Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

What do you do to keep fit?

(117 Posts)
Heirofthedog Wed 14-Oct-15 12:37:17

I am on a fitness crusade! Well, I'm talking about it anyway. Have signed up to a local yoga class and am hoping I won't be the only one in a baggy tracksuit and not able to touch my toes. What does everyone else do to keep fit? I walk a fair bit (always feel a Sunday roast deserves a pre or post ramble) but that's all. Am def feeling the 'winter layer' settling in but would like to still be fitting into my clothes post Christmas.

eccentric Thu 15-Oct-15 13:03:24

I try to get out with DH and little dog every day for thirty minute walk. I have a lung condition so it is difficult when it's cold,a wind..takes my breath away. I am really on it with what I,what we both eat. Super healthy food, always have done that. Most recently all but given up alcohol, though staying with old friends this weekend...eeeekwine

monanny Thu 15-Oct-15 13:10:15

Get a dog if possible. I now walk every day without thinking about with my dog. Minimum of two hours and sometimes 3 -4 hours. I must do well over the 10,000 recommended steps. Get a good pair of walking shoes, you feet need to be comfortable doing that amount of walking. I suffer from osteopenia so need to do weight bearing exercise. I sleep well after all this walking and my dog does too!!

monanny Thu 15-Oct-15 13:23:01

Just read jingelbellsfrock comment - I am nearly 64

AdeleJay Thu 15-Oct-15 13:38:04

I agree with monanny that dog walking is brilliant because you have to do it whatever the weather. I also go to the gym at least once but usually twice a week as it helps to keep me comfortable. If I leave it too long my back and shoulder start playing me up. The gym I belong to is full of pensioners and there's no lycra so I don't mind going. Good luck with the fitness crusade Heirofhtedog

Mrsdof Thu 15-Oct-15 13:44:28

I am 66 and have 3 sons and 3 grandchildren. My husband and I try to go to the gym 3 times a week for approx. 90mins on Mon/Wed/Fri and we do a 3-4 mile health walk on Thursdays. But tbh I am not generally a very active person. All the things I like doing are done sitting down, i.e. knitting, reading, doing sudoku and crosswords, hence why I try to go to the gym regularly! Hopefully what I do is enough to keep me reasonably healthy for the next 20 yrs or so!! wink

winifred01 Thu 15-Oct-15 15:32:15

I am 79and have had 2 children, have been going to the gym regularly for past 25 years. Don't do classes but do about 15 mins weights and Pilates and 35 mins either rowing, crosstrainer or walking on jogger( not running). Do this 3 times a week.

libra10 Thu 15-Oct-15 15:48:04

I walk the dog for an hour each day, although with his sniffing and pulling, it's more a case of 'slow, slow, quick, quick, slow ...'

It gets us out of the house though.

TerriBull Thu 15-Oct-15 16:25:16

Also read jing's comment 61, 2 children.

NotTooOld Thu 15-Oct-15 17:18:29

Whoops, TerriBull, I read that as 61.2 children. grin

Longdistancegrnny Thu 15-Oct-15 18:48:44

62 and had three children. I do Pilates twice a week, Aquaerobics once a week, I cycle - try to do a longish ride once or twice a week, and may just cycle to Pilates or go out for a couple of miles if the sun is shining. If I have not done much exercise I go out for a half hour walk in the evening....and have just enrolled in Body Pump after DD dragged me to her class when I was with her in Australia....will see how that goes! Feel better if I do something active, although basically I am a lazy person and would happily curl up and read a good book!

uknana Thu 15-Oct-15 18:52:53

I do a yogalates class on Tuesday, Zumba and Pilates on Thursday and have no guiolt at all. It enables me to attack the wine and gin over the weekend without too much impact wink wine

uknana Thu 15-Oct-15 18:54:19

However, my spelling doesn't improve. I hate predictive text (angry)

uknana Thu 15-Oct-15 18:55:15

...and I need to read instructions on smileys..

Maywalk Thu 15-Oct-15 19:15:21

I keep fit by walking round after my hubby who has Dementia and cant remember where is glasses and walking stick has been placed apart from helping him with many other misplaced items. As soon as my bum says Hello to a chair he has lost something else.
I cant walk very far anyway because I have a stress fracture in the bottom of my crumbling hip but he certainly keeps me going from morning till night.

I should mention that I am 85 and hubby 87 and I am his carer.

Magicmaggie Fri 16-Oct-15 08:31:29

I'm 68 and try to keep fit.
I'm lucky in that that I live on the side of a hill, and apart from the wonderful views, I get fit mainly by walking down into town and then back up at least three times a week.
It's especially good when I walk up with two bags of heavy shopping in each hand and then I walk the 95 steps up from town and try not to stop for a breather on the way. However, some days are better then others, but I have lived here for 30years and grateful I can still do it.
I also do Zumba Gold once a week and Pilates, and really enjoy them.

Magicmaggie Fri 16-Oct-15 08:42:17

I also have 2 kids and 3 very lively young grandkids 4,7 and 8 years old.
They will insist on me running after them and kicking footballs ( and that 's the girls) etc.
I wish my kids had had them earlier when I was younger and fitter. (Sigh)

inishowen Fri 16-Oct-15 08:42:25

I've being going to a Pilates class for over ten years. We are all ages, from twenties to seventies. Most wear lycra with a loose tee shirt. I dread to think what I'd be like without Pilates as I have bad knees and a bad shoulder. I think I'd be crippled without the exercises.

