Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Monday 27th August weigh-in

(52 Posts)
Notsogrand Sun 26-Aug-12 21:21:08

Happy Bank Holiday! Glass is away this week, but said she will still be keeping an eye on us.
Good luck everyone for this week!

AlisonMA Tue 28-Aug-12 10:05:59

Tried to talk DH into MFP but he said 'I can't be going to the computer every 5 minutes'. He clearly didn't understand when I laughed!

Greatnan Tue 28-Aug-12 11:00:28

Does anybody else suffer from loose skin after losing weight? I have only lost two stone, so it is not hanging down in great folds like those poor people who have surgery and lose about 10 stone,but it just looks as if I am wearing a size 18 skin on a size 14 body - which, of course, I am. I think when you are younger your skin might taughten again, but I have wrinkles on my thighs and my arms which would have upset me 15 years ago. As I feel so much fitter and don't care about my appearance, it doesn't matter, but I know most of you do still care. I didn't lose it particularly quickly, it took nearly two years to go from 11st. 13 lbs. to 10 stone.
In spite of the fact that I am doing just as much walking and still eating sensibly, my weight loss seems to have come to a halt . On one day my weight was 9st. 10 lbs. but that was after a very long, steep walk and I think it was just dehydration. I am quite happy at 10 stone as my BMI is now well within normal limits but I am going to make sure I don't let my weight creep up again. The difference losing even this amount of weight has made to my knees and bp is amazing.
I used to be just over 5' 6" but I am now about 5' 5" and I expect I will lose more height which affects the BMI.

annodomini Tue 28-Aug-12 11:22:26

I once read that vitamin E helps to maintain (restore?) the skin's elasticity, but don't know if it's true. Anyone know?

jeni Tue 28-Aug-12 12:12:22

The BMI should be on your original height!

annodomini Tue 28-Aug-12 12:24:51

Oh that's a relief. I seem to have lost about 2 inches. grin

Notsogrand Tue 28-Aug-12 13:31:52

susieb - great that you're still under target. Hope you enjoyed the chocolate that you lusted for!

GrannyH - don't be too disappointed at staying the same, it means that you're maintaining previous efforts. That jelly sounds delicious...did it have an alcohol content listed? grin

Merlot - welcome on board! You'll find lots of support here to help towards a slimmer and healthier you! smile

Sook - it is frustrating to keep bobbing around at the same weight. (I've been doing that since April) Maybe Glass will have some ideas when she gets back about kick-starting your body into losing again. Keep smiling though smile

Good news that you're keeping under your target weight Yoga. The Horizon diet sounds really interesting and it must help to have DH doing it too. I'd read that the intermittant fasting increases a sense of well-being, are you experiencing that?

Love your positive outlook Sbagran! Attagirl!!

Almost 3lbs GrannyK! That's brilliant, well done you! MFP is really helpful isn't it? Keep going smile

Greatnan - I have some saggy skin as a result of weight loss but I can live with it. You have done so well to maintain your weight loss and stay so fit!

Everyone is making a huge effort so flowers all round ladies!

Greatnan Tue 28-Aug-12 13:36:44

jeni - I hoped that was the case - I will recalculate it! It did occur to me that my long bones would not have shrunk!

jeni Tue 28-Aug-12 13:40:10

No it's the spine which compresses and curves!

Greatnan Tue 28-Aug-12 14:06:55

Great - BMI is now 22.5.

jeni Tue 28-Aug-12 14:55:23

Normal!

annodomini Tue 28-Aug-12 14:59:06

Well, I'm certainly not telling you what mine is, Greatnan. hmm

Notsogrand Tue 28-Aug-12 16:18:45

My current target is to move from obese to overweight on the BMI index. I will be so happy when I'm finally overweight!

Notsogrand Tue 28-Aug-12 16:20:47

Laugh, I've been looking at the lovely photos from the Glasgow meet-up. I hope someone brings a wide angle lens to the South-East meet up that I'm going to! grin

AlisonMA Tue 28-Aug-12 17:24:44

I've just come back from my induction for the 6 week course at the gym and I'm taller than I've ver been! Maybe its the pilates? The extra hight improves the BMI too. Now all I have to do is keep going to the gym most days!

