13:15:10

Wow StarDreamer you’ve hit the jackpot again. This looks like a good event!
hassfurt-einfach-schoen.de/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Flyer_Marktplatzfest_Online-2022-106-%c3%97-212-mm.pdf
The historic market square in the middle of the old town is the "living room" of Hassfurt. At the beginning of August, this square becomes the scene of its own festival: At the market square festival , a special atmosphere is created by stylish lighting and loving decoration. In addition to musical entertainment , guests can also look forward to culinary pampering moments .
The market square festival begins on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. with the official opening by First Mayor Günther Werner. The Saturday of Indulgence takes place on the market square in the morning , from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. with the Rossinis. Come by and use the morning for shopping at the weekly market or a stroll through theDowntown shops . There is definitely something for everyone here!

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 14:15:38

This evening!

Bear in mind continental time is one hour ahead of UK time.

I wonder if it is online in any way.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Aug-22 23:32:56

Hello hello.
Sorry I've been missing.
The usual reasons.
I'm happy to have a blanket thrown over me and huddle up and watch, though
smile

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 23:37:25

You are very welcome.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 01:25:00

smile
Thank you, and to eGj too.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 10:02:38

I have saved a copy of that PDF (Portable Document Format) document to my computer in case it gets deleted after the event takes place.

eGJ Sun 07-Aug-22 10:33:27

Don’t forget MissA and StarDreamer the youth brass band are playing now as a warm up to the main Marketplace Festival
Hassfurt
07.08.2022 | 12:00 - 22:00
The pleasure Sunday takes place on Sunday at the same place. The city of Haßfurt invites all citizens and guests from near and far to spend cozy hours with live music and culinary delights in a stylish ambience.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 20:51:43

After a pleasant day in Haßfurt, tomorrow morning Der Goldene Delfin is due to travel from Haßfurt to Bamberg.

The journey is about 25 miles.

Here is a link that shows a map. The illustrations are for train journeys and for road journeys, not river journeys.

LINK > The route from Haßfurt to Bamberg

However, the river Main is shown on the map.

eGJ Sun 07-Aug-22 20:55:28

Travelling from wine to beer along the Main!
Bamberg is known for its special beer and many local breweries and beer gardens. The most famous of Bamberg's breweries is the historic smoked beer brewery, Schlenkerla. This 6th-generation family brewery has been quenching thirst since 1405 and still taps beer the old-world way – from wooden barrels.

StarDreamer Mon 08-Aug-22 08:47:38

Der Goldene Delfin has now departed from from Haßfurt and is proceeding along the river Main to Bamberg.

LINK > Bamberg

StarDreamer Mon 08-Aug-22 11:40:53

Der Goldene Delfin has now arrived in Bamberg.

LINK > BAMBERGWalking in BAMBERG / Germany ??- Cathedral to City Center -(43 minutes 59 seconds)

A POPtravel video.

Filmed n July 2021.

StarDreamer Mon 08-Aug-22 11:55:20

LINK > Walking in BAMBERG / Germany ?? (1 hour exactly)

A POPtravel video

Filmed in October 2020.

StarDreamer Mon 08-Aug-22 12:01:29

LINK > Bamberg cathedral, Bavaria, Germany (7 minutes 21 seconds)

StarDreamer Mon 08-Aug-22 23:22:09

This thread did not get into the active list before, so I am trying again now.

StarDreamer Tue 09-Aug-22 22:13:38

An overland trip on Das weiße Straßenschiff to Bayreuth today.

LINK > The route from Bamberg to Bayreuth

StarDreamer Tue 09-Aug-22 22:17:03

LINK > Bayreuth

LINK > Walking in BAYREUTH / Germany ?? (34 minutes 59 seconds)

StarDreamer Thu 25-Aug-22 20:03:18

Der Goldene Delfin has now journeyed some way along the canal that links the Main to the Danube and is moored near Nuremberg, to where we have travelled overland and now enjoy an evening walk.

LINK > Walking in NUREMBERG / Germany - An Evening in the Old Town (1 hour 1 minute 22 seconds)

Now those are interesting. What are they about?

Readers might like to delay clicking the link below until at least two and a half minutes into the walk so as to first enjoy observing without knowing the answer.

LINK > The explanation

MissAdventure Thu 25-Aug-22 22:23:09

smile
Watching now.

StarDreamer Thu 25-Aug-22 23:17:33

LINK > Rhine–Main–Danube Canal