Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Panorama - what the right diet for you.

(14 Posts)
Rowantree Tue 13-Jan-15 16:17:39

Apparently I'm a Constant Craver too, but I KNOW I sometimes eat 'emotionally' or when I'm bored, and like many here, I can also eat sensibly in the daytime and then snarf most of a box of liqueur chocolates left over from Christmas before poor DH has a chance to have any blush
Also crisps and salted popcorn. I get a buzz from secret eating, so I know I need to watch this tendency as I am extremely overweight, but I'm on the 5/2 diet and have been for a year or so. Not losing much weight as I cheat sometimes hmm and my medication makes me put on weight, so I am only losing weight very slowly. I'm not giving up though!

rosequartz Tue 13-Jan-15 14:40:57

If anyone is looking for this programme on the web, I think it was Horizon not Panorama.

Teetime Tue 13-Jan-15 14:30:31

An article in The Times today reported on a piece of research that has been looking at GP consultations with obese and overweight patients and it found that in a large percentage of consultations the GPs did not mention this or offer advice/support. Among the reasons for this it was thought that GP have simply stopped seeing the problem and/or reluctant or embarrassed to broach the subject. In my experience of managing GP contracts what we found was that unless there was a specific payment in the contractual arrangements i.e. QOF, GPs would not bring new subjects into the consultation process i.e. over and above what the patient was seeing them for, even though this may be directly related. I think it would be worth the additional payment if it improved the nations health, reduced hospital admissions and bariatric surgery and reduced the incidence of obesity generally. |Ultimately of course it is the patients' choice but many people would benefit from advice and support.

FlicketyB Tue 13-Jan-15 14:10:11

I did the quiz, like Lona, I didn't fall into any diet category, My BMi was in the healthy range. The advice?
There may be something else about your lifestyle or eating that causes you to be overweight, such as big portions, snacking, high fat foods, too much time sitting down, or lack of exercise.
Except that they had just told me that I wasn't overweight!!

janerowena Tue 13-Jan-15 14:03:18

Another late night 'snacker' here. I am training myself up to realise that each of those snacks is a small meal. Rather than fight it, I have drastically reduced my portions during the day, as often conditioning to eat 'at the right times' kicks in and I eat when I'm not all that hungry. It's working, I am down a size since last September. Still not a good size blush but at least I shan't have to buy the next size up!

I had heard of this eating regime a long time ago, and do try to stick to my group as much as possible. It didn't work for me because of the late night snacking, but I do feel healthier because of it. It also explained why DBH and I have such different tastes in food.

Tegan Tue 13-Jan-15 13:30:52

I'm the same at night, Anya, but I tend to binge eat when tired, so it figures that I'll start to crave food late at night when I'm tired and should really go to bed [but don't].

Lona Tue 13-Jan-15 13:23:04

I didn't see the programme but I answered the test questions. The result said that I didn't fit any category, but I should stop snacking and sitting down, and get more exercise!
I'm still chuckling grin I think they've been looking through my windows!

Anya Tue 13-Jan-15 13:17:30

I didn't watch the programme so don't know the categories. But I can eat very sensibly during the day and then consume my own body weight in chocolate binge when night falls.

Was this one of the categories?

appygran Tue 13-Jan-15 11:03:09

I thought this was an interesting programme and may help some people get their heads around losing weight. Being overweight is a huge problem for many people.

The programme was previewed on Breakfast a few morning ago and the interviewees did point out that most people would not fall into any particular category but would be a combination of two or three of them. I have just done the test and as suspected I am a combination of constant craver and emotional eater. So carry on with my programme, which I worked out with my weight loss group leader, of calorie counting with 2 fasting days a week. It will be interesting to see how the participants get on over the coming weeks.

Respect for the emotional eaters who absailed down Leasowe lighthouse.

NfkDumpling Tue 13-Jan-15 11:01:32

I'm a Constant Craver too. Sooo I'm having another go at the 5:2 diet. Starting this morning. I'm hungry!!!!! - I only managed it until lunchtime last time I tried!

J52 Tue 13-Jan-15 11:00:58

I thought there were a lot of interesting facts, especially about the way an individual's body responds to food.

It would seem that to successfully eat and remain within a healthy weight we have to eat foods that are suited to us individually, whilst also making us feel full and satisfied. Presumably this is why some people remain slender while apparently eating a lot!

I have said this before, so apologies, I have found the 5:2 exactly my kind of eating regime and now eat a diet with a fair amount of protein, vegetables and grains. Not to say I don't enjoy a piece of cake and chocolate occasionally. x

Teetime Tue 13-Jan-15 10:48:06

Apparently I'm a Constant Craver according to the questionnaire so the 5:2 diet is recommended. I'm going to try this but as I am already doing Slimming World I shall do their version of it .

Rowantree Tue 13-Jan-15 10:40:18

I did, and thought there was a lot of padding, though it had some interesting points. I don't think people can be categorised quite like that though - I have elements of all three different types of eaters, so what do I do? Will check the website even so and see what they say!

Teetime Tue 13-Jan-15 10:06:49

Did anyone see this - a good watch I thought I'm going to look up the website and see what kind of eater I am - all three I suspect although less of a feaster these days as I get older definitely cant manage a large portion of anything?