Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Why I love the 5:2 diet

(225 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Apr-13 07:44:35

Once Victoria Williams tried intermittent fasting she found that - for her at least - it was the perfect way to lose those extra pounds.

In her guest blog post she reveals how and why it works for her.

Does it work for you too? Is it something you're thinking about trying? Here's the place to let us know smile

Tegan Mon 29-Apr-13 17:26:38

dawn; that is a brilliant idea especially as I've never been a breakfast eater. It means that I can get back from work on a Tuesday at about midday and not eat till the following day which is my day off and I can have a lie in that morning. Hopefully it can kick start the week for me. No matter how hard I try I get back from work late afternoon and scoff just about anything that isn't screwed down.

sunseeker Mon 29-Apr-13 18:06:25

Have been on this for about a week and have lost 3lbs. I thought the weekend would have scuppered it but found that although I was eating "normally" I wasn't so keen to attack the crisps!! I haven't managed to stick to 500 cals on the fast days - usually around 650 but will keep trying!

MrsJamJam Mon 29-Apr-13 18:11:52

Whatever you do, don't try to read a recipe magazine during the fast day!

janthea Tue 30-Apr-13 11:56:03

I'm starting today. So far I've had some porridge and a cup of tea for breakfast (260 cals) and I have some thin sliced ham and a boiled egg for lunch (127 cals) Total - 387 cals. I therefore have 100 cals to play around with when I get home from work. May another egg!! If I don't eat my desk first!

I think I may try to miss breakfast on my next fast day and see how that goes with having lunch and dinner.

Gally Tue 30-Apr-13 12:10:51

I measured myself today first time since 8 April - 1 3/4 inches off neck, 2 inches off waist, BMI down 2 and lost 1 stone since mid February. IT WORKS grin. TG it's a normal day today - I can celebrate with an extra lettuce leaf......

MrsJamJam Tue 30-Apr-13 17:32:56

I managed to achieve my first fast day yesterday which was tough at the time, but I am pleasantly surprised to find that I have no urge to eat more than usual today. Next fast day is Thursday which will be tough as OH will be away and on my own I do tend to get the boredom munchies. I've got to think up masses of activities, but at least I feel that if I have done one day, I must be able to do another.

Please keep posting success stories, they are so good for spurring me on!

Marelli Tue 30-Apr-13 21:45:42

I've been on the 5:2 diet since first week in April and by third week had lost just under 5 pounds. The first fasting day was really quite hard and before bed, I went for a bath, to take my mind off food. This wasn't a good idea, as when I got out of the bath I really did feel quite faint! However, the next fasting day went much more easily. I didn't eat until lunchtime, when I had something like a low calorie soup and a couple of Ryvitas with Marmite. Dinner was 100gm chicken breast and salad, and some low sugar jelly. I've more or less stuck to this menu for fasting days, and am finding it so much easier now. Sometimes a l have a salad with a little tin of tuna (from the discount supermarket beginning with 'A' wink) These little tins have about 98 cals in them and have all sorts of flavours like lemon, blackpepper, sun-dried tomato etc.
I've just come back from a short holiday, and I've eaten an AWFUL lot of chocolate....shock, and haven't fasted at all, obviously! However, tomorrow I'll begin again. I find that fasting on two weekdays works best for me - such as a Monday and a Thursday. This week it will just have to be Wednesday and Sunday, though. It really does work and I think it's because I don't have to deny myself anything for more than a day at a time, twice a week. Remember though - plenty of fluids!!

Tegan Tue 30-Apr-13 21:58:37

I'm surprised that a supermarket hasn't come up with a 500cal 'meals for a day' package.

Marelli Tue 30-Apr-13 23:11:08

I know, Tegan - they're very slow on the up-take! Probably easier to work out our own menus though. That way we won't be introducing more salt or sugars that are often in packaged foods.

laidback Tue 30-Apr-13 23:18:22

I've read the blog and your comments. I can't be bothered to read a book about it though. In summary is it - 2 non consecutive days in every 7 you eat only 500cals but on the other 5 days eat normally? I would'nt mind shifting 7lbs, the sun came out today!!smile

annodomini Tue 30-Apr-13 23:25:26

I've ordered a book from Amazon - The 5:2 Diet: Single-Serving Vegetarian Recipes. When I've tested it I will let you know if it's worth acquiring.