Icyalittle Fri 16-Oct-15 08:50:02

67, 2 children. I'm born lazy, but can't sit down for five minutes. How on earth do you all find time to do all these things?!! We cancelled the newspaper delivery this year and take it in turns to cycle 5.4 miles round trip to collect it instead. Loads of gardening all year, mountain hiking in the summer but no scheduled classes etc. But from this time of the year we get back into doing a pre-ski exercise DVD 3 times a week because we ski for 6 weeks or so in the new year. I feel really guilty now, off to look for something to join.

Grannyknot Fri 16-Oct-15 09:38:03

What an active bunch of people! [impressed emoticon]

66, 2 children.

I do something called "Fitness Pilates" once a week which is like a cross between yoga and "ordinary" Pilates from what I can make out. I really enjoy it and I am knackered afterwards even although we spend a lot of time lying on a mat doing floorwork.

I also go once a week to a Dancersize class which is basically bopping around the the likes of Neil Sedaka singing "Oh, Carol" for an hour then cappucino after grin

I sing in a choir and I count that as exercise because it is quite physical, we do breathing and voice warm-up exercises for half an beforehand. I am always amazed at how my voice improves and "loosens up" and improves when I haven't been for a while and I go back to the choir.

I walk everywhere and sometimes overdo it when its to to the shops, and then I have to do that thing where you rest or swop hands with the bags en route home.

Minder Fri 16-Oct-15 09:47:24

I'm 63

Gangang Fri 16-Oct-15 13:40:42

I'm quite obsessive about my fitness. I attend 2 studio cycling classes every week, (thinking about taking part in another fitness class called body combat) go on a 5K run once if not twice a week, and walk my spaniel most days. In between, I work for three and a half days a week and child care for one and a half days, and lastly care for my 91 year old mother. I'm not sure how I fit it all in a week, however I believe you need to keep fit and well.

prefect Fri 16-Oct-15 13:47:57

Some impressively fit gransnetters! I do think it is vital to keep as active as possible - I too walk a lot and would (will?) find it hard to adjust if my joints make that more difficult. It is so easy to make it part of everyday routine - always walk rather than drive or take the bus unless weather is an issue.
I have always enjoyed swimming but when working found it hard to keep it up because I am a boring 'serious lengths' swimmer, and when I was free, the pool was too busy. Now I am retired (66, two children) I can find times twice a week when it is possible to swim a mile (64 lengths, 45 mins). As a result I am feeling stronger and fitter than I have in many years - hope I can keep it up for many years to come.

Heckter Fri 16-Oct-15 20:34:22

Whilst walking fast to the hairdresser, took a superwoman pearler in the High St, tripping on uneven paving. Hobbled to hairdresser, where pub next door supplied ice to a rapidly swelling right knee. Agony next day, so to local hospital for x-ray (no damage) and crutches - bliss! Although I do 40 minutes cardio and 40 minutes weight training particularly for my arms and shoulders, twice a week, my arms were in agony after 2 days with crutches, when I was permitted to weight-bear again. My rehab has been speedy and appropriate (I'm a Pilates instructor, aged 65), and made me realise all over again the importance of exercise. Along with gym visits, I walk for an hour each day, and do half an hour of Pilates exercises, so fitter than average.

After reading posts, some suggestions. By the way, I have been known as "the nagger." There is no way of avoiding exercise, which some are trying to persuade doctors to prescribe, as it is really, really important, along with the healthy eating and active stress management to have an enjoyable old age, as you are all very well aware. Trying to break down poor habits is hell, I know.

So, ability and strength to get up and down off the floor vital, and a proper Pilates class will easily accommodate anyone struggling with this. Try to find hills to walk up, to work your cardiovascular system to a state of puffing. Dancing to your music at home is a great way to work up some puff, and use different muscles. That's the concern with osteoporosis and just walking, as there is no weight-bearing of shoulder girdle, elbows and wrists, the latter being particularly vulnerable in a fall. So press-ups need to be added - these can be done against the wall, as well as many other modifications. That's why weight training in the gym is particularly useful. And, by the way, we all eventually get osteoporosis, if we live long enough.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 16-Oct-15 23:16:55

Okay, I just have to ask about all the dog walking. Although I enjoy dog walking and it gets me out in the fresh air, it's always been stop start as I wait for the dogs to finish sniffing (and other stuff grin. Unless we're on a pavement our dogs are off the lead. So, are you all walking your dogs on the lead? Dog walking to me is much more of a stroll. Tell me more please! grin

Iam64 Sat 17-Oct-15 08:39:39

Wilma, good point about the stop start element of dog walking. The sniffing and other stuff is totally eclipsed by the high prey urge of my older dog and the over enthusiasm shown by the younger dog to follow this lead.
If we're walking on lead, we go at a brisk pace. I let the dogs off in quiet areas or on our round the (3 mile) reservoir walks. I keep up the brisk pace and the dogs gallop along, occasionally leaping in for a swim (no no, don't chase those ducks). If it becomes too stop/start, back on the leads they go for a quiet calm down moment.
I do have some advice, don't fall for the lovely doodle nature, disney designed me looks, these dogs are not for the faint hearted grin