Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Why I love the 5:2 diet

(224 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Apr-13 07:44:35

Once Victoria Williams tried intermittent fasting she found that - for her at least - it was the perfect way to lose those extra pounds.

In her guest blog post she reveals how and why it works for her.

Does it work for you too? Is it something you're thinking about trying? Here's the place to let us know smile

janthea Thu 25-Apr-13 14:20:58

I keep trying to do this, but finding it hard to survive on just 500 calories. Even the lightest of meals seem more than that. sad

gracesmum Thu 25-Apr-13 15:05:59

With you on that janthea - the flesh is exceedingly weak in my case.....

J52 Thu 25-Apr-13 16:47:39

Easiest diet ever. Started last August, now just a couple of Kilos away from goal weight having lost nearly 3 st. DH has gone along in support, but eaten more on fast days, as he really did not need to lose weight. Have plateaued now, but not really bothered as this is a lifestyle way of eating and as I have dropped 2 dress sizes. Whoopee! The weight loss is slow, but builds up. It helped to plan food for 500cal days and to record wight loss, to see the downward trend. Good luck to all those on the diet.

sunseeker Thu 25-Apr-13 16:53:26

Started this diet today - have quite a bit to lose so hope it works!

Gally Thu 25-Apr-13 17:04:37

I started mid February but then went to Oz for 5 weeks where I ate sensibly but didn't do the 2:5 thing. Back on it for nearly 3 weeks and have managed to lose over half a stone since Feb. I wore a skirt on monday which hadn't fitted for a long time so pretty pleased with myself. Being able to do that has made me even more determined to persevere although I don't have a particular goal in mind.

Garygran Thu 25-Apr-13 17:28:03

I have the all too familiar 7-10 lbs to lose. Started this on 16th & have lost 4lbs so far. I'm finding it pretty easy, especially now the weather's warmed up a bit & have not been tempted to snack. I know only too well that it's not what's on my plate that makes me put on weight but what never makes it that far! I only have 1 meal a day, in the evening, which obviously wouldn't work for everyone but it does for me. I shall be off to enjoy my 500cals very soon & that makes quite a reasonable evening meal

Forzanonna Thu 25-Apr-13 20:22:15

I think it's the best diet ever. I've been doing it since end of Feb and have lost 10lbs, another 3 or 4 to go and I'm happy. I don't find the fasting days too difficult. I find it easier if I don't eat at all till dinner time and then have most of my 500cals together. Had a week off and a couple of weeks have just been able to do one fasting day - but it doesn't feel like I've fallen off track like it usually does when you "cheat" on a diet. grin

shysal Thu 25-Apr-13 21:03:16

I expect some people are tired of seeing me banging on about how great intermittent fasting is. Alternate day fasting has worked well for me. I have lost 2.5 stone whilst, for the first time in many years, really enjoying tasty food on eating days with no guilt. I have plateaued now and shall continue for maintenance and the health benefits.

Tegan Thu 25-Apr-13 21:59:48

I really want to do this diet but feel that I'd need to plan for a 500cal day, mainly by keeping busy or chilling out. Does anyone do it when they're working?

dallas Thu 25-Apr-13 22:58:16

I have rheumatoid arthritis and take medication which means a blood test once a month since starting the 5.2 diet (is this a diet or a way of life?) My bloods have much improved my RA is less painful and my Blood Preasure has returned to normal. Oh yes and I have also lost 10lbs since February. To me it's win win. Some fast days can be difficult, but I have found it does get easier as the weeks are passing, I sooo look forward to my breakfast the day after a fast day though!

nonnanna Fri 26-Apr-13 06:53:12

There's some amazing results and health benefits here. It sounds like this really works. I'm going to have a go. Do you think it's because our bodies were originally programmed to be hunter gatherers? If we caught it or gathered it we ate but sometimes we didn't have anything. Hope that makes sense, I think I've confused myself now.

Flowerofthewest Fri 26-Apr-13 10:34:58

Have fallen off the wagon, must get back on.

janthea Fri 26-Apr-13 12:58:02

I work full time and find it quite hard to survive on 500 calories. Any suggestions ladies?