That's about it, laidback, but I've been doing three out of seven days to kick start my weight loss. So far it's been successful.

Flowerofthewest Tue 30-Apr-13 23:29:37

It is Laidback, I have been doing this 5:2 but ate at breakfast the next day. I have since been advised for health reasons to do it this way:

Day before you start 'fasting' have last meal around 10pm then on waking just drink clear fluids ie water, black tea/coffee you have 500 cals to eat this day. Have them from around lunchtime through to dinner time either in one or two 'meals' then do not eat until mid afternoon the following day. The idea is that 36 hours -ish fasting is what the body needs for the health benefits. If it is only to lose weight then I would end the 'fast' breakfast time the following day. I do find it hard at the moment but will continue.

laidback Tue 30-Apr-13 23:38:39

Thank you, I think I will give it a go this week before the summer is over!! I'll try thursday n saturday as the fast day.smile

shysal Wed 01-May-13 08:33:43

Tegan Lidl sells frozen herb and butter haddock fillets at only 170 cals each. I always have some in the freezer for fast days. M&S also do some chilled meals-for-one, also at 170 cals, to which I add a plate full of vegetables. It then feels like a proper meal.
It is great to hear all these success stories!

annodomini Wed 01-May-13 09:19:18

I can't go without breakfast. This goes back to my first pregnancy, 43 years ago, when I passed out after skipping breakfast. Of course I am not pregnant now, but whether the need is psychological or physiological, I never now take the risk of going without. However, on 'fast' days, I have only 10 grams of an oat cereal with two tablespoons of home-made unsweetened, low fat apricot yogurt. I have to eat with my steroid tablets anyway.

LullyDully Wed 01-May-13 10:03:21

I have ordered the books, they haven't arrived yet. Can I just start without by eating 500 calories for 2 non consecutive day?

Gally Wed 01-May-13 10:10:59

Good heavens Flower that's a long fast - but whatever floats your boat grin! I have just been going through the 'bible' by Michael Mosely (which I would definitely recommend to laidback) and he doesn't appear to advocate a 36 hour fast. He has breakfast and dinner thus achieving 2x 12 hour fasts but recommends that individuals do whatever is realistic and sustainable for them; I sometimes do the same but mostly I have dinner one night and go until lunch the following day which is about 18 hours. Any more and I would be a quivering wreck.

annodomini Wed 01-May-13 11:10:48

Why not, Lully? The books will tell you a lot about the evidence for the diet's efficacy but the bare bones of it is 500 calories for 2 non-consecutive days. I do have a small breakfast, a mug of bouillon for lunch and a cottage cheese or salmon salad for my evening meal. On non fast days, I don't go overboard - except when I have lunch with senior GD - using recipes from my Weightwatchers veggie cook book.

Tegan Wed 01-May-13 11:16:45

I think I use up 500 cals just in milk for my tea and coffee sad. May buy some powdered skimmed milk and just use a teaspoon of it in each cup [can't drink it black] which will limit the calories. I have to do something as my weight gain is getting out of control and I have to rein it in. Think I'll stickwith the midday till midday as it takes away the thought of waking up in the morning and having the prospect of not much to eat that day away [and also fits in with my day off].

