Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Evenings......

(42 Posts)
squaredog Tue 03-Dec-13 15:47:22

If I didn't have 'evenings', do you know, I'd be as thin as a the proverbial. I'd never need to diet.

The closer it gets to, say, around 8.30, my resolve 's we'll and truly GONE!

Anyone else of this ilke?

More importantly, what's the answer?

TAB12 Sat 22-Mar-14 09:26:39

Grannyk having that attitude is what allowed me to loose a stone in weight, its about looking forward to meals and not eating everytime one thinks of food smile

squaredog Sat 22-Mar-14 10:35:40

Yes, it's up to me to practice self control, Jade2.

Silly me!

rosesarered Sat 22-Mar-14 10:42:54

It's true! The 'watershed' is not only for tv it's for diets. After 9.30 ish I keep thinking about food [and the Wensleydale with cranberries calls to me.] I usually have a cup of tea at that point. However it gets really bad by 10.30 and the later you go to bed the worse it's going to get.Luckily I am happy to trot off to bed by then as I sleep well [and rarely suface before 8 a m.] That's not to say that the Wensleydale never wins [it won last night!]But I don't give up without a fight.Sometimes the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes win too. smile

chloe1984 Sat 22-Mar-14 11:34:28

Squaredog wish I could help or suggest a solution but thought this might make you laugh instead. I cut up a low calorie cereal bar into tiny tiny pieces and have it with a coffee around 8.30 pm I make every crumb last and pretend its a mars bar or a bar of fruit and nut chocolate (who am I kidding) sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. However overall I think I win. But please enjoy this from mebrew you will have to supply your own cereal bar smile

squaredog Sat 22-Mar-14 12:28:09

Cereals.....mmmm...now you're talking. And cheese!

Thank you Chloe. Not sure I've got self control where food is concerned. If they come in packs of 6, or buy 2 get 1 free, ha even better, gone in one.

Oh dear......

petallus Sat 22-Mar-14 15:06:53

Yes, I get a great urge to eat continually throughout the evening, even when I've had a substantial meal for supper.

Cleaning the teeth is good, I agree.

rockgran Sat 22-Mar-14 17:27:25

I've managed to lose 10 pounds on the 5:2 diet since Christmas but the nine o'clock munchies are unavoidable. I have therefore allowed myself three rich tea biscuits every evening at bedtime- fast day or not - because they stop me hoovering up everything else. I think it pays in the long run to accept you have a craving and work around it otherwise you give up eventually. I have never managed to keep to 500 calories on a fast day but still the weight is coming off so I must be doing something right! cupcake

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 17:35:51

I took up knitting again, if I'm not in the mood for following a pattern I knit squares for charity. It does help stop the munchies. Well, not altogether, but mostly.

Or crochet, or something to keep hands and brain a bit busy.

ninathenana Sat 22-Mar-14 18:21:36

I blame DH he can get away with eating toast every night for supper about 9.30ish. How the heck do I resist when he calls from the kitchen 'What can I get you darling?'

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 18:28:39

"An apple would be lovely darling"!
But not as lovely as toast, or cheese and biscuits, or choc chip cookies ...

bookdreamer Sat 22-Mar-14 18:47:13

Boiled sweets are the answer. No calories, well hardly any. I gave up smoking in October and they also help with that.

bookdreamer Sat 22-Mar-14 18:47:51

Meant to say, no weight gain either!

Grannyknot Sat 22-Mar-14 18:51:20

I also knit, maybe that does help smile

storynanny Sat 22-Mar-14 20:07:41

I have also been trying a cup of hot marmite drink. It sort of helps.
I have been trying to lose the same 1 and a half stone ever since last son was born 22 years ago. I have just got new scales- sadly they appear to weigh me as another half stone more. They might be faulty....

NannaAnna Sat 22-Mar-14 20:22:12

Just don't buy any unhealthy food? I only have ingredients for meals in the fridge, freezer and cupboards … … … Can't snack even if I wanted to!

cookiemonster66 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:09:09

I am the same, the only way I could loose weight was by going to bed around 8pm!