It would mean either eating at lunch and then nothing until breakfast the next day or should I eat a little porridge and then nothing until the evening. Decisions, decisions.

I do need to lose about 7lbs. I actually managed to lose 2 stones for my daughters wedding a couple of years ago by cutting out bread, biscuits, cakes, sweets and pototoes for about 4 months. Very hard. I have kept the weight off but seem to be stuck at my present weight.

Tegan Fri 26-Apr-13 13:10:00

I've long been interested in ayurvedic medicine; it advocates fasting [especially if someone has high blood pressure],and has special fasting soups and teas that can be made. I stuck to a diet regime for ages and never felt better in my life but with working long hours and looking after the grandchildren etc etc I ended up on the slippery slope of eating comfort food and bread and piled on weight [just as I reached an age where it would be even more dificult to lose it]. I know Gillian McKeefe [sp] was discredited but she talked an awful lot of sense when it came to dieting/healthy eating.

Gally Fri 26-Apr-13 14:04:26

I try to divide my 500 cals between lunch and dinner missing out breakfast, therefore going from dinner one night to lunch the next day - around 18 hours. I only manage it as I know the next day I can eat normally - phew wink

annodomini Fri 26-Apr-13 14:52:03

My trousers are feeling a little bit baggy round the behind. It's a non-fast day but I'm not going overboard. Half a stone has gone since I started a fortnight ago.

loneranger Fri 26-Apr-13 15:02:39

I am amazed that this dieting fad has become popular. I like lots of people have IBS and its not unusual for me, having emptied all my body contents, not to eat for 2 days to get over it, yes I do lose weight but some put it back on again. If only I had the choice.

Forzanonna Fri 26-Apr-13 19:15:39

When I started the fast diet I had grapefruit for breakfast and low cal cup soups with ryvita at lunchtime. I find now that if I don't eat anything for breakfast I don't get hungry so quickly confused, I have Miso soup for lunch (18 cals) and then can have the best part of my 500 cals for dinner. I'm not really into cooking on fast days, so usually have omelette or tuna or sardines all with veg or salad. I work full time and usually go swimming on a fast day. Today's not a fast day wine

MrsJamJam Sun 28-Apr-13 19:42:30

Right, I've read the book, been havering about this ever since seeing the horizon programme last year, but have finally decided that I start my first fast day tomorrow! Now ihave told you all there can be no going back. DH and I have been using the hairy dieters book a lot in recent months, he has lost weight but I haven't lost an ounce. I think the wine may have something to do with it.

dawn1gel Sun 28-Apr-13 20:02:26

Try Starting after Lunch on the first day and then overnight, finishing with a light lunch the next day. Because you are sleeping for several hours it will be easier.It still works doing this.

annodomini Sun 28-Apr-13 20:10:24

Good luck, Mrs JJ. I have now lost 8 lbs in just over a fortnight. Today has been a non-fast day and I took my senior GD to lunch at an Italian restaurant which has small portions as well as normal, so while she tucked into a huge pizza, I had a small helping of gnocchi and enjoyed it very much. A fast day makes you appreciate your food on a normal day.

trendygran Sun 28-Apr-13 20:57:03

What a great idea dawn1gel. I shall try that from tomorrow and see how it goes . Now have several 500 cal recipe plans to help----I hope!

MrsJamJam Mon 29-Apr-13 15:55:20

Doing well so far, only 150 calories in total up to now so can have one of the crab cakes OH is making for supper. Only 6 or so hours until bedtime, must admit I am already fantasising about eating food tomorrow. 8lbs lost in a few weeks is the story thatnis keeping me motivated.

How is anyone else doing?

Gally Mon 29-Apr-13 16:48:57

Doing ok. Missed breakfast and kept busy all morning; 2 boiled eggs and a tiny satsuma at lunchtime and now looking forward to salmon and veggies for dinner - can't wait - my tummy is rumbling at the very thought of food shock The fact that I am actually losing weight spurs me on and it's only purgatory for 2 days a week!