GrandmaH Wed 01-May-13 11:56:52

I know I bang on about how great this way of eating is but it really IS!!
I have lost over a stone- stopped weighing myself now & going by clothes feeling looser as I seemed to put some on when not fasting but then it came off with a bit more too after fast days.
The first day was hard- if I remember rightly- but now I don't even think about it. The weird thing is you don't feel hungry the day AFTER. My portions of food on all the other days have gone down without me doing it deliberately- I just can't manage so much food now & believe me I can EAT.
I feel more 'alive' on fast days if that makes sense- I'm sure I have more energy then too. I sometimes do an extra half day on a Friday when I stick to about 400 cals but have wine with DH in the evening- well it is nearly the weekend after all! I find the days I work are easier as not in the kitchen all the time & I do still cook normally for DH on my fast days but I am hoping he will join me soon- he keeps promising he will.
I am eating a lot of fish!(shock)

LullyDully Wed 01-May-13 17:59:40

thanks Annodomini ...next week then, off I go.

sunflowersuffolk Thu 02-May-13 08:10:18

I'm going to have another go - you've all inspired me to try again. Did it for a couple of weeks quite well, then stayed with sister and stopped. I'm on holiday in 2 weeks so if I could just feel a little lighter would be great, to get up all the Cornish hills. I want to feel more energised and healthy.

I'm off work today and have loads of jobs to do to try and keep my mind off it. Last time I found water so important, I keep a bottle of iced water in fridge. It filled me up, and your body needs hydration.

This morning I've just had hot lemon, will try and go until 2pm with just water. For lunch may have a grapefruit and some cottage cheese and salad.

For dinner - maybe an omlette and tomatoes. Last time I also enjoyed the Marigold bouillon as a drink like a clear vegetable soup, very low cal and satisfying.

Great to hear all your success stories. good luck.

jefm Sat 04-May-13 10:25:34

Treat with caution. If you have tendencies towards anorexia or any other kind of medical condition talk to your doctor before doing this. Please don't encourage teenage girls to diet this way. Despite Micheal Mosley and a few studies in the US if you google this type of dieting you will find there are no long term clinical studies that prove it's supposed benefits. My partner who is perfectly fit tried it for 3 weeks, he is the most optimistic man you have ever met yet he was terribly down and so tired. He found it difficult to function properly. Have look at effects on mortality etc. My mother who died 4 years ago at 80 had a both hips replaced at 38, she was put onto drastic low cal diets in those days and consequently had to diet and eat tiny amounts of food all her life as her metabolic rate was so low. I am afraid as difficult as it may be for everyone, eating the right foods in smaller quantities and exercising is the only really healthy way to lose weight and stay slim. I am 62 , go to the gym and look good. Why do we always want a quick fix?

Tegan Sat 04-May-13 10:49:20

Because some of us have mobility problems and it's difficult to lose weight when you can't burn up the calories [combined with the post menopause ability to gain weight by even so much as looking at a biscuit sad]. But I see where you're coming from re young girls jefm. I've had borderline eating problems all of my adult life, food always being 'the enemy' from the age of @ 16 and found the only way to keep weight off was to drink lots of water and go jogging; but that's when the knees went and I couldn't get the exercise any more. I can see where the 'I'll do a 500cal day today' turns into 'wow; look how much weight I've lost in one day..I'll just do it for another day' etc. Dangerous slippery slope.

Maggiemaybe Sun 05-May-13 16:15:45

I can see that there could be problems with people who have tendencies to eating disorders, but my main reason for doing the 5:2 is the health benefit.

I've been on it for 6 months now, losing weight steadily at first, but now just maintaining the weight I'm happy at (10 pounds lighter). This means I can indulge myself on my 5 days - I love my food and drink, so that's not difficult! I'm not saying that I have an unhealthy diet, but I certainly don't deny myself.

I've found it easier to have nothing but a cup or two of bouillon and lots of fizzy water till evening, then to have an decent meal with the 450 or so calories I have left. For some reason I don't feel so hungry this way - 3 tiny meals was more difficult for me.

I had my blood pressure taken at my Biobank check a few weeks ago and the doctor rechecked it as it was down to 118 - for a few years before I started the 5:2, it was consistently around 136, even when I was lighter and doing more exercise (I had to stop running because of back problems). My lovely mum had HBP despite a very healthy lifestyle and died far too young following a sudden massive stroke. That's enough incentive for me to keep going.