Apparently my basal calorie usage is 1160 so why am I not losing lots of weight?

Notsogrand Wed 29-Aug-12 07:41:25

I'm off to see my sister in Milton Keynes for a couple of days. We have a varied itinerary......Ikea, theatre trip, master class in E-Baying. smile

Over-indulgence wont be a concern though. My sister lost several stones about 30 odd years ago and has kept it off by eating very healthily and carefully ever since, so she'll be very supportive of my current efforts.

I think she's even discovered a low calorie wine......? grin

AlisonMA Wed 29-Aug-12 13:40:04

Just come back from my first gym session and read what they say I must eat each day. If I did I would be HUGE!

Sbagran Wed 29-Aug-12 20:13:15

Alison I feel like that with MFP most days - I type in what I have eaten, and what I propose to eat, and it says I have loads of calories left!
Do try and eat near-enough the required amounts though as it has worked with me and you will need extra 'fuel' to carry out the extra exercise!
I really hope it works for you - I am 'between gyms' at the moment due to distance and inability to get to the one where I was a member. I am trying to sort out an alternative place though as I really enjoyed it most of the time (she says convincingly!) hmm
Good luck!
By the way - remember our pact? Have you been good this week so far? I have! (angel emoticon!)

Notsogrand Fri 31-Aug-12 16:03:05

Confession time. Had a great couple of days with my sister, but during the interval of Guys & Dolls at Milton Keynes Theatre, we both had a tub of honey and ginger ice cream blush

AlisonMA Fri 31-Aug-12 16:22:14

sba I have not been tooooo bad but last night at the theatre I had a vodka and slimline and then an ice cream! That took me to 41 calories above my 1100. Ashamed emoticon.

This weekend the whole family are coming, starting tonight and finishing on Monday so I will be verrrrrrrrrrrrry tempted. The worst thing will be the apple crumble DiL1 loves so I am making it for her but I love it to! Can ignore the roasties and the yorkies but love the crumble. I promise to try hard sba keep sending me 'be good' vibes please.

I can't even go to the gym while they are here so hope chasing GS around the garden will help.

Sbagran Fri 31-Aug-12 19:53:44

Special message to AlisonMA
'BE GOOD VIBES' and 'BE GOOD VIBES' and more 'BE GOOD VIBES' grin
Don't forget you can have sensible amounts and stay within boundaries. Are you remembering to type in the exercise you are doing as you get an extra calorie allowance for whatever exercise you do smile

Ella46 Fri 31-Aug-12 20:09:38

I think glass will probably expel me soon, I've just eaten an entire bag of chocolate covered raisins. blush shock

I am deeply ashamed and feel slightly sick!

Vonnie Fri 31-Aug-12 23:13:14

Do you mind if I join you all on this thread ?

Our DS1 is getting married on 10th November and I have to lose 2 stone.

I managed to lose 4 stone a couple of years ago, but have piled 2 stone back on again.

I`m starting my healthy eating tomorrow, and will be writing down everything that I eat and drink.

Notsogrand Sat 01-Sep-12 08:10:09

Vonnie, lovely to have you with us. Lots of support here to get you towards your November target. Glassortwo is the driving force and inspiration for this thread and she should be back next week after her holiday. In the meantime, have you come across My Fitness Pal? www.myfitnesspal.com/
Lots of us are finding it helps to keep focused on eating the right foods. Instead of writing everything down, you just enter it into your MFP page once you've registered/set up. Good luck with your first weekend of eating healthily again! smile

AlisonMA - have a great weekend but ~Be Good~ and step away from the crumble! grin (Do those wavy lines look like vibes?

Ella46 - hope you're feeling OK after your splurge yesterday. At least the raisins can be classed as fruit.smile

Ella46 Sat 01-Sep-12 08:21:16

blush angry [podgy emoticon]

Notsogrand Sat 01-Sep-12 08:38:20

Deep breaths Ella46, we've all been there. Today's a fresh day, so have a lovely chocolate raisin free weekend! smile